Mumbai's 9/11 finally over

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Yet another example of man's inhumanity to man:

Police declare Mumbai siege over

Advertisement

Blaze at the Taj Mahal hotel

Indian officials have said the siege at Mumbai's Taj Mahal hotel is over, after the last few militants were killed.
Mumbai police commissioner Hassan Gafoor said: "All combat operations are over. All the terrorists have been killed."
Commandos began a new assault early on Saturday as fighting that had claimed at least 144 lives entered a third day.
The commando chief told reporters three militants had been killed but his men still had to check all the hotel rooms.
JK Dutt, head of the elite national Security Guards commando force, said a body seen thrown out of a window of the landmark hotel was that of one of the militants, Reuters reports.
Speaking to media outside the hotel, he appealed for any guests still hiding in the building to make their presence known and warned that some small explosions might still be heard as the clearing operation continued.
See a detailed map of the area

On Friday, almost 100 people were rescued from a second hotel, and six bodies were found at a Jewish centre.
India's foreign minister has said "elements with links to Pakistan" were involved in the attacks on Mumbai. However, his Pakistani counterpart has urged India not to bring politics into the issue, saying "we should join hands to defeat the enemy". 'Ultimate sacrifice'...

the rest here:
BBC NEWS | South Asia | Police declare Mumbai siege over

This couple is dead leaving an orphan. They look so young..

Timeline: Mumbai attacks
In pictures: Mumbai crisis
Inquiry into 'UK role' in attack

The organisation confirmed that Rabbi Gavriel Holtzberg, 29, had been killed alongside his wife, Rivka. Their two-year-old son survived.
The Holtzbergs had moved to India in 2003 from New York to run the Mumbai branch of the outreach organisation, which offers services and hospitality to Jewish travellers. The bodies were removed from the building early on Saturday.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Police declare Mumbai siege over

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
This whole thing was shockingly sad. We watched it on the news all day at work. India has been dealing with terrorists for a LONG time.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
EAO, I have to use this opportunity to make a point:

How many Jews do you think there are in India?????? A few thousand, maybe, out of close to a billion people?

Yet what race was singled out for death? What community Centre attacked? The Jewish one.

This is the way it has been for Jews for hundreds and hundreds of years. Always singled out for, ghettoization, scape-goating, eviction, and murder. The Holocaust was simply the worst example of an unending string of Jew-murder throughout the world........they have no place, and no peace.

This will never end. It is why the Jews need their own state......and need it worse than any other entity.

Israel exists because it is a necessity, and it has to be a Jewish state.........

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
This tragic event raises some questions in my mind. According to reliable sources the terrorists gained access to the city by boat and had been in there for a day or two. What type of port security does India have? Considering previous experiences with terrorist activities was there a heightened level of security? The selection of US, British or Jewish people signals a shift in the operations of the clandestine terrorist groups. This group appears to have been well trained, knew the community and layout of the affected buildings well and while small in number had a very effective plan. We all have to be thankful this didn't occur on our soil. Hang on though. More of these attacks are coming. The only questions are when and where.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
This tragic event raises some questions in my mind. According to reliable sources the terrorists gained access to the city by boat and had been in there for a day or two. What type of port security does India have? Considering previous experiences with terrorist activities was there a heightened level of security? The selection of US, British or Jewish people signals a shift in the operations of the clandestine terrorist groups. This group appears to have been well trained, knew the community and layout of the affected buildings well and while small in number had a very effective plan. We all have to be thankful this didn't occur on our soil. Hang on though. More of these attacks are coming. The only questions are when and where.
And you know more attacks are coming, how?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
And you know more attacks are coming, how?

The same way I know the sun is coming up tomorrow.......it did yesterday, and the day before, and the day before, etc.

Sheesh!

what, do you think we killed all the Islamo-fascists in Afghanistan??????

They will not stop, you know.

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
Scratch,
13 attacks in India in 16 months. Just look at the situation realistically. If you consider this terrorist activity in the Middle and Far East in total the attacks average one a month for the past two years. More is coming. Count on it.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
This group appears to have been well trained, knew the community and layout of the affected buildings well and while small in number had a very effective plan.

Yup, must have been very well planned considering the number of killed and wounded. I would suspect they had caches of weapons and ammo stashed away somewhere in the hotels. One of the captured terrorists said they lived in the area for a while. An interview with someone on scene said some were recognized as kitchen workers in the hotel.

Who knows, too soon to tell what's true or not.

I was actually expecting a lot more of these types of attacks since that sniper episode in the DC area a few years ago. If you think about it this kind of attack would be quite easy to implement in the U.S.

I agree with you normy, just a matter of time before it happens here.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
"Are we adults or terrorist's?".Said the man in gold rimmed glasses!

