China Earthquake

CTV News

Executive Branch Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.ctv.ca
Death toll in China earthquake rises to 8,533

The death toll after an earthquake struck central China on Monday has climbed from just over 100 to 8,533 in only a few hours.

More...

ShintoMale

Electoral Member
May 12, 2008
Toronto, Canada
10,000 die as quake in China levels buildings

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/05/12/quake-china.html More than 10,000 people died when a 7.9 -magnitude earthquake struck southwestern China on Monday, trapping adults and children under the rubble of collapsed schools and office buildings, and causing ammonia spills at a chemical plant, the state news agency said. Xinhua, citing government officials, said almost all of the deaths were in Sichuan province, where another 10,000 could be injured. In one of the worst-hit areas of Sichuan — Beichuan county — an estimated 80 per cent of buildings were reduced to rubble. The earthquake, felt as far away as Pakistan, Thailand and Vietnam, struck about 100 kilometres northwest of the Sichuan provincial capital of Chengdu, the U.S. Geological Survey said on its website. It hit at 2:28 p.m. local time, when schools were full and office buildings were packed.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Deadly earth quake in China

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif](chinadaily.com.cn)
Updated: 2008-05-13 00:16[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] The deadly earthquake that rocked Southwestern China and felt all across China and beyond, had left nearly 10,000 people dead by midnight Monday, and the death toll is expected to climb as rescue efforts are intensifying.
And in the neighboring provinces as Gansu and Shaanxi, nearly 200 were confirmed dead, according to a Xinhua report.​

Premier Wen Jiabao(C) arranges relief work with officials onboard the plane to quake-stricken area on May 12, 2008. [Xinhua]​

Xinhua said in a news flash that in Sichuan Province alone, which was hit the hardest, the death toll there has risen to nearly 10,000.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Chinese President Hu Jintao, who had just completed a 5-day official visit to Japan, has ordered prompt rescue efforts to take care of the affected. Premier Wen Jiaobao has cut short his inspection trip in central Henan Province, and have flown to Chengdu to lead the government rescue efforts.
Late Monday evening, President Hu urged governments at all levels to regard relieving major quake as the top priority at a Politburo standing committee meeting on late Monday evening.

Presided over by Hu, the meeting called on disaster relieving personnel to go to the quake hit areas as soon as possible and mount all-out efforts to save the injured.

And in Dujiangyan, Premier Wen Jiabao has pledged to save as many lives as the rescue teams can in southwest China's Sichuan Province which was hit by a major quake on Monday afternoon.

Wen inspected a hospital and a school in Dujiangyan, a city northwest of the provincial capital Chengdu, partly damaged by the quake.

Up to 900 teenagers were trapped as the middle school buildings partly collapsed. Rescuers are seen in TV footage using cranes to move away cement and steel structures. Rescuers had recovered at least 60 bodies from the debris, according to Xinhua.

The road from Dujiangyan to Wenchuan, epicenter of the quake, was blocked by rock and mud slides, holding up rescue, medical and other disaster relief teams in the city.

"Please just hold on, people are going to get you out of there! " the Premier told the people trapped in the collapsed buildings of the hospital in a loudspeaker.

When comforting patients and medical staffs in the hospital, Wen asked rescuing troops to search every corner for people waiting for salvation and carry out the rescue work in an orderly way.

"If there is a gleam of hope, we will do all the best to save the people," Wen vowed at a middle school of Juyuan town, adding that the rescuing team would not rest until the last one under the ruin was saved.

"The medical experts are coming, the rescuing planes will land soon," Wen told people crying for help in the school, "I was told many trapped people have hopes to survive from the disaster."

He made a three-time bow to pay his respect to the bodies of the people killed by the quake laid on the school's square, saying that he was very depressed.

Premier Wen told officials at the temporary headquarters for disaster relief in Dujiangyan that roads to Wenchuan should be recovered as soon as possible at all costs.

"The road is the key for the relief work since we can only know the situation there when we can send people and we can only transport the injured out when the road is clean," Wen said.
[/FONT]
China's state seimological administration reported the earthquake hit Sichuan Province at 2:28 pm Beijing Time Monday, at a destructive scale of 7.8 on the Richter calculations. The US Geologocial Survey said on its website that the epicentre lies 29 kilometres below the surface, and at a scale of 7.5.
More than 5,000 PLA officers and soliders and 3,000 police have also rushed to Wenchuan and surrounding areas to spearhead the rescue efforts.
Premier Wen told reporters during his flight to Sichuan that the central government is closely monitoring the disaster relief work, and Wen urged for calm, efficiency and confidence in fighting the killer tremor.
"I will be in charge of relief work headquarters that has been set up with eight State Council departments," Wen said.
Chinese reporters in Juyuan town, about 60 miles from the epicenter, said that they saw trapped teenagers struggling to break loose from underneath the rubble of the three-story building "while others were crying out for help."
Two teenage girl students were quoted as saying they escaped because they had "run faster than others."
[/FONT]
1 2 3
1 2 3

Print This Article

CTV News

Executive Branch Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.ctv.ca
Chinese officials say 10,000 killed by earthquake

Officials say 10,000 people are dead after a 7.9-magnitude earthquake struck China on Monday. In Sichuan's Beichan county, about 80 per cent of the buildings have collapsed.

