Canada, U.S. agree to use each other's troops in civil emergencies

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
Hello, i have searched all over this forum and i couldn't find this article anywhere so i thought i would post it. I posted it in this In The News section because i'm not sure if it has been on the news yet but the government said they would make it public. I haven't heard anything official yet.

Feb 14, 2008 : the day our government stabbed us all in the back and sold us down the river. You can find this article at canada.com

Canada, U.S. agree to use each other's troops in civil emergencies

David Pugliese , Canwest News Service

Published: Friday, February 22, 2008
Canada and the U.S. have signed an agreement that paves the way for the militaries from either nation to send troops across each other's borders during an emergency, but some are questioning why the Harper government has kept silent on the deal.
Neither the Canadian government nor the Canadian Forces announced the new agreement, which was signed Feb. 14 in Texas.
The U.S. military's Northern Command, however, publicized the agreement with a statement outlining how its top officer, Gen. Gene Renuart, and Canadian Lt.-Gen. Marc Dumais, head of Canada Command, signed the plan, which allows the military from one nation to support the armed forces of the other nation during a civil emergency.

var addthis_pub = 'canada.com'; function textCounter(field,cntfield,maxlimit) { if (field.value.length > maxlimit) // if too long...trim it! field.value = field.value.substring(0, maxlimit); // otherwise, update 'characters left' counter else { var divLabel = document.getElementById("divLabel"); divLabel.innerHTML = maxlimit - field.value.length + " characters remaining"; } } The new agreement has been greeted with suspicion by the left wing in Canada and the right wing in the U.S.

The left-leaning Council of Canadians, which is campaigning against what it calls the increasing integration of the U.S. and Canadian militaries, is raising concerns about the deal.
"It's kind of a trend when it comes to issues of Canada-U.S. relations and contentious issues like military integration. We see that this government is reluctant to disclose information to Canadians that is readily available on American and Mexican websites," said Stuart Trew, a researcher with the Council of Canadians.
Trew said there is potential for the agreement to militarize civilian responses to emergency incidents. He noted that work is also underway for the two nations to put in place a joint plan to protect common infrastructure such as roadways and oil pipelines.
"Are we going to see (U.S.) troops on our soil for minor potential threats to a pipeline or a road?" he asked.
Trew also noted the U.S. military does not allow its soldiers to operate under foreign command so there are questions about who controls American forces if they are requested for service in Canada. "We don't know the answers because the government doesn't want to even announce the plan," he said.
But Canada Command spokesman Commander David Scanlon said it will be up to civilian authorities in both countries on whether military assistance is requested or even used.
He said the agreement is "benign" and simply sets the stage for military-to-military co-operation if the governments approve.
"But there's no agreement to allow troops to come in," he said. "It facilitates planning and co-ordination between the two militaries. The 'allow' piece is entirely up to the two governments."
If U.S. forces were to come into Canada they would be under tactical control of the Canadian Forces but still under the command of the U.S. military, Scanlon added.
News of the deal, and the allegation it was kept secret in Canada, is already making the rounds on left-wing blogs and Internet sites as an example of the dangers of the growing integration between the two militaries.
On right-wing blogs in the U.S. it is being used as evidence of a plan for a "North American union" where foreign troops, not bound by U.S. laws, could be used by the American federal government to override local authorities.
"Co-operative militaries on Home Soil!" notes one website. "The next time your town has a 'national emergency,' don't be surprised if Canadian soldiers respond. And remember - Canadian military aren't bound by posse comitatus."
Posse comitatus is a U.S. law that prohibits the use of federal troops from conducting law enforcement duties on domestic soil unless approved by Congress.
Scanlon said there was no intent to keep the agreement secret on the Canadian side of the border. He noted it will be reported on in the Canadian Forces newspaper next week and that publication will be put on the Internet.
Scanlon said the actual agreement hasn't been released to the public as that requires approval from both nations. That decision has not yet been taken, he added.
© Ottawa Citizen 2008

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=403d90d6-7a61-41ac-8cef-902ald14879d&k=14984

My personal questions :

1- What troops? We don't have enough troops for this and EVERYBODY knows this. Including the U.S.