Before we all get too caught up in international, foreign affairs in India..Let's find out what all the Real facts are...

1st of all....

why India?

..There is war and "terrorism " all over the world!(under the definition of terrorism)...Some much worse than India's unfortunate situation!..I try to stay away from conspiracy theories(lol).But somertimes ,If used properly ,"out there theories"..Can help you distinqush between B.S. and true facts!.....Here's what could have happened ....Dissprove it...!

A small number of people hangin out at the taj had some fire works...One of the guys lit a firework as a joke in his buddies hand...The fire work went off in the hotel causing panic in an already nervous,high tension area...Caused a riot..Military, not knowing exactly what the situation was, moved in causing further chaos..Other gangs of poor,possibly drugged up "wanna be militants" took advantage of the sitiuation ,and exploited it even further ..They jumped into the fire and began to piledge the village ..Take advantage of the wealthy area around them..People ran the streets in confusion not quite sure, which way to run,,Not aware of what was REALLY happening..Explosions could be heard everywhere as Militants went around the block, and from room to room, using flash bangs to clear each area..firing at anyone who looked Gulity of something!.After chaos had taken control..WHO KNOWS WHAT REALY HAPPENED!!!....200 people dead.! 10% from other countries around the world ..

OF course there were tourists staying at the tourist resort!..A resort that has to start to watch who it lets in its doors.Just need some added security.Could be As simple as that...

We continue to let a small ammount of thugs, disrupt peace, in the whole world..OR ..Terror wins.!!...Assumptions get you nowhere without facts to base them on ...Need Something to back up FAR OUT stories !!!..Real Questions have to be asked to gather REAL Factual information!!.To find a real solution!!..Reasearch is needed before assumptions are aloud to rule over our "terror aftermath" policies..

We all have issues to deal with in our countries!..Crime being a big one!...But India delt with this riot well!....Better than security dealt with oil pirates...

Watch what you believe..!..

Who were these terrorist for sure???.....In all the mass confusion, how can anyone know ,for sure, what happened..???.!!....

You know ,I can't be sure ,but from some footage I saw ...One militant ...Apparently some kind of a leader..Maybe you saw him ?...He was the guy with the gold rimmed glasses...With the little trimmed mustach you could see under his face scarf ..didn't he Kinda look like a prince from somewhere?..Think I saw him on the news the other week talking about the global crisis?...Can't be positive but I think he said" Are we adults of terrorists"..Maybe I am wrong..Coulda made it up..not sure..can't find the article to back my story!..

Hope you get my point!!

Won't Obama be naming more people to his team soon?..Wonder who they'll be?....Just an innocent question!..Was till all this terror talk started!!..
I am Probably wrong.So without any facts don't take my word for it..I would hate to spark an unnecessary situation.If it can be prevented!..

The congo is getting hostile , as well as many other areas around the world ..There are alot of situations Far worse than india's!!..India handled this situation well!..There are others who need american and allied world support ,in far more turbulant and disstressed places than India!

...If we look to solve the problems in the name of peace.We will stop stirring up dust and help prevent small "bangs" from becoming bombs!!.....

Think in peace, gain peace..Think war, bring war!!!!......

All this coverage and political intereference over a very small ,controllable situation.. Is not warranted...It is sad to loose anyone to violence..but let's wait till the smoke clears before we UNJUSTLY and UNFAIRLY jump to conclusions...Let's hear all the facts!!!..Ask the big questions and Withhold damaging speculation till ..WE KNOW 4 SURE..!...

How many died?

How many died directly related to hostage takers??

Why were so many hostages set free?.

Were these really radical terrorists?..

What were "Terrorists" trying to accomplish?

DID they accomplish what they set out to accomplish ?

How many died by accident in the confusion?

Where was the "1st class" security.. Top paying tourists deserve?

Does the whole world really have to be involved in this?

Why would radical terrorists kill random people on the street and not ALL the hostages??

A good journalist ( I am assuming)will look for Real facts not speculation...Assumptions will get us nowhere positive ,in such sitiuations ...

No one will benefit ,in the long run ,if we choose to continuously exploit other peoples problems and weaknesses for our own self interests!!

Again "terrorists","Gangs" will win!

Having said that, again I feel India handled this situation well...I don't think this relatively small occurance(in comparison to bigger problems in the world) should be turned into anything bigger than a sparked riot!!...location,location,location!....

It is a sad world if so few are able to spark war..and terror...Over two big adult leaders like India, Pakistan, and the world!!..
It's like being poked in the foot with a pin but not being sure who did it!...

Who was around at the time?

Who is the first person you blame ?? ...A friend or an enemy??

