Melting ice cap could cause sea to rise by seven metres

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
We’re sinking
We’re sinking - Nova Scotia News - TheChronicleHerald.ca

More cities on the east and west coasts of North America would be under water if a massive Antarctic ice sheet melts completely, according to a new study that claims the rate of sea level rise is higher than previously thought.

NEW?!!

Do any of you remember me telling you they pulled this crap back in the 80's? How New York was supposed to be under 7 metres of ocean by 1996 because of the ice caps melting? I knew it was only a matter of time when they brought this crap back up...... :roll:

The report, to be published today in the journal Science, finds the current estimate of global sea rise is inaccurate because it doesn’t consider three geophysical factors if the West Antarctic ice sheet melts.

The paper says that the average estimate of a five-metre sea level rise should actually go up to seven metres.

^ Whoa.... Ah! See There it is!!! 7 Metres.... Where did I hear this before?

The seemingly small difference could submerge much of southern Florida, San Francisco, New York and Washington, D.C., while inundating parts of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, P.E.I. and British Columbia with water.

"If the West Antarctic ice sheet completely collapses, the U.S. and Canadian coasts will be inundated by six to seven metres of additional water, not five metres as people previously thought," said Jerry Mitrovica, a geophysicist at the University of Toronto who co-wrote the report.

"So that’s a lot of excess water on coastal sites that have a lot of population."

Blah blah blah...... and 2/3's of the planets population will die IF the moon falls from the sky and smacks us. :roll:

The research finds that the sea level rise would be 30 per cent higher in San Francisco and about 25 per cent higher in Washington, while Tokyo would experience a sea level rise almost 20 per cent greater than thought earlier.

Communities on Canada’s coasts would likely see an increase in excess of six metres.

Heard it all before... about 20 years ago..... it never happened.... and 20 years from now, they'll bring it back up again.

The scientists said the previous estimate, which is supported by the renowned Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, is too simplistic because it doesn’t include several natural effects.

Mitrovica said there is a gravitational pull on the ocean when an ice sheet melts, which in this case would push water away from the sheet and toward the North American continent.

More water would also be pushed north if the ice sheet melts and fills a depression on the Antarctic bedrock that supports the large swath of ice.

The melt would also cause the Earth’s rotation axis to shift dramatically and cause water to move away from the southern Atlantic and Pacific oceans toward North America and the Indian Ocean, the report says.

The West Antarctic ice sheet towers 1,800 metres above sea level, has a volume of water 100 times the amount in all the Great Lakes and is roughly the size of Ontario.

It’s not clear how quickly the sheet is melting, but over the last 100 years the average sea level rise has been two millimetres a year, something Mitrovica said is likely now 50 per cent higher.

Is it sea level increase or erosion your confusing yourself with?

The funny thing is my great grandfathers' house/farm has been on the coast of the south shore since the early 1900's and many of the same rocks in photos and home videos, etc. are all exactly where they were way back then.... his house hasn't sunk into the ocean yet.

I think someone's trying to be the next Al Gore.

Peter Clark, a professor of geoscience at Oregon State University, said no one knows how quickly or if the entire ice sheet will melt, but he warns that policy makers should use the new data in their planning.

He said a dramatic melt would also cause higher rates of coastal erosion, greater damage from major storm events and problems with groundwater salinization.

"Many coastal areas need to plan for greater sea level rise than they may have expected," said Clark, who co-authored the report.

I don't think anybody has been planning anything around here, because it's a load of crap.

The danger with the West Antarctic sheet is that it’s largely submerged and is exposed to a warming ocean, which leaves it more prone to collapsing due to climate change.

Ah, I see they finally dropped the whole Global Warming crap since now they claim we're going into a Global Cooling. What a joke.

And the warming ocean will melt it quicker? How about the flip side that it will cool it down? It can and will work both ways, that's nature..... another factor they forgot to put into their calculations.

The faster the water warms, the greater risk the ice sheet will collapse. And Mitrovica says the effects will not be uniform around the world, with some regions being hit harder by the increased rate.

The sea level rise would also likely be affected by what happens in other areas, like the Greenland ice sheet and mountain glaciers, which could add to the rate of increase.

"This is only part of the story, but it’s enough of a story to alert people," Mitrovica said.