2- 'Civil Emergencies' ??? When was the last time Canada was ever involved a Civil Emergency? This deal isn't even necessary? - unless someone knows something the rest of us doesn't?

3- Martial Law? Why is our government even discussing these things with the U.S.?

I don't want to jump to too many conclusions but this whole thing seems quite foul!!! I see ulterior motives.

The truth is Canada has always been prepared to help the U.S in emergencies. Take Hurricane Katrina as the latest example -
Canadian officials told the U.S that they were ready to send whatever type of aid the United States required to help with the aftermath of hurricane Katrina and they did. We sent [FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Verdana][FONT=Arial, Verdana][FONT=Arial, Verdana][FONT=Arial, Verdana][FONT=Arial, Verdana]highly trained disaster response volunteers[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] from our Canadian Red Cross to help. We had some of our Canadian Troops on stand by to help them. We sent, along with all kinds of medical and non-medical supplies and volunteers, three warships along with a Coast Guard vessel, and three Sea King Helicopters to the area. So, it's not like we don't help or that we pass on our responsibility to help our neighbors when they're in need.
I understand that some are going to think - But WE are the ones who need protecting. That's fine BUT what i am saying is that this is 'in case' of a civil emergency - usually those things are not predictable and if that were to happen, we are already obligated to help each other because we are allies?

What i don't understand is why are they messing with our Martial Law? What is all this and why the secrecy?

Stepping back - we don't stand to gain anything from this kind deal. In fact i think we as Canadians have already lost too much simply with the signing of his agreement.

I pray to God we don't start seeing crap happening here so that they can make use of that 'new agreement'.

When you have another country's military looking down the barrels of their guns at you for whatever reason, then you know your government has failed you. I feel like we are no longer free. Like we are now no different from any other country that is at the mercy of anothers government and military power.

sorry for the long post!!!!!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
In case members of the Royal Canadian Legion attack and disarm our military we'll have some backup.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Be interesting to see just what would qualify as an emergency.
For some unexplained reason the US rejected many offers from the international community for Katrina.
I seem to recall some nations rejected the offers for assistance from the US after that big tidal wave, probably because that help came in the form of a warship.

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
Wow! i guess i'm the only one that cares about this sort of thing.

wow . . . that kinda chokes me up a bit.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Apathy runs deep on issues like this. If it was an Ann Nicole type of thread it would already be several pages long by now.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
He said the agreement is "benign" and simply sets the stage for military-to-military co-operation if the governments approve.
If the agreement still requires both sides to agree to the action then what is being achieved by the agreement?

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
See . . that's what i thought. And i also thought that if, and God forbid, anything were to happen, don't we normally help each other? That's part of what i don't get. I thought that we all just kinda knew that.

Also, i'm curious what 'civil emergency' means. Is that, say for example, when a people come together and protest their government for making underhanded and secret deals against them? - so they call Martial Law and get the U.S. military to come in with their guns to 'control' the problem.

civil emergency. Or would that be like a 9/11? A terrorist attack.

I'm just worried about this deal people because it's
1 - out of the ordinary,
2 - it's been kept quiet,
3 - the U.S. has something to do with it. I'm not anti-us, just the government. And i've heard and read things about the people in their military and i'm sorry but i wouldn't want to see that crap happening to some of us.

I just get this feeling like they have moved in on us somehow. Like NOW they've got us by the balls. It's like we're all gonna wake-up one day and realize wait a minute! You mean Canada doesn't belong to Canada? And everyone will all be wondering "How did we let this happen?"

There's not much we can do if we're under a Martial Law that is under the orders of some american general that was hired by our own government to 'control the problem'.

Do you see where i'm coming from? Anyone?