It is like letting your unruly child get his way!....You are the adult ..Use your brain to educate/disipline you children..Peacefully..Without VIOLENCE!...

No one learns peace surrounded in abusive violence...THIS IS A FACT!!!

Are we adults or Terrorists???..What do we teach our children about terrorism?

Sorry I know it's a big message..Please pardon my spew...!!.But this is being overkilled, and People are overdosing on this story.It is a little overwhelming ..Over done!!!

When will it be over?

Outta here! ..Not from over there.!..

B.Greenfish66..

Peace!!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

How many Jews do you think there are in India?????? A few thousand, maybe, out of close to a billion people?

Yet what race was singled out for death? What community Centre attacked? The Jewish one.

This is the way it has been for Jews for hundreds and hundreds of years. Always singled out for, ghettoization, scape-goating, eviction, and murder. The Holocaust was simply the worst example of an unending string of Jew-murder throughout the world........they have no place, and no peace.

This will never end. It is why the Jews need their own state......and need it worse than any other entity.

Israel exists because it is a necessity, and it has to be a Jewish state.........

Jews were not the target Colpy, they were just colateral damage? How come some of the terrorists were staying with the dead couple?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

Jews were not the target Colpy, they were just colateral damage? How come some of the terrorists were reported to be staying with the dead couple?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

Before we all get too caught up in international, foreign affairs in India..Let's find out what all the Real facts are...

1st of all....

why India?

..There is war and "terrorism " all over the world!(under the definition of terrorism)...Some much worse than India's unfortunate situation!..I try to stay away from conspiracy theories(lol).But somertimes ,If used properly ,"out there theories"..Can help you distinqush between B.S. and true facts!.....Here's what could have happened ....Dissprove it...!

A small number of people hangin out at the taj had some fire works...One of the guys lit a firework as a joke in his buddies hand...The fire work went off in the hotel causing panic in an already nervous,high tension area...Caused a riot..Military, not knowing exactly what the situation was, moved in causing further chaos..Other gangs of poor,possibly drugged up "wanna be militants" took advantage of the sitiuation ,and exploited it even further ..They jumped into the fire and began to piledge the village ..Take advantage of the wealthy area around them..People ran the streets in confusion not quite sure, which way to run,,Not aware of what was REALLY happening..Explosions could be heard everywhere as Militants went around the block, and from room to room, using flash bangs to clear each area..firing at anyone who looked Gulity of something!.After chaos had taken control..WHO KNOWS WHAT REALY HAPPENED!!!....200 people dead.! 10% from other countries around the world ..

OF course there were tourists staying at the tourist resort!..A resort that has to start to watch who it lets in its doors.Just need some added security.Could be As simple as that...

We continue to let a small ammount of thugs, disrupt peace, in the whole world..OR ..Terror wins.!!...Assumptions get you nowhere without facts to base them on ...Need Something to back up FAR OUT stories !!!..Real Questions have to be asked to gather REAL Factual information!!.To find a real solution!!..Reasearch is needed before assumptions are aloud to rule over our "terror aftermath" policies..

We all have issues to deal with in our countries!..Crime being a big one!...But India delt with this riot well!....Better than security dealt with oil pirates...

Watch what you believe..!..

Who were these terrorist for sure???.....In all the mass confusion, how can anyone know ,for sure, what happened..???.!!....

You know ,I can't be sure ,but from some footage I saw ...One militant ...Apparently some kind of a leader..Maybe you saw him ?...He was the guy with the gold rimmed glasses...With the little trimmed mustach you could see under his face scarf ..didn't he Kinda look like a prince from somewhere?..Think I saw him on the news the other week talking about the global crisis?...Can't be positive but I think he said" Are we adults of terrorists"..Maybe I am wrong..Coulda made it up..not sure..can't find the article to back my story!..

Hope you get my point!!

Won't Obama be naming more people to his team soon?..Wonder who they'll be?....Just an innocent question!..Was till all this terror talk started!!..
I am Probably wrong.So without any facts don't take my word for it..I would hate to spark an unnecessary situation.If it can be prevented!..

The congo is getting hostile , as well as many other areas around the world ..There are alot of situations Far worse than india's!!..India handled this situation well!..There are others who need american and allied world support ,in far more turbulant and disstressed places than India!

...If we look to solve the problems in the name of peace.We will stop stirring up dust and help prevent small "bangs" from becoming bombs!!.....

Think in peace, gain peace..Think war, bring war!!!!......

All this coverage and political intereference over a very small ,controllable situation.. Is not warranted...It is sad to loose anyone to violence..but let's wait till the smoke clears before we UNJUSTLY and UNFAIRLY jump to conclusions...Let's hear all the facts!!!..Ask the big questions and Withhold damaging speculation till ..WE KNOW 4 SURE..!...

