Sikhs Allowed To Carry Kirpan (knives) To Olympic Events


dumpthemonarchy
#1
http://www.bclocalnews.com/breaking_news/64454892.html

Sikhs can wear kirpans to Vancouver 2010 Games venues

By Black Press - Surrey North Delta Leader

Published: October 15, 2009 4:00 PM
Updated: October 16, 2009 9:41 AM

0 Comments

Baptized Sikhs will be allowed to wear the kirpan (the ceremonial dagger that is worn as an article of religious faith) to the winter Olympics, with certain restrictions.


The RCMP announced the guidelines Thursday, saying they were developed in consultation with representatives of the Sikh community.
A written statement said the standards will "provide reasonable accommodation for religious freedoms as defined by Canadian laws and values, while clearly identifying the conditions under which the kirpan may be worn."


The RCMP Integrated Security Unit said it has found very few examples of a kirpan being used as a weapon and believes they will pose no additional risk at the venues.


Anyone wearing a kirpan must inform Olympic security personnel before they are screened and will have to meet the following stipulations:


1. All articles of faith (traditional clothing, bracelt and ceremonial comb) must be worn.


2. The maximum length of the kirpan, including the sheath, cannot exceed 7.5 inches with a blade not more than four inches and a handle

of two inches or less.


3. The kirpan must be worn in keeping with Sikh traditions, which means being secured into its sheath, attached to a fabric belt and worn across the torso.


4. And the kirpan must be worn under clothing and not easily accessible.


==============


Totally wrong. No one should be allowed to carry a knife at an Olympic event in 2010. Western civilization had a scientific revolution (Da Vinci, Newton, Copernicus, etc) that showed religion didn't exist because it cannot be proven. So the word atheist came into the language. This is a backward step for our civilization, and a govt agency to boot, enforcing this.
Last edited by Ron in Regina; Oct 21st, 2009 at 05:15 PM..Reason: Removed Links to several other unrelated newspaper stories, & code to a picture that didn't take.
 
AnnaG
#2
Perhaps you better take over security then, DTM.
 
Kakato
#3
The ol tazer trigger fingers could get a bit itchy.

As long as no ones packing a stapler they should be ok.
 
Johnnny
#4
are kirpans a religous icon or item? if so isnt it illegal to showcase religous icons if they are in public?
 
AnnaG
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

are kirpans a religous icon or item? if so isnt it illegal to showcase religous icons if they are in public?

You missed the part in red?

Quote:

Anyone wearing a kirpan must inform Olympic security personnel before they are screened and will have to meet the following stipulations:


1. All articles of faith (traditional clothing, bracelt and ceremonial comb) must be worn.


2. The maximum length of the kirpan, including the sheath, cannot exceed 7.5 inches with a blade not more than four inches and a handle

of two inches or less.


3. The kirpan must be worn in keeping with Sikh traditions, which means being secured into its sheath, attached to a fabric belt and worn across the torso.


4. And the kirpan must be worn under clothing and not easily accessible.

 
Colpy
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post



==============


. Western civilization had a scientific revolution (Da Vinci, Newton, Copernicus, etc) that showed religion didn't exist because it cannot be proven. So the word atheist came into the language. .

A degree in History??????

Sir Isaac Newton was profoundly religious, and based much of his numerlogical investigation on biblical texts.....he did depart from the Anglican Church, but was in no way an Athiest.

Copernicus became a Canon of the Catholic Church in 1497...........his research was supported and encouraged by the Pope of the time......Atheist? I don't think so....

And most ludicrous of all, the idea that da Vinci, the painter of The Last Supper was atheist......

These great thinkers were unanimous about one thing....the existence of God.

I agree with you on your stand on the kirpan, only because the right to go armed should certainly not simply be based on a religious pretext.....but you should think before you post.
 
petros
#7
The white kids will be packing heat.
 
Kakato
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

The white kids will be packing heat.

You mean tazers?
 
petros
#9
No the govt kills with tazers. The White kids in BC prefer automatics.
 
Colpy
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

The white kids will be packing heat.

I certainly hope so!
 
petros
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

I certainly hope so!


Good luck getting ammo. There is a shortage lately.
 
Colpy
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Good luck getting ammo. There is a shortage lately.

I've got lots.....and lots and lots.

Need some?

 
petros
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

I've got lots.....and lots and lots.

Need some?

I have all I need. It's my America friends who came up to hunt geese. They can't find any at home.
 
petros
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

I've got lots.....and lots and lots.

Need some?

Ammo hard to find as gun owners stock up - CNN.com
 
bobnoorduyn
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Good luck getting ammo. There is a shortage lately.

That's why I make my own, though it has gotten a little more expensive lately for jacketed stuff.
 
bobnoorduyn
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

are kirpans a religous icon or item? if so isnt it illegal to showcase religous icons if they are in public?

Ummm, no.
 
TenPenny
#17
I like the requirements that all religious symbols must be worn.

In other words, the RCMP are saying that if you're going to play the 'religion' card, you're going to have to go the full deal.
 
