Hey, recession no problem !!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
According to Flatulance:

Recession a 'relatively mild' challenge for Canada: Flaherty

I imagine he'll do quite well, being one of those who helped hold Ontario down while Mike Harris raped her.

:angry3:

When compared to Third World Countries (and even some second world countries) I guess he's right. Most Canadians are still getting 3 squares a day and have a roof over their heads. When the N.H.L. playoffs start I doubt if there will be many empty seats in the arena. Apparently new car sales and house sales were up last month, so I guess a lot of the indicators look favourable. Being optimistic is a hell of a lot healthier than being pessimistic- while at the same time being a realist and preparing for whatever battle you do have to engage in.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
When compared to Third World Countries (and even some second world countries) I guess he's right. Most Canadians are still getting 3 squares a day and have a roof over their heads. When the N.H.L. playoffs start I doubt if there will be many empty seats in the arena. Apparently new car sales and house sales were up last month, so I guess a lot of the indicators look favourable. Being optimistic is a hell of a lot healthier than being pessimistic- while at the same time being a realist and preparing for whatever battle you do have to engage in.

Yes, positive thoughts are dandy, and it would be nice if our economy hadn't been offshored and indebted, and there were a couple hundred thousand jobs available to replace the jobs lost to the "global economy" . That's just in Southern Ont. alone.

Alberta's just now experiencing a meltdown. That will end, when.............

I like to view the world through lenses which are not rose tinted.

Helps when looking at the enemy in "whatever battle you do have to engage in"

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think Southern Ontario has to shoulder some of the blame for the predicament they are in. Automakers wages didn't jive with the product they are putting out, whereas manufacturers like Toyota have a good reputation for quality and are considered by many to be a better bang for the buck, and that the main thing people are going to consider before they spend their money. We are in a world situation now and the reality is we have to compete with people who are willing ot work 12-14 hours a day at half the wage and we are probably going to have tog get used to it or go under.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think Southern Ontario has to shoulder some of the blame for the predicament they are in. Automakers wages didn't jive with the product they are putting out,

More like the product they offer is plastic garbage at super inflated prices. $5000 - $6000 LABOUR and materials is the cost to a vehicle whether a a Caddy Escalade or Geo Metro....How would wages impact anything when the profit is at minimum double the input costs from materials to paper cups for the coffee at the dealership.

How do you justify $6000 in materials and labour being sold for $60K?

You fell for what they want you to believe, that it is your fault they are doing so badly when it is the product they sell.

I really hope you also don't believe the bull**** of the myth they pump called growth?

Growth is merely inflation wrapped up to look pretty.

Be careful of what you believe on the alleged news.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I think Southern Ontario has to shoulder some of the blame for the predicament they are in. Automakers wages didn't jive with the product they are putting out, whereas manufacturers like Toyota have a good reputation for quality and are considered by many to be a better bang for the buck, and that the main thing people are going to consider before they spend their money. We are in a world situation now and the reality is we have to compete with people who are willing ot work 12-14 hours a day at half the wage and we are probably going to have tog get used to it or go under.

True enough, JLM; but the auto workers didn't decide which models of junk to produce, they just bargained like buggers for the best deal for them. Now it looks like they too may not have pensions.

Just something else "we may have to get used to"

Even when GM and Chrysler KNEW people weren't buying their stuff, they just changed models and kept on crankin them out.

Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, heeded the call to quality and reaped the rewards. Too bad they too are getting hit by the "global economy"

Far as I'm concerned, "global economy" is a room full of CEO's saying; "we're going to kick you in the nuts, take the money, and go home..............

:cool:

We lived all our lives on a fraction of an auto workers wage...no complaints here.....go figure.

:scratch:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
True enough, JLM; but the auto workers didn't decide which models of junk to produce, they just bargained like buggers for the best deal for them. Now it looks like they too may not have pensions.

Even when GM and Chrysler KNEW people weren't buying their stuff, they just changed models and kept on crankin them out.

Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, heeded the call to quality and reaped the rewards. Too bad they too are getting hit by the "global economy"

Far as I'm concerned, "global economy" is a room full of CEO's saying; "we're going to kick you in the nuts, take the money, and go home..............

We lived all our lives on a fraction of an auto workers wage...no complaints here.....go figure.

If the workers lose their pensions, I feel the "bigwigs" should lose their pensions as well. Why should they be allowed to have it since they are just as much to blame as anyone else is in this fiasco.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If the workers lose their pensions, I feel the "bigwigs" should lose their pensions as well. Why should they be allowed to have it since they are just as much to blame as anyone else is in this fiasco.
That's not going to happen in this fascist nation.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

You're absolutely right you can't blame the workers except to the degree they got sucked in by the Union who obviously doesn't have one iota of math skills and they should probably be in jail for misrepresentation. Whether it's true or not I don't know but I heard just today that G.M. employees was costing the company $75.00 when fringe benefits and pensions are included. No wonder a friggin' pickup costs $40 - $50 grand. Obscene.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Hmm.... I wonder if there's a way I can implicate Harris.... He DID sorta eye Harper's job....

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
$75.00 when fringe benefits and pensions are included. No wonder a friggin' pickup costs $40 - $50 grand. Obscene
Materials and LABOUR for a vehicle is $5000 - $6000 whether geo metro or caddy.

Explain where labour fits into a $40,000 price tag JLM.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We still haven't felt the effects of the commercial real estate scam. Home mortgages that were decimated are S.F.A. compared to what will hit next.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Materials and LABOUR for a vehicle is $5000 - $6000 whether geo metro or caddy.

I have a couple of suggestions 1. The $5000- $6000 figure is pure bull****. and 2. That figure only covers the labour costs of assembly on the assy. line, not the cost of manufacturing component parts like distributors, coils, transmissions, wheels etc. I know that some would like to say the rest is profit. When you say "labour costs" don't you mean all salary costs. I know several years ago the manufacturers made no profit on new vehicles but made up for it on the parts they sold later. One thing we do know for sure Petros- someone somewhere is putting out a lot of Bullsh*t & I suspect it's the Unions, but can't prove it.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Agreed and also - if the workers roll back their wages, so should the CEO's. 100% of CEO's are over paid.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Quoting petros Materials and LABOUR for a vehicle is $5000 - $6000 whether geo metro or caddy.
I have a couple of suggestions 1. The $5000- $6000 figure is pure bull****. and 2. That figure only covers the labour costs of assembly on the assy. line, not the cost of manufacturing component parts like distributors, coils, transmissions, wheels etc.​
Did you bother to look it up? The majority of the work is done by unpaid machines and automated equipment. Once the vehicle is out of the factory door the consumer picks up all the costs from that point on from freight to to extras like a lighter and ashtray which the dealership will gladly install for $350. Is that ashtray and lighter and the $20 labour to install really come to $350? YEAH RIGHT!​