BM5

Time Out
Mar 8, 2008
Well Give,, like, peace a chance,

Try not to traumatize yourself about all this stuff.

Mulroney sold the country that you and I love to the capitalists down south and there is nothing we can do to change it. So just be true to yourself, regress, withdraw within your own self and love that which is good.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well Give,, like, peace a chance,

Try not to traumatize yourself about all this stuff.

Mulroney sold the country that you and I love to the capitalists down south and there is nothing we can do to change it. So just be true to yourself, regress, withdraw within your own self and love that which is good.

To hell with that crap, there's plenty we can do. There has always been plenty the people of the country can do.... check out the French Revolution or even the American one against the British. Heck, France has riots and protests like the British have tea time.... it's our right to keep the government in check and to sit back and shrug our shoulders about it? If we do just that, then we all deserve a good swift kick in the gonads.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Also, i'm curious what 'civil emergency' means. Is that, say for example, when a people come together and protest their government for making underhanded and secret deals against them? - so they call Martial Law and get the U.S. military to come in with their guns to 'control' the problem.

civil emergency. Or would that be like a 9/11? A terrorist attack.

Either/Or.... that's why they worded it as such, so they can pick and choose what it means.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Conservatives like Haper (see Cancun trip) aren't Candian, they're "businessmen". Patriotism has no seat at the tables of commerce and while it might be uncomfortable to come to grips with this thread...in terms of what it really means for Canadian sovereignity and the freedom of Canadian people, the machinations of the Conservative government in power have little interest in anything that doesn't maintain the position of the power elite in this country.

I've mentioned several times that the process of "voting" in this and the American "democracy" isn't worth the effort, and this thread and the Cancun thread should help people understand why your vote makes no difference....

Corporations will make the decisions that shape Candian lives and a government like Stephen Harpers, i.e. bought, has no time for the flimsy notion of democracy....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The will be most efficiently accomplished because we (Canada) don't actually have any soldiers of our own, they were all integrated into the Yankee corporate war machine years ago when we started training with the murdering State Terrorists. See the words of Field Marshall Von Hillier.

Take a Banker to lunch , rotate the spit slowly till the screaming stops, season to taste.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Lone Wolf

Get your entry in quick to the latest competition....

Submit your ideas for the new flag of Palestinada ..... Perhaps an American eagle demonstrating the missionary position on a beaver....on a field of dollar signs....

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
BM5 - It's nice of you to try and soothe my fears. Thank you. But in all honesty, my fears are not all my own. I'm looking at it in the sense of how cruel it was of this government to do this to us. You mention

" Mulroney sold the country that you and I love to the capitalists down south and there is nothing we can do to change it. "

Funny but i look at that attitude as the mistake that has brought us to this new level of deceit and corruption. It occurs to me that the reason why it has gone this far is because WE let them get away with that very first evil in the first place.

Brian Mulroney doesn't care and we should have made him care and we should have made him an example of what Canadians won't accept from their government.

It's amazing how one thing will lead to another if it's left to it's own devices.

I admire Praxius' fire. I look at that as the spirit of someone who is not oppressed. When i hear apathy what i see are chains, people who are already oppressed before ever having been bound in shackles. I hope we understand that that's how they do it. They shackle the minds in order to get control. It makes it easier for them to get the rest of you later.

There ARE examples of nations/countries where it's people successfully overcame their oppressive governments or dictators. What fascinates me about these events is the fact that this phenomenon - successful overthrowing of governments or policies, occur in very poor countries and victory comes from the hands of very poor, oppressed and, interestingly enough, poorly educated people/individuals.

Why is it that we, in our society where we have everything seem incapable of doing even the very least of what we can do for the sake of OUR country = we the people?

Here's a fundamental question : What makes you think that we are hopeless/helpless when it comes to making changes for ourselves, each other, and our country? Also keep in mind, it wouldn't be a one man battle.

AND if there was already a group of people out there trying to expose the government and protesting, would you sit back in your homes and watch it all on t.v or would you get up and join the others and try to become an instrument of change? Even if it meant - you could get hurt?

(Man - i should've called myself Windbag. Why can't i keep it short????)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Be interesting to see just what would qualify as an emergency.
For some unexplained reason the US rejected many offers from the international community for Katrina.
I seem to recall some nations rejected the offers for assistance from the US after that big tidal wave, probably because that help came in the form of a warship.

The US sent help to all those nations...they just didn't want armed US troops. Those warships was able to desalinate sea water so the people could have potable water and it they were used.

Quote from an article...

Following the 26 December 2004 earthquake and tsunami in the Indian Ocean, the U.S. military responded quickly, sending ships, planes, and relief supplies to the region. Coordinated by Joint Task Force 536, established at Utapao, Thailand, the Navy and the Marine Corps shifted assets from the Navy's Pacific Command within days. The rapid response once again illustrated the flexibility of naval forces when forward deployed.

The Navy deployed four Patrol Squadron (VP) 4 P-3 Orion patrol aircraft from Kadena, Japan, to Utapao to fly reconnaissance flights in the region and five VP-8 P-3s began flying missions out of Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean Territory. The Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) Carrier Strike Group [including Shoup (DDG 86), Shiloh (CG 67), Benfold (DDG 65) and USNS Ranier (T AOE 7)] and the Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) Expeditionary Strike Group [including Duluth (LPD 6), Milius (DDG 69), Rushmore (LSD 47), Thach (FFG 43), Pasadena (SSN 752) and USCG Munro (WHEC 724)] steamed to Indonesia from the Pacific Ocean. Marine Corps disaster relief assessment teams from Okinawa, Japan, flew in to Thailand, Sri Lanka and Indonesia, and were later joined by U.S. Navy Environmental and Preventive Medicine Units from Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Lastly, a total of eleven ships under the Military Sealift Command (MSC) proceeded to the region from Guam and Diego Garcia.

Nineteen SH-60 Seahawk helicopters from the ships of the Abraham Lincoln group began flying reconnaissance, evacuation, and relief sorties over Indonesia on 31 December. The Bonhomme Richard group arrived on 3 January and her embarked 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable) began using their 24 CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters to deliver supplies to damaged areas along the coast of Indonesia.

In early January six ships from Maritime Prepositioning Ships Squadron 3 – MV lst Lt. Jack Lummus (T-AK 3011), SS Maj. Stephen W. Pless (T-AK 3007), MV Cpl. Louis J. Hauge Jr. (T-AK 3000), MV Pfc. James Anderson Jr. (T-AK 3002), MV 1st Lt. Alex Bonnyman (T-AK 3002) and USNS 1st Lt. Harry L. Martin (T-AK 3015) – got underway from Diego Garcia. Collectively, these ships carry enough equipment and supplies to support 15,000 Marines for 30 days, including road-building supplies, electrical power generators, and other emergency equipment. These ships’ water purification machines and evaporators are capable of producing more than 100,000 gallons of potable water per day and pumping it to shore from up to two miles away. In addition, the MSC fleet replenishment oilers USNS Tippecanoe (T-AO 199) and USNS John Ericsson (T-AO 194) as well as the combat stores ship USNS San Jose (T-ASF 7) joined Rainier in providing fuel and supplies to U.S. Navy ships in the tsunami relief area. Lastly, two MSC oceanographic ships have been ordered into the affected area to conduct hydrographic surveys of the ocean bottom where the 9.0 magnitude earthquake occurred. USNS Mary Sears (T-AGS 65) and USNS John McDonnell (T-AGS 51) will sail from Sasebo, Japan, in mid-January.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Why would you say Canadians are hopeless at making change? The ruling federal party didn't exist much more than twenty years ago.

Just because we don't make idiots of ourselves carrying placards and chanting mind numbingly simple slogans over and over again doesn't mean we are hopeless to institute change.

This country has changed a LOT over the last 30 years.