Al Gore wins Nobel Peace Prize

Curiosity
Thanks Pangloss...

I am doing penance for telling someone else off on another forum for the same thing....you'd think I'd blown up the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa...hee

Avro
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

HA!

This guy is Bill Clinton with his zipper up. At least Slick Willy provided some good entertainment.....Gore is BORING pond scum.

Bill Clinton was a better conservative than Bush will ever be.

#juan
This was your original post Curio.

Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

Oh boy isn't history wonderful???

That pesky Nobel - for whom the award clangs....

I'm still wrestling the knowledge that Hitler also received the award.

Oh and the dude who invented dynamite - whatta guy - gotta look up his name.. (joke eh)

And then there is Mahatma Gandhi who was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize five times between 1937 and 1948 but never won it.

Kinda makes me sit back and ponder the use of it.

I started the topic because I thought it was mildly newsworthy. I should have known that someone would pi$$ on it.
Lots of good people have won the Nobel Peace Prize:
Albert Schweitzer, Lester B. Pearson, Martin Luther King, Mother Terese, Even Jimmy Carter, and Al Gore. I can only assume that you think none of them were worthy.

coldstream
This just shows the descent of the Nobel Prize. First of all this has nothing to do with Peace. It's part of a political agenda, tied in with a Global Trading regime that is at the core of Kyoto, in the guise of fear mongering about a non existent danger. Global Warming is a fraud, it has NO scientific credibility and is an assault on the scientific method and common empirical sense. Gore, the Arch FOOL and clown prince, of both Free Trade and Radical Pagan Environmentalism.. is the front man for something that portends the collapse of Western Economies and scientific civilization.

The Nobel is now centred on its political prizes.. that of economics (sponsored by a bank, not the original endowment).. and 'peace'.. in the hands of New Age deconstructivists.. which dovetails into its litarary prize. Its scientific prizes have become increasingly trivial, awarded to largely inconsequential refinements rather than cutting edge research (for reconstituted mice and the like.. ). Just know what you're dealing with now, it is a progaganda tool for a corrupt new world order that is both unscientific and predatory.
Last edited by coldstream; Oct 13th, 2007 at 01:21 PM..

Avro
Put Politics Aside and Celebrate Al Gore's Nobel Prize

11 Oct 07
First, our warmest congratulations to Al Gore. The Nobel Prize (external - login to view) is one of the world's great honors and, in our view, one that is extremely well-deserved.
But I'm conscious that the standing ovation Gore is enjoying today is not exactly unanimous. The climate change conversation has become polarized - and belligerent (external - login to view) - over the last decade. And Al Gore - a politician who dared to address a controversial public issue outside the conventional political process - has become a lightning rod for some hyper-political criticism. (external - login to view) How can we get people from all points on the political spectrum to celebrate Gore's Nobel Prize without feeling that they are sacrificing their own cherished political interests?
It is, first of all, a shame that we have to ask such a question. It's a shame that North American society has grown so adversarial that it is impossible to congratulate a political opponent without appearing weak. It's also a shame that the fossil-fueled climate change deniers were originally so successful in defining global warming as a political issue. It's a shame that many Republicans agreed early on to ignore the science, reasoning simply that "if Al Gore's for it, then I must be against it."
A lot of credit is owed to people like California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and Republican Presidential Candidate John McCain for getting us past that political polarization. These smart and courageous men broke early from the Republican pack to salute science over self-interest.
But the Nobel committee seems to agree that an even larger portion of credit should go to Al Gore. In a public education and advocacy campaign unprecedented in history, Gore was instrumental in alerting North Americans to this global threat. He got our attention.
Of course, he was not working alone. If I may be allowed a personal aside, I'd like to credit the David Suzuki Foundation (full disclosure; I'm the Chair) which produced its first major climate change campaign in 1996. And, more obviously, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - a global scientific collaboration that is also unprecedented in human history - has done almost two decades of exemplary work in advancing our understanding of this issue, even as certain self-interested parties were trying to keep us locked in confusion.
Still, for all the effort that everyone else has expended, I think it's clear that, in the American conversation, Al Gore tipped the balance. For which we all should offer an unequivocal: Bravo!
But we won't. Too many of us, today, are brooding about this honor, entirely because of its political implications. Too many are arguing, for example, that Gore was "only" trying to use his climate change advocacy campaign as a stepping stone to a presidential run for 2009. Well, if Gore planned all this - if he planned to win an Oscar, write a best seller and capture the Nobel Prize by publicizing the risks of anthropogenic global warming - he may be smarter than any of us suspected. If he's that prescient, he might make quite a good president.
But you don't have to commit a hypothetical vote to Al Gore for president. You don't have to forgive him for not fighting harder for the White House in 2001. You don't have to abandon any of your own political preferences just because you stand up today, with the the Nobel committee and the whole world, and say, thanks Al. Thanks for the hard work. Thanks for the good judgment. Thanks for refusing to let Exxon's baffle brigade continue to sew doubt about this critical global issue.
We have not turned the corner on emission controls, but I believe this Nobel Prize will demonstrate that we have turned a corner on a dark time of dissembling and denial. North America has finally acknowledged the scientific consensus and joined the global political consensus. For which, once again, we should say: Thanks Al. And congratulations. Today, you deserve it.

www.desmogblog.com/put-politi...es-nobel-prize (external - login to view)

Avro
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

This just shows the descent of the Nobel Prize. First of all this has nothing to do with Peace. It's part of a political agenda, tied in with a Global Trading regime that is at the core of Kyoto, in the guise of fear mongering about a non existent danger. Global Warming in a fraud, it has NO scientific credibility and is an assault on the scientific method and common empirical sense. Gore, the Arch FOOL and clown prince, of both Free Trade and Radical Pagan Environmentalism.. is the front man for something that portends the collapse of Western Economies and scientific civilization. The Nobel is now centred on its political prizes.. that of economics (sponsored by a bank, not the original endowment).. and 'peace'.. in the hands of New Age deconstructivists. Its scientific prizes have become increasingly trivial, awarded to largely inconsequential refinements rather than cutting edge research (for reconstituted mice and the like.. ). Just know what you're dealing with now, it is a progaganda tool for a new world order that is both unscientific and predatory.

I think your tin foil hat is a little tight.

#juan
There are a lot of people who object to Al Gore's movie without having ever seen it. I've watched the movie several times and no doubt there are some minor glitches, but none tear down the broader message that Gore is presenting. Global warming is here and it is already doing damage to real people. It should be obvious to any who's I.Q. is greater than their hat size that we should probably be doing something about it.

Curiosity
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

This was your original post Curio.

I started the topic because I thought it was mildly newsworthy. I should have known that someone would pi$$ on it.
Lots of good people have won the Nobel Peace Prize:
Albert Schweitzer, Lester B. Pearson, Martin Luther King, Mother Terese, Even Jimmy Carter, and Al Gore. I can only assume that you think none of them were worthy.

Juan ...and you have never pissed on so many other topics which have been introduced as newsworthy. You have leaped into the abyss of incorrect assumption demonstrating how off the mark you get when you can't contain your dislike of me personally.

If you want me to erace the post I would be glad to - I find it strange what I do is selectively irritating to you... when there are many people here rebutting much of what you write.

Should I bow down to the carnival the Nobel Award has become...?

Should I proclaim the U.N. is truly a benevolent and peace promoting organization?

Complain through the regular channels. My rights are protected here as are yours.

Avro
It's a carnival to you because your politics get in the way.

Go through the list before Gore and tell me who was unworthy of this prize and why.

Based on your Hitler comment I wonder what other facts you have got completely wrong.

#juan
Curio you did your best to cheapen the topic. I've said enough about it.

PS...FYI..The UN has nothing to do with the Nobel prize.
Last edited by #juan; Oct 13th, 2007 at 02:04 PM..

Avro
The greatest con trick, tell a story until it becomes true.

Cobalt_Kid
Quote: Originally Posted by thomaskaView Post

I am lol'ing on the floor at some of the canucks here who are pretending to know that the Goreacle is somehow good for America, or at least better than what we have.

Mr. Glowbull warming's house would eat up most of Canada's resources during a hard winter, but I suppose thats fine with some of you. Way to be be green Mr. Inconviency..

Moral equivalance. And you people. = Priceless.

It's a riot how Gores house has acheived epic proportions in the minds of of right-wing fanatics.

Do you think the Bushs or Cheneys or all the Republicans in Congress live in holes in the ground.

All the resistance to Gore is because he wants to change the world for the better for all at the expense of the rich, which is the opposite of the Neocons who are busy pillaging the planet to fund their elite lifestyle.

Curiosity

Curio you did your best to cheapen the topic. I've said enough about it.

PS...FYI..The UN has nothing to do with the Nobel prize.

Not enough said Juan - I have not been the only writer on this topic - if I cheapened it that would exist in your mind and those minds who disagree with me. You may have uttered a truth here because I believe Al Gore himself cheapens the credibility further of the Nobel Award. Why you single me out to take the ultimate blame here is beyond common sense..

Regarding your strange muttering about the U.N. Check the first line of the link you posted in bold... and the following link I have also posted to affirm.... The keywords here from which I took my remark: Gore and U.N. Panel ...jointly awarded Nobel Prize. That is the U.N. connection to which I referred and which you seem upset by.

Quote:

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7041082.stm (external - login to view)

Gore and UN panel win Nobel prize

Climate change campaigner Al Gore and the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change have been jointly awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

Relax Juan - I am not your enemy - people you disagree with are - and I am not their representative, nor am I the only one. Learn to accept confrontation with grace - life isn't that serious - and we are only a
small group of people hoping to spend a few hours in recreation. You seem determined to make it an unhappy experience.

#juan
For goodness sakes.....I know you hate Gore. That shows in everything you type about him.

Look at your first post and tell me you were not trying to belittle or put down the whole topic.

Do your worst Curio. I don't care.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by AvroView Post

Go through the list before Gore and tell me who was unworthy of this prize and why.

This answers your request. http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/s...3c27280345&p=2

Walter

The greatest con trick, tell a story until it becomes true.

Gore's good at it.

Avro
No Timothy Ball is.

gopher
All the resistance to Gore is because he wants to change the world for the better for all at the expense of the rich, which is the opposite of the Neocons who are busy pillaging the planet to fund their elite lifestyle.

Truer words have never been spoken here on CC.

Avro
Hey Walt, wrap your tiny head around this logic.

www.break.com/index/global-wa...y-is-back.html (external - login to view)

Cobalt_Kid
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Gore's good at it.

Yah, what a slight of hand.

Lets' take a look at what he's making disappear.

-Glaciers worldwide.
-Cubic miles of ice from Greenland.
-Larsen B iceshelf
-thousands of square miles of Artic sea ice.

Let's look at what he's conjuring up.

-massive droughts worldwide due to shifting weaher patterns as predicted under global warming models.
-massive flooding for the same reasons.
-more intense and frequent hurricane and other cyclonic storms. The massive Cat.5 Katrina hurricane in 2005 was succeeded in short order by two even more intense storms that season.
-They're going to have to create a whole new catagory of tornadoes due to intensifying storm systems.

I just listened on Quirks and Quarks how scientists across the arctic are reporting widespread melting of the permafrost.

The amazing thing to me is there is anyone left on the planet still able to deny the reality of climate change. You're the new flat-earthers.

Curiosity

For goodness sakes.....I know you hate Gore. That shows in everything you type about him.

Look at your first post and tell me you were not trying to belittle or put down the whole topic.

Do your worst Curio. I don't care.

Juan please calm down...

... and when you do please explain why this whole topic is based upon something I wrote half in jest - and have been taking it from you throughout. There is more than Gore and GW and the Nobel award.... I have just come to realize Juan how much you really dislike me and what I stand for.
I represent something you have decided upon years ago and yet you continue year after year to fault me on so many things it has become expected by me that no matter what I do, Juan will not be pleased with whatever I write or feel or believe.

I refuse to give you that power Juan....it won't work anymore with me.

What you thrive upon is......how people learn to hate their neighbors... why people kill each other over the smallest of issues...and how wars start. My life is spent in trying to eradicate this for as many people who will give me the opportunity and share their lives with me.... and I am successful at what I do.

I have done my best and you will never know it.

Cobalt_Kid
You equated a man who is doing his best to save us from the most pressing crisis of our time with a man who caused the greatest suffering in history Curiosity.

I can fully understand why Juan would be pissed at your dishonesty.

It's the irrationality that you represent that's the problem here.

Avro
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

Juan please calm down...

... and when you do please explain why this whole topic is based upon something I wrote half in jest - and have been taking it from you throughout. There is more than Gore and GW and the Nobel award.... I have just come to realize Juan how much you really dislike me and what I stand for.
I represent something you have decided upon years ago and yet you continue year after year to fault me on so many things it has become expected by me that no matter what I do, Juan will not be pleased with whatever I write or feel or believe.

I refuse to give you that power Juan....it won't work anymore with me.

What you thrive upon is......how people learn to hate their neighbors... why people kill each other over the smallest of issues...and how wars start. My life is spent in trying to eradicate this for as many people who will give me the opportunity and share their lives with me.... and I am successful at what I do.

I have done my best and you will never know it.

It's not more than Gore winning, your lack of knowledge tried to piss on what is a prestidious award because someone you hate was awarded it and that is a fact.

Run away from all you want but it is the the truth.

Don't try and play the Fox fair and balanced card because it is a pile of BS.

Just admit you have a political bias and get it over with.

Avro
Quote: Originally Posted by Cobalt_KidView Post

You equated a man who is doing his best to save us from the most pressing crisis of our time with a man who caused the greatest suffering in history Curiosity.

I can fully understand why Juan would be pissed at your dishonesty.

It's the irrationality that you represent that's the problem here.

BRAVO!!!!!

Locutus
Much of this type of drama can be propogated (but certainly maintained) by the media. Whether you believe them left, center or right in their owner's ideology. It's irrelevant. And you better believe that owner's want their ideas heard, whether it be print or other media.

The press picked up and ran with the Bush 'Iraq War' ball and never asked hard questions to challenge what the hell was really going on. No show us the proof. No journalism. Just bandwagoneering. USA #1. Nuke 'em. Because a few hawks said it was so? Indeed. Follow along and cheer like you're at a wrasslin' match. The Canadian press was almost as bad.

The same applies to Gore here. The concept of the scientists he speaks for is somewhat valid but the media has portayed this millionaire lawyer as a saint, the oracle. He that speaketh for mankind.

He is really the Emperor sans clothes and no one questions the blind followings. Soon they'll drink the kool aid too.

Free and independant thought is sorely lacking today. Media promote popular causes and their darling choices at the polls. The public in general is ignorant of what lay beneath and behind. It's sad that the gullability of society is as such. That something is repeated over and over in the media does not make something true, nor right.

Bush and his band of merry men misled the world about the hijackers and WMD. That the media reporting it's love-in of Al getting the so-called 'Peace Prize', while perhaps Goretastic, does not change the fact that it is a politically-oriented film with some holes in it's science that has been refuted by >50% of published scientists (there's an entire thread concerning this fact).

Too much media therapy can be a very dangerous thing indeed.

My opinion.

Avro
To bad that Bush had no consensous from the UN and it's inspectors while Gore has scientific consensous form the climate community.

Big difference between the two.

Locutus

To bad that Bush had no consensous from the UN and it's inspectors while Gore has scientific consensous form the climate community.

Big difference between the two.

No he does not. He has some support and many detractors. These are not armchair 'warmers' either. Read the article for yourself if you like.

SURVEY: LESS THAN HALF OF ALL PUBLISHED SCIENTISTS ENDORSE GLOBAL WARMING THEORY; COMPREHENSIVE SURVEY OF PUBLISHED CLIMATE RESEARCH REVEALS CHANGING VIEWPOINTS

forums.canadiancontent.net/sc...ng-theory.html (external - login to view)

I don't know if he's right in his regurgitation of his group's findings or not. But I do know that the minority think he is but the media plays it as 'truth'.

Cobalt_Kid
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Much of this type of drama can be propogated (but certainly maintained) by the media. Whether you believe them left, center or right in their owner's ideology. It's irrelevant. And you better believe that owner's want their ideas heard, whether it be print or other media.
The press picked up and ran with the Bush 'Iraq War' ball and never asked hard questions to challenge what the hell was really going on. No show us the proof. No journalism. Just bandwagoneering. USA #1. Nuke 'em. Because a few hawks said it was so? Indeed. Follow along and cheer like you're at a wrasslin' match. The Canadian press was almost as bad.
The same applies to Gore here. The concept of the scientists he speaks for is somewhat valid but the media has portayed this millionaire lawyer as a saint, the oracle. He that speaketh for mankind.
He is really the Emperor sans clothes and no one questions the blind followings. Soon they'll drink the kool aid too.
Free and independant thought is sorely lacking today. Media promote popular causes and their darling choices at the polls. The public in general is ignorant of what lay beneath and behind. It's sad that the gullability of society is as such. That something is repeated over and over in the media does not make something true, nor right.

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Bush is the Emperor without clothes not Gore.

Gores feet are firmly planted in the science, something that is becoming more apparent as time goes by.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by Cobalt_KidView Post

Would that be Stalin or Mao, who caused the deaths of tens of millions in their respective countries?
Last edited by Walter; Oct 14th, 2007 at 06:23 AM..Reason: spelling, grammar

Walter
[quote=Cobalt_Kid;888239The amazing thing to me is there is anyone left on the planet still able to deny the reality of climate change. You're the new flat-earthers.[/quote]The climate is always changing but I'm not arrogant enough to believe that man is responsible for the change.