School Board Approves Birth Control Prescriptions at Maine Middle School

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Ben-wa balls, and personal lube are the next items on the agenda....:roll:

PORTLAND, Maine — Pupils at a city middle school will be able to get birth control pills and patches at their student health center after the local school board approved the proposal Wednesday evening.
The plan, offered by city health officials, makes King Middle School the first middle school in Maine to make a full range of contraception available to students in grades 6 through 8, according to the state Department of Health and Human Services.
There are no national figures on how many middle schools, where most students range in age from 11 to 13, provide such services.
"It's very rare that middle schools do this," said Divya Mohan, a spokeswoman for the National Assembly on School-Based Health Care.
The Portland School Committee voted 5-2 for the measure.
Chairman John Coynie voted against it, saying he felt providing the birth control was a parental responsibility. The other no vote came from Ben Meiklejohn, who said the consent form does not clearly define the services being offered.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,303058,00.html

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Woah...... any school that my kids went to did that......heads would roll.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Excellent! Hopefully they'll hand out condoms too. Hope this comes to Canada and to my daughters school

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't want to sound like a nut job, but I will seriously be trying to keep my daughter from going on the pill EVER. That we give it out like candy, fiddling with the chemical makeup of our kids from such a young age, is terrifying. As autoimmune diseases rise, with hormone levels being a clear issue in many of them, it floors me that we're viewing pregnancy as the worst disease a young girl or woman could catch, and not taking a harder look at long term meds like this.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Excellent! Hopefully they'll hand out condoms too. Hope this comes to Canada and to my daughters school

condoms I can get behind.... frankly, it would piss me off immensely if they handed out birth control pills without condoms. No kid should be without.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't even have to buy my condoms. Go into the Dairy Building, go to student health services, walk into the lobby, and grab some from the bowl on the table. They keep it well stocked ;)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Why? You not willing to teach your kids the responsibilities that go along with having sex?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't even have to buy my condoms. Go into the Dairy Building, go to student health services, walk into the lobby, and grab some from the bowl on the table. They keep it well stocked ;)

IMO, every responsible parent should have a container full in a bathroom cupboard or somewhere, so their kids can grab as needed. Because even if your kids are abstinent, they're sure to have friends who aren't, and whose parents aren't as smart.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Why? You not willing to teach your kids the responsibilities that go along with having sex?

Uhm Gerry, when you really want to discuss this sort of thing in a give and take manner let me know. Until then, how about you keep your close minded narrow view of life to yourself, k?

P.S Do you know how to spell ASSume?

Reactions: Tonington

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
IMO, every responsible parent should have a container full in a bathroom cupboard or somewhere, so their kids can grab as needed. Because even if your kids are abstinent, they're sure to have friends who aren't, and whose parents aren't as smart.

Also, some kids are just too shy to go buy the things.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
but I will seriously be trying to keep my daughter from going on the pill EVER.

I noticed you used the word "try". It's all we can really do once they reach a certain age. I've run into a number of parents of teenagers who believe they can actually control their teenagers. Pretty sad for the teenagers having to lie and having no close adult to talk to.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Also, some kids are just too shy to go buy the things.

My logical side says "a kid who's too shy to buy condoms is too young and dumb for sex," but my emotional side remembers what it was like to be young and dumb. lol.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I noticed you used the word "try". It's all we can really do once they reach a certain age. I've run into a number of parents of teenagers who believe they can actually control their teenagers. Pretty sad for the teenagers having to lie and having no close adult to talk to.

my kids are probably going to hate me over the amount of communication that will go on over this issue. lol. But, having been given informed freedom when I was young, I'd never try to take that away from kids and replace it with ignorant control.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I understand pregnancy mess with the chemical make of of a woman too. If these kids have a consent form signed by their parents or guardian, and are sexually active, it's good for them to have a choice. Expecting they just won't have intercourse is no longer realistic.

Though I suspect that all but a few kids don't actually have intercourse in that grade range, there are documented cases of kids having kids themselves, which causes an array of problems everyone else has to deal with. For those who feel their kids should not be taking birth control, it's up to them to make their kids aware of their wishes and take steps to see their wishes are observed. For those kids who are having intercourse at that age, and don't have the responsible parent to offer guidance, then it's a great idea that there is someone there to help them make the right choice for themselves.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Uhm Gerry, when you really want to discuss this sort of thing in a give and take manner let me know. Until then, how about you keep your close minded narrow view of life to yourself, k?

P.S Do you know how to spell ASSume?

Well...excuse me all to hell your royal heinousness......If it's not a matter of you pushing your responsibilities off on the school, then why?... hang on...didn't I already ask why? Oh..yes I did...thought there was an echo in here.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Karrie,
Ahh, the talk. I remember that, it was in elementary school. I of course told all my friends how it was done, though I was lacking sufficient detail from my father, so my brain filled in the rest. I thought a man urinated inside the woman, lol

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie,
Ahh, the talk. I remember that, it was in elementary school. I of course told all my friends how it was done, though I was lacking sufficient detail from my father, so my brain filled in the rest. I thought a man urinated inside the woman, lol

'the' talk? Wow... I got read to, talked to... had question and answer periods tossed at me during drives....

I'm always blown away when people say there was 'the' talk. I got probably 50! lol.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
'the' talk? Wow... I got read to, talked to... had question and answer periods tossed at me during drives....

I'm always blown away when people say there was 'the' talk. I got probably 50! lol.

Heh, 'the talk' is misleading. I also had more than one talk. When I say the talk, it was actually at the kitchen table. My brother and I were asking questions, and my parents weren't the types to give us wrong info. Most times my father would tell me to look it up, rather than explain it. He had a great set of encyclopedias.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Heh, 'the talk' is misleading. I also had more than one talk. When I say the talk, it was actually at the kitchen table. My brother and I were asking questions, and my parents weren't the types to give us wrong info. Most times my father would tell me to look it up, rather than explain it. He had a great set of encyclopedias.

Ah, I see. I didn't have a lot of questions when the talks all started, because I was only about 10, and didn't get why I was getting talked at about it all. By 11 I had TONS of questions. And then more again when I started dating.