Johnnny
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduynView Post

Ummm, no.

i guess i got it mixed with icons. Just as long as they arent promoting there religon... Im just touching back on that elephant/calgary zoo thing(which i dont see as a hindu deity anyways), and the fact i cant say merry christmas lol

BUT if these knifes are no different then the turbans, and those hats the jewish people wear then im not worried...
Last edited by Johnnny; Oct 20th, 2009 at 08:20 AM..
 
Zan
#19
Ludicrous. PC runs amok again.

I cannot even begin to fathom what kind of crack these people are smoking if they think a religion is grounds to carry a weapon where no others would be allowed to. They need to step back and think about what they're expecting us to swallow.

And Johnny you're right - if long standing Canadian traditional customs are being mangled in favour of Politifecal Correctness (ie how Christmas, Halloween etc are (not)celebrated in our schools) then religions that expect such concessions from us should damn well be willing to concede a few of their own customs that might be offensive to us... like... oh I dunno... carrying concealed friggin weapons to public events?!?!!

This is one of the most blatant examples of PC hypocrisy I've ever heard of. It really pissed me off.
 
karrie
#20
I was always under the impression that religious freedom meant freedom to practise, and freedom from government suppression, in places that one is entitle or obligated to be (school, work, etc), but, not the freedom to practise/express religion in places that one isn't 'entitled' to. No one is entitled or obligated to go to the Olympics. They go by choice, and only as allowed by tickets, etc. Freedom of religion doesn't apply there, imo.
 
Cliffy
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by ZanView Post


This is one of the most blatant examples of PC hypocrisy I've ever heard of. It really pissed me off.

Yup! This is getting beyond absurd. If one religious observance is objectionable, they all should be or none at all. Political correctness has finally come back to byte us.
 
#juan
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by ZanView Post

Ludicrous. PC runs amok again.

I cannot even begin to fathom what kind of crack these people are smoking if they think a religion is grounds to carry a weapon where no others would be allowed to. They need to step back and think about what they're expecting us to swallow.

And Johnny you're right - if long standing Canadian traditional customs are being mangled in favour of Politifecal Correctness (ie how Christmas, Halloween etc are (not)celebrated in our schools) then religions that expect such concessions from us should damn well be willing to concede a few of their own customs that might be offensive to us... like... oh I dunno... carrying concealed friggin weapons to public events?!?!!

This is one of the most blatant examples of PC hypocrisy I've ever heard of. It really pissed me off.

Zan. I think I love you...
 
Zan
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Yup! This is getting beyond absurd. If one religious observance is objectionable, they all should be or none at all. Political correctness has finally come back to byte us.

Yep - PC in it's original incarnation wasn't such a bad idea - but it's been bastardized so badly since then it's almost impossible to recognize the message of mutual tolerance it was initially meant to inspire.
 
Zan
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Zan. I think I love you...

lol oh Juan - my day is complete now! *HUG*
 
gerryh
#25
PC aside, I see intolerance is rampant.

Five Ks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Colpy
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Yup! This is getting beyond absurd. If one religious observance is objectionable, they all should be or none at all. Political correctness has finally come back to byte us.

Cliffy, to me that seems patently ridiculous.......

The offense here is NOT religious observance, it is the carrying of weapons.

I take another tack.......if he can carry his kirpan with impunity, then I should be allowed to carry my Browning P-35 9mm with impunity. Same thing....he is sworn never to go unarmed in defence of his religion, I believe it is the duty of all good citizens to go armed in defence of their freedom.

Each is a matter of conscience.......who is the government to decide one is valid, the other is not?
 
Zan
#27
gerry, I might need you to clarify your intent with that post. Are you saying that it's intolerant to object to somebody carrying weapons? I hope not, but if so, then for the first time in my life to my knowledge, I'll wear that label. I believe it's not a matter of tolerance, it's a matter of good common sense being hijacked under the guise of PC.
 
Colpy
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by ZanView Post

gerry, I might need you to clarify your intent with that post. Are you saying that it's intolerant to object to somebody carrying weapons? I hope not, but if so, then for the first time in my life to my knowledge, I'll wear that label. I believe it's not a matter of tolerance, it's a matter of good common sense being hijacked under the guise of PC.

I think it is intolerant to object to somebody carrying weapons.... Surprized??????

Seriously...I do not understand why certain segments of the population are allowed to carry arms, and some are not. It is the absolute antithesis of the theory of equality under the law.

Of course, there are some that would accuse me of being a few rounds short of a full magazine.....
 
gerryh
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by ZanView Post

gerry, I might need you to clarify your intent with that post. Are you saying that it's intolerant to object to somebody carrying weapons? I hope not, but if so, then for the first time in my life to my knowledge, I'll wear that label. I believe it's not a matter of tolerance, it's a matter of good common sense being hijacked under the guise of PC.


I posted a link to the basic what's, why's, and reason's for the 5 K's of Baptised Sihks. If after reading it, you still don't understand why Baptised Sihks are required to wear the Kirpan, then there is nothing else I can say.
 
karrie
#30
understanding why they wear them is the same thing as thinking there ought to be exceptions to security rules?
 

Similar Threads

0
Kershaw Shun knives
by Brinkley | Oct 14th, 2007
0
Sikhs celebrate England's new cricket icon
by Blackleaf | Aug 5th, 2006
23
France Says Sikhs Must Remove Turbans
by I think not | Mar 8th, 2006
no new posts