Lights to go out on inefficient bulbs by 2012

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
The federal government will ban the sale of inefficient lightbulbs by 2012 in a move to reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gases, Natural Resources Minister Gary Lunn says.

More...

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I'm wondering because regular fluorescents don't work well in the cold. I'm not sure that Cuba has too many -25 days.

The compacts work pretty good in the cold, much better than regular tubes. There are dimmable compacts but I've never tried one. I have changed most of my house over to compacts. I do have halogen under cabinet lights and some pot lights as well. I hope the don't pull these too or I'm into some $$$ for fixtures.

Last edited:

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Ineffective they weren't ineffective ,the reason is because the Primer Minsters Third cousin once removed , owns the other new bulb company and cousin"Step" said if he ever got to be the big Head cheese he'd let cousin Freedy monopolize the light bulb world

I Heard this through a Friend of a Friends of theirs

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Ineffective they weren't ineffective ,the reason is because the Primer Minsters Third cousin once removed , owns the other new bulb company and cousin"Step" said if he ever got to be the big Head cheese he'd let cousin Freedy monopolize the light bulb world

I Heard this through a Friend of a Friends of theirs
for a light bulb your quite connected.....

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
The compacts work pretty good in the cold, much better than regular tubes. There are dimmable compacts but I've never tried one. I have changed most of my house over to compacts. I do have halogen under cabinet lights and some pot lights as well. I hope the don't pull these too or I'm into some $$$ for fixtures.
One would think that their will be future designs that would fit other types of fixtures. Also when this becomes law and there is more of a market the over-all product should get better. Recently bought some that are far better light that the previous ones so is happening already.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
They cannot completely ban all incandescents, the technology doesn't exist to replace all types of incadescents with flourescent. Although great advances in LED lights have become more economical lately.
Someone mentioned seizures. People are used to associating flourescent light with a "cool white" color. Flourescent *flicker free* bulbs in a wide variety of colors (temperature) hav been available for years.
If you change 80% of your bulbs into energy saving bulbs, you will be surprised as to how much your electric bill will go down.
Instead of banning incandescents, the government should provide incentives to switchover.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
They cannot completely ban all incandescents, the technology doesn't exist to replace all types of incadescents with flourescent. Although great advances in LED lights have become more economical lately.
Someone mentioned seizures. People are used to associating flourescent light with a "cool white" color. Flourescent *flicker free* bulbs in a wide variety of colors (temperature) hav been available for years.
If you change 80% of your bulbs into energy saving bulbs, you will be surprised as to how much your electric bill will go down.
Instead of banning incandescents, the government should provide incentives to switchover.
Well, I supose they could tax incandescents. It would be better then an outright bann. Why not tax them at 300%?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I'll just bring back these kerosene lamps, I knew this electricity thing was a fad.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I'll just bring back these kerosene lamps, I knew this electricity thing was a fad.

That seems to be the direction some want to go in. BTW Al Gore is in Calgary. Does anywone know where so I can go protest against him?