Time to Abolish Cdn Human Rights Commission, They Hate Debate


dumpthemonarchy
+1
#1
A CTV "debate" fizzles as HCHR head said she would not appear with Ezra Levant on TV. What they wanted and what they got was a completely controlled discussion with no rebuttals and no give and take between two individuals. This is one of the basis of democracy. Ezra Had to be silent while the CHRC person was asked questions. Then Ezra got his chance to speak. Ezra was all specifics, CHRC all generalities. The CHRC did not want to appear at all with Ezra, but the CTV did not agree-good for CTV.

The CHRC has shown they don't know what free speech is so they cannot regulate it. So, it's time to abolish the CHRC. Game over.

The CTV show Power Play.
Power Play : Friday, June 12
(it loads really slow)
 
dumpthemonarchy
+2
#2
I was on the fence regarding the CHRC until I saw this video. Then it tipped me against them because I was appalled at their arrogant attitude.
 
johnnyhangover
+1
#3
Agreed. All the necessary human rights are covered in the charter. All this comission does is stifle free -albeit ignorant- speech. All they do is try and prevent people from being offended. It's ridiculous.
 
Niflmir
+1
#4
He who has a hammer sees every problem as a nail.

Why seek remedial solutions when one has punitive ones?

There are better ways of righting wrongs than the justice system.
 
Niflmir
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by johnnyhangoverView Post

Agreed. All the necessary human rights are covered in the charter. All this comission does is stifle free -albeit ignorant- speech. All they do is try and prevent people from being offended. It's ridiculous.

Maybe you need to read the charter. And pay particular attention to the very first section.

What good are rights without protecting said rights? Who amongst us thinks that rights do not sometimes conflict or that some rights are absolute?
 
johnnyhangover
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

He who has a hammer sees every problem as a nail.

Why seek remedial solutions when one has punitive ones?

There are better ways of righting wrongs than the justice system.

based on what you posted i'm not sure if you are for or against the commission. surely you aren't implying the commission dishes out justice?
 
Niflmir
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by johnnyhangoverView Post

based on what you posted i'm not sure if you are for or against the commission. surely you aren't implying the commission dishes out justice?

The commission does nothing but act as a door keeper for the tribunal? Are you conflating the two?
 
johnnyhangover
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

Maybe you need to read the charter. And pay particular attention to the very first section.

What good are rights without protecting said rights? Who amongst us thinks that rights do not sometimes conflict or that some rights are absolute?

uh, that's PRECISELY why we have the judiciary. and what about the first section gives you a headache?
 
Niflmir
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by johnnyhangoverView Post

uh, that's PRECISELY why we have the judiciary. and what about the first section gives you a headache?

Nothing. However, it implies that things like the commission are permissable and desirable.
 
Niflmir
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by johnnyhangoverView Post

uh, that's PRECISELY why we have the judiciary.

See, you have a hammer: every problem is a nail.
 
johnnyhangover
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

The commission does nothing but act as a door keeper for the tribunal? Are you conflating the two?

can you please stop answering questions with questions and just clarify your point of view? thanks in advance.
 
Niflmir
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by johnnyhangoverView Post

can you please stop answering questions with questions and just clarify your point of view? thanks in advance.

I think you support censorship.
 
johnnyhangover
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

See, you have a hammer: every problem is a nail.

uh, no. you've completely missed it. every problem is NOT a "nail", as the commission would have us believe. Many issues the commission deals with are not human rights violations, and so are not worthy of the judiciary OR the commission, even though they would have us believe they are. If someone's human rights have truely been violated then the courts are more than capable of handing down a decision.
 
johnnyhangover
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

I think you support censorship.

based on what?
 
Niflmir
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by johnnyhangoverView Post

uh, no. you've completely missed it. every problem is NOT a "nail", as the commission would have us believe. Many issues the commission deals with are not human rights violations, and so are not worthy of the judiciary OR the commission, even though they would have us believe they are. If someone's human rights have truely been violated then the courts are more than capable of handing down a decision.

Do you mean the tribunal? Certainly many of the cases heard by the commission are not violations and this is why they do not send it to the tribunal.

The hammer is the justice system and its punitive solutions which the tribunal does not dish out. The tribunal seeks remedial solutions.

Quote: Originally Posted by johnnyhangoverView Post

based on what?

Based on the fact that I don't hear you clamoring for changes to our libel laws.
 
Socrates the Greek
#16
Time to Abolish Cdn Human Rights Commission, They Hate Debate,


That is a scary thought as well the gateway to a revolution.
 
johnnyhangover
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

Do you mean the tribunal? Certainly many of the cases heard by the commission are not violations and this is why they do not send it to the tribunal.

The hammer is the justice system and its punitive solutions which the tribunal does not dish out. The tribunal seeks remedial solutions.