More...

CTV News

Executive Branch Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.ctv.ca
Group urges Canada to send DART to China

A Canadian group is urging the government to send the Disaster Assistance Response Team to China to help earthquake survivors, but the team is still waiting for permission to enter Burma.

More...

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
If you're in China or have relatives there, share your story

Are you in China or do you have relatives there that are affected by the recent earthquake? Send us your stories and concerns and tell us how the earthquake has impacted you or your family.

More...

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Yes I,m China together with my family .My family is living in Qingdao and I'm on a business trip in Hainan .According to the news paper the earthquake was felt pretty well all over China though my family was spared the exxperience I have felt a little tremor while waiting for the ferry.to the island.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
I suppose the Chinese government won't accept outside help with this disaster, too...
I heard they are well equipped and organized to deal with this disaster efficiently and effectively. It is not their first earthquake.
Sure, some outside help would be appreciated, I would think... why not? They've got plenty on their plate right now with Tibet and the Olympics... now a major disaster on top!!

Search for China quake survivors

Thousands of people are still trapped beneath ruined buildings

A massive search and rescue operation is under way in south-western China after one of the most powerful earthquakes in decades.
Troops have arrived in Wenchuan county at the epicentre, which was largely cut off by the quake - but heavy rain is hampering rescue operations.
Elsewhere in Sichuan province, frantic efforts are being made to reach thousands of people under the rubble.
"As long as there is even a little hope, we will redouble our efforts 100 times and will never relax our efforts," he told crying locals through a loudhailer in the badly hit Dujiangyan city, south-east of the epicentre.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7397489.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7397845.stm
----------------------------------------------------------------
Reflection...
What a dangerous place our lovely earth is!!! It seems nature is being aroused to violence through human behavior! Or is it the other way around? No, I believe our thoughts, our actions, our feelings (hatred, revenge), our pain, is reflected in Nature.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Hopefully the Chinese government uses some of that foreign aid Canada provides (approximately $56 million) to them every year to help these people.

CTV News

Executive Branch Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.ctv.ca
Death toll following China earthquake passes 12,000

The death toll following the worst earthquake to hit China in three decades has passed 12,000, with thousands more still buried in debris.

More...

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Hopefully the Chinese government uses some of that foreign aid Canada provides (approximately $56 million) to them every year to help these people.
Hi, Durka;
do you have a corresponding link for your statement? I checked myself and came up with this...
Ottawa to give an extra $50 million for food aid
Of that cash, $45 million will go to the World Food Program, of which $10 million will specifically go to Haiti. The other $5 million will go to Canadian Foodgrains Bank.
Read full article here: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...80430/20080430
--------------------------------
Nothing is said about China. Maybe some years ago, when China's economy was still in its infancy, we might have donated aid to them. Now they seem to be capable to look after themselves.
So, if you have a link, please, let me/us know. It is always good to know where our tax money is going.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't know what we are doing giving financial aid to China. China's economy and population are many times that of Canada. Better we send a few engineers to show them how to build a building that won't fall down and bury the occupants during an earthquake.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
I only read your first link, which states...
But Naresh Raghubeer, executive director of the Canadian Coalition for Democracies, took issue with Canada's efforts to promote democracy in China, something the government has said it is reviewing.

Mr. Raghubeer said that while Canada is providing approximately $56 million in foreign aid to China, the Asian country has the world's largest army, a booming economy and is poised for war with Taiwan, a democratic country.

"A fair amount of foreign aid was directed to training Communist Chinese judges, who rule in a Communist system of state-controlled law," he said. "There can be no rationale or reasonable excuse as to why Canada continues to train Chinese judges, knowing full well that these state-appointed judges are and can only be responsible to Beijing first and foremost."
That's interesting! We are hounded about our child poverty record, and here we still give money to China to develop a Democracy, all the while they are doing fairly well for themselves.
We need one or more of our Chinese members to comment on this.

Last edited:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Not only our child poverty, but homelessness in general. There are thousands in our own country who should be helped out first. Why give it away to countries who either don't appreciate it or need it. On top of that, China is the main reason the economy in north america is going in the dumper.

Last edited: