Al Gore wins Nobel Peace Prize

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by AvroView Post

Hey Walt, wrap your tiny head around this logic.

www.break.com/index/global-warming-guy-is-back.html (external - login to view)

With that logic I should stay in bed because I could get hit by a bus.

daisygirl
Regardless of the topic, people will always have differing views. That doesn't necessarily mean that one side is right and one side is wrong but rather that people are looking at something from different angles.

I am, quite frankly, disgusted to see some of the horrendous name calling which has gone on in this thread just because people don't agree with each other. Heavens, a democracy is supposed to mean that we are able to share our opinions freely. If we were all forced to have the same opinion about something, that would be a very sad world. Some people have to live like that...but we don't. Enjoy your freedom to argue and debate but don't trash each other while you are doing it.
Last edited by daisygirl; Oct 14th, 2007 at 06:48 AM..

CDNBear
Does anybody even care that a Court of Law has found that Gore's movie was full of falsehoods, misconceptions, blatant lies and glaring inaccuracies?

That alone should have negated his nomination, let alone his actually being awarded the prize.

Locutus
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Does anybody even care that a Court of Law has found that Gore's movie was full of falsehoods, misconceptions, blatant lies and glaring inaccuracies?

That alone should have negated his nomination, let alone his actually being awarded the prize.

I sure as hell do.

forums.canadiancontent.net/sc...-judgment.html (external - login to view)

Good to see you back Bear.

#juan

What nonsense. Sure there are flaws in "An Inconvenient Truth" but none of them void the broader message that Gore is giving us, namely: Global Warming is here. Global Warming is already hurting real people. It is time we do something about it. Anybody who has been near the Arctic recently will not argue the existence of global warming. Global warming is not some shady conspiracy theory. It is a fact. The only question should be what we can do about it.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by daisygirlView Post

Regardless of the topic, people will always have differing views. That doesn't necessarily mean that one side is right and one side is wrong but rather that people are looking at something from different angles.

I am, quite frankly, disgusted to see some of the horrendous name calling which has gone on in this thread just because people don't agree with each other. Heavens, a democracy is supposed to mean that we are able to share our opinions freely. If we were all forced to have the same opinion about something, that would be a very sad world. Some people have to live like that...but we don't. Enjoy your freedom to argue and debate but don't trash each other while you are doing it.

Daisy, sometimes some people just don't get it, unless they're being clubbed about the head and ears.
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

I sure as hell do.

That's cuz you're smart.

Quote:

forums.canadiancontent.net/sc...-judgment.html (external - login to view)

Saw that, that was what I was referring to. It was a great post by the way.
Quote:

Good to see you back Bear.

Thanx, it's good to be back, been hunting, fishing and protesting, lol....

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

What nonsense.

Hey juan... I'm as entitled to my opinion as you are. Just because you disagree, does not make my opinion "nonsense".

Quote:

Sure there are flaws in "An Inconvenient Truth" but none of them void the broader message that Gore is giving us, namely: Global Warming is here.

WOW!!!

I remember just a lil while ago you fought tooth and nail and stated quite insultingly, that it was absolutely perfect and the even MIT had stated as such.

Good to see you've come to your senses.
Quote:

Global Warming is already hurting real people. It is time we do something about it.

Did I say anything to the contrary of that?
Quote:

Anybody who has been near the Arctic recently will not argue the existence of global warming.

I haven't been there, but I have read several articles on the fact that the Polar Bear populations are in a serious up swing. In fact, there is talk of a possible cull in a few years time.
Quote:

Global warming is not some shady conspiracy theory. It is a fact.

Fair enough, but the staring roles are all taken up by shady characters.
Quote:

The only question should be what we can do about it.

I would agree, but shouldn't we determine what exactly we can do and what effect we will have with the suggestive actions on the table first?

#juan
Quote:

Hey juan... I'm as entitled to my opinion as you are. Just because you disagree, does not make my opinion "nonsense".

Absolutely true. I apologize.

I don't know if you've watched Gore's movie or not. I've watched it four or five times. I admit there are mistakes but none of those mistakes negate the message. It is extremely important that we(the whole world) take it seriously. We can't have even a little bit of global warming. One degree would be a disaster.
They won't be culling the polar bear population any time soon. The sea ice they spend a good part of their life on has been reduced by drastic proportions.

Avro
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

[/url] With that logic I should stay in bed because I could get hit by a bus.

What a shock, you didn't even get it.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Absolutely true. I apologize.

Thanx...

Quote:

I don't know if you've watched Gore's movie or not.

I have and I pointed out all the glaring errors to my kids as we went along.
Quote:

I've watched it four or five times. I admit there are mistakes but none of those mistakes negate the message.

I'm not arguing the message, I'm arguing his motives, his delivery and his ethics.
Quote:

It is extremely important that we(the whole world) take it seriously.

You have to know by now, that I do, I have stated we need to address polution on the whole, not just nit pick the parts that make for good sound bytes.
Quote:

We can't have even a little bit of global warming. One degree would be a disaster.

Agreed.
Quote:

They won't be culling the polar bear population any time soon. The sea ice they spend a good part of their life on has been reduced by drastic proportions.

Quote:

IQALUIT - Climate change is not hurting polar bear populations in the Davis Strait area of Nunavut, according to Dr. Mitch Taylor, manager of wildlife research and a polar bear biologist with the GN's Department of Environment.

In fact, polar bear populations along the Davis Strait are healthy and their numbers increasing, an ongoing study is indicating.
Reports in national and international press have projected that two-thirds of the world's polar bear populations will be lost within 50 years due to the loss of sea ice. Canada has two thirds of the world's polar bears. Nunavut is home to 12 of Canada's 13 polar bear populations, totalling an estimated 14,780.

That thin ice is not taking the toll the dooms dayers claimed it was having...An issue addressed in the Court case highlighted earlier.

CDNBear

What a shock, you didn't even get it.

What does the big giant font do for ya?

Is this some fruedian thing or are you just melting down?

Avro

What does the big giant font do for ya?

Is this some fruedian thing or are you just melting down?

Walt seems to like it.

MikeyDB
Because it is a prestigious award granting an inevitable stamp of approval and respect to someone's work, the Nobel is regrettably a concept that will be politicized. I've no hard and fast "proof" that the decision to award Al Gore the Peace Prize was motivated politically, but it's difficult to imagine that the dynamics of the international community didn't play some role. The United States under the leadership of George Bush has been brought shame and discredit, and whether Americans care or not isn't a factor in the minds of many millions. The people of the United States have tacitly endorsed behaviors that many other American politicians have pointed to when torture and lies have been employed by various other national leaders. Pointed to and railed against to emphasize how morally superior America has been and is. The truth is that Americans are just as prepared as anyone else (any other nationality) to forego the rule of law and alter their perspectives on "morality" when the situation demands.

The "Inconvienient Truth" is that America and Americans are responsible for a great deal of what's wrong with the world today and have been behind not only dubious political and international efforts that included assassination attempts, erecting puppet governments that handed power over people's lives to heartless bloodthirsty dictators but at a fundamental level, the American "pursuit of happiness" has been translated more vigorously into actions to suspend cooperative and prudent foreign policies and development strategies that have served the interests of the wealthy elite of the United States at the cost of the planet to every other living thing.

To battle the "bully", requires a bigger bully or a "gang", and a willingness to don the attire of the bully and the rogue. Wars are expressions of keeping the "bully" under control and when the "bully" becomes so influential and aggressively self-interested to the exclusion of the well-being of an entire world, short of armed conflict little can be done to rein-in this thoughtless mindless child.

It may well be too late for the world in terms of addressing the climactic issues, but the granting of the Nobel Prize is perhaps more political on this ocaision than it actually represents acknowledgement of superior work of benefit to mankind as a whole.

It is an opportunity for Americans to reflect on the course of action taken by the United States and its people over the past two hundred years. While once epitomizing the ideals of justice tempered with compassion and willingness to address critical social wrongs, America has of late, demonstrated that the selfishness and arrogance of the American administration knows no limits. It is fortunate and timely that Al Gore invested the time money and resources to say what has to be said in "Inconvienient Truth", if for no other reason than to provide America and Americans with some degree of insight into the potential that exists in the people to acknowledge the situation and rise to the challenges presented.

Americans elected a petty-minded ill-informed and entirely selfish government that has cost the people of the world a great deal in terms of blood and carnage. It has cost and will continue to cost the United States both dollars and international respect/cooperation....not of course that many Americans really care so long as they can continue to import poison food and lead lined toys for their children at bargain prices....

Even if some of the points alluded to in the Gore vehicle are factually inconsistent and even failing the test of science, the message is valid and Americans should celebrate that the real America is still alive inside some Americans.

Walter

Walt seems to like it.

True. I have poor eyesight so I write in a bigger font and it's easier for me to read other posts if they are also in a bigger font.

Avro

True. I have poor eyesight so I write in a bigger font and it's easier for me to read other posts if they are also in a bigger font.

Something I already knew, most people stuck in the stone age have difficulty seeing.

I'll keep it up for you old boy.

Avro

Would that be Stalin or Mao, who caused the deaths of tens of millions in their respective countries?

What the hell does that have to do with this?

Is this some weird defence of Hitler?

CDNBear

Something I already knew, most people stuck in the stone age have difficulty seeing.

What the hell does that have to do with this?

Is this some weird defence of Hitler?

Man...now you're just being annoying...

Give it a rest already.

Sal

Um avro, I think walter might be saying he actually has a vision problem.

Avro
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

Um avro, I think walter might be saying he actually has a vision problem.

I know that, I'm giving him a hand, is there a problem with this?

Avro

Man...now you're just being annoying...

Give it a rest already.

Shouldn't you be getting drunk right about now?

CDNBear

Shouldn't you be getting drunk right about now?

Is that just more assinine racist blather?

Or has talking out your a$$ become the norm for your debating style now?

Unforgiven
Nice to see you back BigBear.

Quote:

I'm not arguing the message, I'm arguing his motives, his delivery and his ethics

Don't shoot the messenger son! How many grifters are there in Washington?
It's of little use to bicker over personality flaws while such important matters are at hand. If in fact it's an altruistic mission you're on to spread the light of truth about then where are the corrections to the statements he's made?

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

Nice to see you back BigBear.

Thanx...

Quote:

Don't shoot the messenger son! How many grifters are there in Washington?

It's quite difficult not to, especialy when the messenger is so full of shyte and so hypocritically corrupt.

Blind eye to the polution from the mine on his land...
His power consuption...
His profiting from the hysteria he helped propogate...

and so on...

Quote:

It's of little use to bicker over personality flaws while such important matters are at hand. If in fact it's an altruistic mission you're on to spread the light of truth about then where are the corrections to the statements he's made?

Unfortunetly, I'm not that scientifically inclind, I'm waiting for someone I trust to spoon feed the answers to me, lol...

Sal

I know that, I'm giving him a hand, is there a problem with this?

Not if that is the true spirit of your intent. No.

Avro

Is that just more assinine racist blather?

Or has talking out your a$$ become the norm for your debating style now?

Just a question chief.

Debating on a forum is largely useless, so, may as well have some fun.

Avro
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

Not if that is the true spirit of your intent. No.

Perhaps I made them to big but until Walt objects I will continue to use that size when responding to him.

CDNBear

Just a question chief.

Debating on a forum is largely useless, so, may as well have some fun.

So resorting to racial slurs is now an appropriate form of debate?

Grow up.

Unforgiven

Thanx...

It's quite difficult not to, especialy when the messenger is so full of shyte and so hypocritically corrupt.

Blind eye to the polution from the mine on his land...
His power consuption...
His profiting from the hysteria he helped propogate...

and so on...

Unfortunetly, I'm not that scientifically inclind, I'm waiting for someone I trust to spoon feed the answers to me, lol...

The law is the law, if it was that bad he would be shut down.
The point is that he still is doing something about a problem by making people aware. While some like yourself have said he is full of it, there are no shortage of trusted and well informed scientists and others who back up what he has said.

That there are a few who say he's full of it and all wrong and a big fat liar isn't difficult to find. Big Tobacco had scientists that said that there was no way that smoking caused cancer and that nicotine wasn't addictive.

But they for the most part changed their view when presented with immunity from prosecution for breach of confidentiality and being kicked off the payroll.

It's easy to say someone is wrong, but all together different to show conclusively where and how.

MikeyDB
Racial slurs....hmmmmm

Perhaps you could tell us about your perspective on Palestinian babies once again...?

Something along the lines of "retard babies" wasn't it.....

Never mind, while I may have once respected your position and opinions, I don't any more.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

The law is the law, if it was that bad he would be shut down.
The point is that he still is doing something about a problem by making people aware. While some like yourself have said he is full of it, there are no shortage of trusted and well informed scientists and others who back up what he has said.

That there are a few who say he's full of it and all wrong and a big fat liar isn't difficult to find. Big Tobacco had scientists that said that there was no way that smoking caused cancer and that nicotine wasn't addictive.

But they for the most part changed their view when presented with immunity from prosecution for breach of confidentiality and being kicked off the payroll.

It's easy to say someone is wrong, but all together different to show conclusively where and how.

That goes both ways...especially when the messenger is profitiering from the hysteria.