'Kick a Ginger' day has redheads running scared

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

CTV British Columbia- 'Kick a Ginger' day has redheads running scared - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

A nationwide event that encourages students to harass kids based on the colour of their hair is garnering serious attention from anti-bullying groups and parents.

The Facebook event "National Kick a Ginger" day has almost 4,700 members across Canada and has sparked a rash of opinions in support and against on the social networking site.

The movement was started after an episode of the controversial animated show South Park advocated "Kick a Ginger" day Nov. 20.

The episode refers to red-headed people as "nasty" and "born with a disease."

Ottawa mother Juanita McNairn said she let her 13-year-old son stay home Thursday because he was so afraid.

"My son was beside himself," said McNairn. "He was delaying getting out of bed and when it came down to the crunch he just burst into tears and told me about the whole ginger thing."

McNairn said the students in her son's class told him all week they were planning to kick him when he arrived at school.

Anti-bullying advocate Rob Frenette said he was shocked when he found out about the group.

"We are very taken back that students would pick a certain group of people to harass due to their hair color," he told CTV News from New Brunswick.

Frenette said attacking someone based on their physical appearance could be considered a hate crime. He adds that social networking sites like Facebook that allow young people to group quickly makes a potential problem escalate quickly.

"This is definitely something that is growing globally unfortunately," said Frenette. "I think this needs to be looked at closely and quickly before it gets out of hand."

Irene Lanzinger, the president of the B.C. Teachers Federation, agreed.

"This is sometimes excused as a joke and we have to make sure we understand that it is never funny or acceptable to harm or harass another person," she said.

Lanzinger said that even though most kids may treat the "Kick a Ginger" day as a joke, some kids may escalate the level of violence. But she says there can be an opportunity to use this day as a lesson for kids.

"Teachers can ask kids what they think of it and make it into an acceptable debate," she says. "It's a good way to encourage each other and kids will always come to the conclusion on their own that you need to be respectful of each other."

Yeah.... red heads are nasty? They have a disease?

We sure do, and it's called a short temper.... if someone tried to kick me, they'd be in a pool of their own blood twitching on the ground.

Yeah, ha ha.... funny..... how funny is it now? *kicks in their teeth*

If this thing becomes an issue, then perhaps all the red heads should just gang up together and arrive to school all at once..... try your little stunt then and see what happens when you have a wirlwind of raging and very angry red heads coming to unleash their demons all over your sorry asses.

I don't have an issue with South Park, and I laugh at a lot of their things.... I haven't seen that episode, but I'd probably laugh at it too and move on..... but once children start taking the show seriously and try acting out their antics in real life, they're soon gonna learn the hard way, things will escilate and before you know it, the schools are going to have a big mess on their hands..... because one stereo-type I am proud of about being a red head, is having a pretty mean temper.... and red-headed children don't have the best ability to control that temper.... someone's gonna get crippled badly.

Seriously were these kids brought up in the Victorian era or something?

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Quite possibly the stupidest day anyone has ever tried to designate...

I've noticed a fad lately amongst some people about "ginge", which brings me back to one of my favorite cartoon images.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I wonder if it really does have kids running scared or if that's just more CBC hyperbole?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I wonder if it really does have kids running scared or if that's just more CBC hyperbole?

No there were reports about this on CTV, Global, and some of the local news here where I live, and they've been going on about it since the 19th..... most of it started off focusing at Newfoundland as it was first reported by some students there at the time.

I'm suprised this wasn't posted in here sooner actually

Added:

And here I was thinking it was bad when I was in school with name calling like Red Rooster or Carrot Top.

Seriously.... Carrot Top people? The tops of Carrots are green.... sheish.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I've tried to watch that show and the voices are always slightly slurred....tell you something!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I was hopeing to get everyone to put on a Conservative pin to support Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his government so that some neocon dorks would go for it and I could test out my new invention.

I use a plastic bag to pick up some dog **** and snow to make a snow/**** ball and let those people know Who Da Man Is! And once the dim bulbs figure out I threw it, I can just look at them and yell "WHAT!" :p

This will be more fun than "Bring A Ski Pole To Work Day".

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I was hopeing to get everyone to put on a Conservative pin to support Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his government so that some neocon dorks would go for it and I could test out my new invention.

I use a plastic bag to pick up some dog **** and snow to make a snow/**** ball and let those people know Who Da Man Is! And once the dim bulbs figure out I threw it, I can just look at them and yell "WHAT!" :p

This will be more fun than "Bring A Ski Pole To Work Day".

............. What? :-?