Based on the fact that I don't hear you clamoring for changes to our libel laws.

First, libel laws have nothing to do with human rights.

Second, If human rights have been violated, the violator is guilty under the charter. If the tribunal is seeking "remedial" solutions, it's because someone offended someone else, but didn't violate there charter rights. this makes them useless.

Third, by your logic the tribunal would seek "remedial" solutions for things like genocide and other hate crimes.

sillyness.
 
Niflmir
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by johnnyhangoverView Post

First, libel laws have nothing to do with human rights.

Ok, we cannot continue this conversation due to your ignorance. Go read up on libel lawsuits and people arguing that they violate section 2 of the charter and the courts agreeing with them.

Here (external - login to view), I have done your work for you.
 
johnnyhangover
#19
read your own link, clearly there are 2 seperate charges. one for libel, and one for violation of freedom of expression. nowhere in the freedom of expression charge does it mention libel.

i await your apology.
 
JLM
#20
Where the hell is S.J. when we need him, he knows all there is to know about all that stuff
 
dumpthemonarchy
+2
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Socrates the GreekView Post

Time to Abolish Cdn Human Rights Commission, They Hate Debate,


That is a scary thought as well the gateway to a revolution.

Revolution by who? I will guess by people like me. I'm not that revolutionary I think. It didn't take a revolution to install Human Rights Commissions across the country, so why would it take one to abolish them? HRCs were installed through legislation, which most don't consider revolutionary actions.

HRCs should not be used to prevent free speech. For jobs and housing they have a role and do a decent job in BC as they stay within firm boundaries and few complain about them in the province. If you read some cases in BC, which are on the web, some of the cases are very sad.

The fed HRC in Ottawa preaches tolerance but they don't practice it, so they have nullified their existence. Hoisted on their own petard. And on video!!!
 
Colpy
+1
#22
Well, having lost Section 13, the HRC's have decided to trash the country by ruining professional standards,,,,,,

Sun News : Another day, another reason to end human rights commissions (external - login to view)
 
BornRuff
+3 / -1
#23
To be fair, not wanting to appear with Ezra Levant is not the same as being against debate in general.

It is wise for anyone with any self respect to steer clear of that guy, since he clearly has none himself.
 
pgs
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Well, having lost Section 13, the HRC's have decided to trash the country by ruining professional standards,,,,,,

Sun News : Another day, another reason to end human rights commissions (external - login to view)

Every one has the right to the job of their choice don't you know .
How can I get on one of these commissions ?
 
Liberalman
+1 / -1
#25
Why isn't CHRC applied to organized religion? At least they can pay some taxes to help the government's bottom line
 
BornRuff
+2 / -1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Why isn't CHRC applied to organized religion? At least they can pay some taxes to help the government's bottom line

Freedom of religion is one of the "Fundamental Freedoms" in the charter.

Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Well, having lost Section 13, the HRC's have decided to trash the country by ruining professional standards,,,,,,

Sun News : Another day, another reason to end human rights commissions (external - login to view)

Another example of why you should never look to Ezra Levant for information on anything.

While the decision is certainly controversial, this whole article is pretty much one big lie by omission. He is misrepresenting the situation by leaving out all information on the actual substance of the complaint and making it seem like the tests he had to pass were exactly the same as all other foreign trained engineers.

Simons: Alberta Human Rights tribunal finds APEGA‚€™s treatment of foreign-trained engineers discriminatory (external - login to view)
Last edited by BornRuff; Feb 18th, 2014 at 01:17 PM..
 
Liberalman
+2
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

Freedom of religion is one of the "Fundamental Freedoms" in the charter.

Paying of taxes by churches does not infringe on the rights of freedom of religion. everybody has freedoms under the Charter yet we pay taxes.

Organized religions send the majority of donations or tithes out of this country where other countries benefit and our government or us is left holding the bag.
 
Colpy
+1
#28
Chris Selley: Rights tribunal says immigrant who failed engineering exam three times was discriminated against | National Post
 
BornRuff
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Paying of taxes by churches does not infringe on the rights of freedom of religion. everybody has freedoms under the Charter yet we pay taxes.

Organized religions send the majority of donations or tithes out of this country where other countries benefit and our government or us is left holding the bag.

The tax code has nothing to do with the human rights commission, so I was ignoring that part.

Churches have been taken before human rights commissions in Canada for various things, but as I said, since the charter protects religious freedom, there are limited things directly related to religious practices that would be dealt with in that forum.
 
DaSleeper
#30
Now there you go muddying the water for poor Ruff's narrow viewed bias with the fact that the National Post and Levant are in agreement.......
 

Similar Threads

0
Canadia human Rights Commission caught spying
by darkbeaver | Jan 17th, 2008
63
Is it time to abolish parliament?
by atlanticaparty | Feb 28th, 2007
no new posts