Daughter of slain professor calls for tougher gun laws

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
The daughter of a Canadian professor who was killed in the Virginia Tech shootings says she is going to push to change the state's gun laws.

More...

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I've been enjoying hearing the pro gun organizations saying that if everyone had guns this would have not happened...

....noooo...I don't think so...

what PROBABLY would have happened is an old style, wild west shoot out where everyone would try to be the hero and innocent bystanders would get blown away in the crossfire.

What WOULD have prevented this is for folks to have seen the warning signs of a mentally ill person and taken some action to try and get him some help...and, make sure he wasn't near, you know...guns.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Was there anyway of really preventing this? Isn't something like that event the cost of a free society? If they had psychological gestapo pulling people out of society, I guess it could be prevented, but is that a society we/they as a whole want to live in? Psych police interrogating people about what they're thinking in case they aren't good thoughts. No thanks.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Was there anyway of really preventing this? Isn't something like that event the cost of a free society? If they had psychological gestapo pulling people out of society, I guess it could be prevented, but is that a society we/they as a whole want to live in? Psych police interrogating people about what they're thinking in case they aren't good thoughts. No thanks.

I totally agree. As horrific as this was the chances of actually being a victim of such an incident are quite small. However, it still shouldn't of been so easy for him to get a gun. If you join the army they do quite a thorough background check. You have to have references that are not family. Buying a gun in the US is just a quick check and the incidents that suggested he might need help didn't even appear on his record.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
No police, but it'd help if a couple psychologists made up a questionaire or something that every applicant for a license had to fill out. Some sort of screening besides the week-long cool-off period they have.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
This fellow had enough information about him, on paper, to tell anyone he never should have had
a gun in his hand, at any time. I agree with you Kreskin, but in this case, there was worrysome
behavior, calls to police, and reports, all of which seemed to fall through the cracks.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
This fellow had enough information about him, on paper, to tell anyone he never should have had
a gun in his hand, at any time. I agree with you Kreskin, but in this case, there was worrysome
behavior, calls to police, and reports, all of which seemed to fall through the cracks.
I know what you mean, but these kind of issues are probably a dime a dozen for the police and psychologists. I can think of some who have posted on CanCon that, if they ever went looney and shot up something, we'd all be saying we should have seen the signs. Perhaps there can be better gun controls but a guy like him would likely have gotten his hands on something outside of the licensing routine anyway. Hindsight is 20/20.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I know what you mean, but these kind of issues are probably a dime a dozen for the police and psychologists. I can think of some who have posted on CanCon that, if they ever went looney and shot up something, we'd all be saying we should have seen the signs. Perhaps there can be better gun controls but a guy like him would likely have gotten his hands on something outside of the licensing routine anyway. Hindsight is 20/20.

Maybe he would have or maybe he wouldn't but it didn't have to be so easy. Also the harder it is for him the more chance of him getting caught before hand. For instance if he was trying to build a bomb his roommates might of tipped off the police. As for black market guns I don't know how hard they are to get. The guy didn't have many connections. He could have winded up trying to buy guns from a cop.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
As I said earlier, if there was a questionaire written by behavioral scientists ( and I'm sure there are plenty of them) administered to applicants before a firearm is issued, it'd probably cut back on the amount of loonies acquiring firearms.

Um, I also posted those because I think the symptoms are handy to know. If I didn't know them beforehand, I probably woulda thought west was simply a jerk.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Even the link regarding anti-social personality disorder says:

Potential warning signs
Though antisocial personality disorder cannot be formally diagnosed before age 18, three warning signs, known as the MacDonald Triad, can be found in some children. These are, a longer-than-usual period of bedwetting, cruelty to animals, and pyromania.
It is not known how many children who exhibit these signs grow up to develop antisocial personality disorder, but these signs are often found in the histories of diagnosed adults. Because it is unknown how many children have these symptoms and who do not develop antisocial personality disorder, the predictive value (ie, the usefulness of these symptoms for predicting future antisocial personality disorder) is unclear.
We would need a society of witchhunts to defend against something like this, and even then there is no guarantee imo.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Even the link regarding anti-social personality disorder says:

We would need a society of witchhunts to defend against something like this, and even then there is no guarantee imo.

I find the term anti-social behavior kind of offensive. Can't they call it something else? People are called anti-social all the time and it means nothing like this.