How many died?

How many died directly related to hostage takers??

Why were so many hostages set free?.

Were these really radical terrorists?..

What were "Terrorists" trying to accomplish?

DID they accomplish what they set out to accomplish ?

How many died by accident in the confusion?

Where was the "1st class" security.. Top paying tourists deserve?

Does the whole world really have to be involved in this?

Why would radical terrorists kill random people on the street and not ALL the hostages??

A good journalist ( I am assuming)will look for Real facts not speculation...Assumptions will get us nowhere positive ,in such sitiuations ...

No one will benefit ,in the long run ,if we choose to continuously exploit other peoples problems and weaknesses for our own self interests!!

Again "terrorists","Gangs" will win!

Having said that, again I feel India handled this situation well...I don't think this relatively small occurance(in comparison to bigger problems in the world) should be turned into anything bigger than a sparked riot!!...location,location,location!....

It is a sad world if so few are able to spark war..and terror...Over two big adult leaders like India, Pakistan, and the world!!..
It's like being poked in the foot with a pin but not being sure who did it!...

Who was around at the time?

Who is the first person you blame ?? ...A friend or an enemy??

It is like letting your unruly child get his way!....You are the adult ..Use your brain to educate/disipline you children..Peacefully..Without VIOLENCE!...

No one learns peace surrounded in abusive violence...THIS IS A FACT!!!

Are we adults or Terrorists???..What do we teach our children about terrorism?

Sorry I know it's a big message..Please pardon my spew...!!.But this is being overkilled, and People are overdosing on this story.It is a little overwhelming ..Over done!!!

When will it be over?

Outta here! ..Not from over there.!..

B.Greenfish66..

Peace!!

Exactly BG, good journalism, lots of good observations, food for thought rather than orders about what to think.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Hi, Norm;
I'd like to leave you this article to read and consider as food for thought. Hard to fathom, but possible. I'd like to hear what you and others think.
Here is the last paragraph to give you a hint:
The strategic shift in the balance of U.S. military forces in the region, away from Iraq and eastward to Afghanistan and Pakistan, seems almost to have been conceived in order to confirm the complaints of the anti-American forces in the region that the U.S. and its allies have launched a crusade to eliminate Islam from the map. From this perspective the pattern is clear enough: having exhausted their efforts in Iraq, now the West strikes from a different direction, in alliance with India. At the geographic center of it all, you'll note, sits Iran, which can look forward to being surrounded on both sides.
The Meaning of Mumbai- by Justin Raimondo

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
Loon,
Good evening. I was online and received your references. They are a treasure trove. Thank you. I'm still convinced we'll (the US) be involved in another armed conflict in the very near future. However the recent elections here have removed those with trigger fingers for now. While I do agree about Iran I had never given Pakistan a serious thought but with the latest terrorist attack apparently eminating from that nation I'll bet some here in the military establishment have already said, "Why not them too?" Something else. FDR didn't get the US out of the Great Depression. He did put many people back to work and gave them some hope. The real healer was WW II when the US began manufacturing for the European nations before the US actually entered the war. Right after WW II was ended we got back into economic woes again and then along came the Korean War. If the US thinks they had trouble in Iraq lets see what happens when they try out a war at 12,000+ feet in elevation. It takes a long time to acclimate the body to high altitudes and that shows now in the Afghan theater. I have a site for you to look over. It is TheReligionofPeace.com - Islam: Making a True Difference in the World Look on the left margin and select Attacks and tell me what you think I did verify the integrity of the information but like everting else here we only get to learn about whatever they want us to know. This was an eye opener to me.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
The old suppression of the truth for now maneuver...later we get the truth when it no longer matters. That's my personal opinion

BTW: If they want to take on Iran they had better have Israel wth them.

scratch

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
A Jewish community center was deliberately targetted during this attack. No doubt anti-Semiticism is alive and well in this part of the world. But they weren't the only targets. So were Americans and Brits. So was a train station...

If I was to guess the motivation, I'd say the people involved want to stir up conflict between Pakistan and India. These people are anti-semitic, but their goal was likely to increase Pakistan/India tension in order to force the Pakistani government to withdraw troops from tribal areas and deploy them along Pakistan's border with India.

Pakistan's situation is complicated. This NYT article pretty much describes the politics of the tribal areas where these attackers likely originated:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/magazine/07pakistan-t.html?_r=1

These are the same people who support our adversaries in Afghanistan.

They do not support the Pakistan government and would like to see Pakistan loose a war with India, and descend into chaos and civil war.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Of course India will suffer more terrorist attacks. What you mean is on this scale? Over time? Probably...