Yeah whatever.

I have said many times in many other threads about all the studies and reports I remember growing up and that scared the crap out of me..... not one damn one of them came true and all of this 7 metre flooding, etc. was supposed to hit us by 1996..... but then right around '92-93, all the talk just went hush hush....

..... and here it is again...... the exact same damn predictions, the exact same numbers!

Now granted, I can't find any sources online of the predictions I keep talking about, but of course that is because there wasn't much of a mainstream internet back then to store this stuff.... but if I was lying, how did I somehow get the exact same numbers and predictions as they have now?

Either I'm telling the truth, or I can predict the future.... and if I can predict the future, then I know they're full of crap and either way, it's not going to happen.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Added:

Oh and one thing I did notice about this report is that they didn't give a time table this time around.... no predicted dates to disprove.... just more fearmongering.

Well, expect boat sales to rise in the next couple of years like the fancy fluorescent screw balls.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Oh great, yeah.... 300 years from now, lol..... when we're all long and dead and they don't have to face the music that they're wrong. Frig.... what a joke.

We are in a Global Planetary Meltdown...the planet has a fever... we are in a global emergency...a planetary crisis...

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
We are in a Global Planetary Meltdown...the planet has a fever... we are in a global emergency...a planetary crisis...

The Earth has a Fever, Mr. Anderson.... and Humans are the Virus.... and flushing the toilet is the cure.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
The sheet has always been unstable, even a small retreat could be problematic. The isostatic head and something about it's position and the way it slopes, make it dicey, all the time.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
The sheet has always been unstable, even a small retreat could be problematic. The isostatic head and something about it's position and the way it slopes, make it dicey, all the time.

Said

I put in a call to Jens Bischof is author of Ice Drift, Ocean Circulation And Climate Change and is a research assistant professor in Old Dominion’s Department of Ocean, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences.

The response I got was "maybe, possibly, could be, if, in theory you subject water to a point below 0C, it might freeze.

Whew!!! He/She had to run though as he/she had an imminent interview with the National Enquirer on the Jerry Springer show..., but will get back to me after a few more studies that could possibly (in theory) might lead in a completely different direction (right after he washes his thesis advisor's car)

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
It's like saying the leaning tower of Pisa could, based on it's design, and under the right conditions, fall over. our models are unable to display the scientific blah, blah, physics blah blah. BUT IT COULD HAPPEN!

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
It's like saying the leaning tower of Pisa could, based on it's design, and under the right conditions, fall over. our models are unable to display the scientific blah, blah, physics blah blah. BUT IT COULD HAPPEN!

If the "lip" of the sheet regresses, the mass would have a 6-10 fold reggresion (over and under). The "pseudo scientists" here fail to realize that. Ice doesn't "just melt" on one axis

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

Exactly.... .could, would, should, unless they have some actual evidence that it will, when and how.... they should stick their crap up their arse and get back to work until they do.

It's like the whole 3rd hand smoking crap..... they say there could, might, maybe be a connection to health problems, and then they went on a huge campaign on their assumptions without proof and openly claimed they're doing so to help curb people from smoking in their homes, or basically anywhere else in the universe.

Based on assumptions.

^ It's this kind of scientific crap that bugs the hell out of me and makes them no different then those creationist loonies heading to Africa to look for dinos.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Said

I put in a call to Jens Bischof is author of Ice Drift, Ocean Circulation And Climate Change and is a research assistant professor in Old Dominion’s Department of Ocean, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences.

The response I got was "maybe, possibly, could be, if, in theory you subject water to a point below 0C, it might freeze.

Whew!!! He/She had to run though as he/she had an imminent interview with the National Enquirer on the Jerry Springer show..., but will get back to me after a few more studies that could possibly (in theory) might lead in a completely different direction (right after he washes his thesis advisor's car)

LOL.

What Tyr... don't want to take a shot at the original poster? What a wus.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Good to see you back eaglet. My day was void of comedy so far...so things are looking up

What you mean is that I am in your thoughts all day and you need my attention.

Basically what you have done is laid a virtual ball at my feet like any good dog would do to its Master when he wants to play "fetch".

So why don't you add your two cents to the silliness of rising sea levels instead of panting at my feet?