U.S. radio host suspended for racist comments

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
MSNBC and CBS Radio are suspending U.S. radio host Don Imus's talk show for two weeks following offensive comments he made about a women's basketball team.

More...

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I guess the news on Anna Nicole is drawing to a close with the results today of the father-ship(?) of her little baby girl so..........Imus stepped in and filled the need...

Imus has been spewing stuff for years and years - offensive - racist - anti whatever - and it is what he does for a living.

There seems to be a move afoot by NBC to get a little more middle of the road politically and clean up their act pre-2008 election stuff - Imus might deter some candidates from filling air time - some of them would never meet up with Imus - and he does take up three hours of good morning news slot time if NBC wants to get serious for a change.

He would be happier staying at the CBS Radio WFAN and shooting off his mouth for millions.... he should never have gone uppity getting into the NBC studios like that - like a walnut in your trousers - an uncomfortable fit.

Re the Sharpton and J.Jackson - the two Reverends are also doing what they do .... the racist shuffle.... it's what earns them their own little tax free salaries! Ooops....

Much ado about filling air time and keeping audience interest.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
For the past few weeks.....the media has been consumed by:

Anna Nicole's baby's daddy....

Imus vs. Female African American Basketball Players

O'Reilly vs. Geraldo

Rosie O'Donut against the woild!!! and Trump hahaha

Have we sunk to the bottom of nooz yet?

Bring back mad old Walter Crankcase! He'll fit fine into the mix.

Elmer Fudd had more sense than these fools..... and his Kwazy Wabbit!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I guess the news on Anna Nicole is drawing to a close with the results today of the father-ship(?) of her little baby girl so..........Imus stepped in and filled the need...

Imus has been spewing stuff for years and years - offensive - racist - anti whatever - and it is what he does for a living.

There seems to be a move afoot by NBC to get a little more middle of the road politically and clean up their act pre-2008 election stuff - Imus might deter some candidates from filling air time - some of them would never meet up with Imus - and he does take up three hours of good morning news slot time if NBC wants to get serious for a change.

He would be happier staying at the CBS Radio WFAN and shooting off his mouth for millions.... he should never have gone uppity getting into the NBC studios like that - like a walnut in your trousers - an uncomfortable fit.

Re the Sharpton and J.Jackson - the two Reverends are also doing what they do .... the racist shuffle.... it's what earns them their own little tax free salaries! Ooops....

Right on, C. As the Romans used to say, "Excitabat fluctus in simpulo" (the tempest in the teapot thing). :D

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I think the guy's a jerk too, and should be tossed out on his butt.
BUT, why are the rappers allowed to say the horrible things they do in their songs, which are
repeated over and over, and noone ever comes out and creates the attention that this issue
has.
Those songs (if you can call them that) are very disrespectfull, and degrading for women, and yet
they are played year in and year out, why are they protected and not tossed.

What kind of people 'like' those songs, and what does that tell us about them.
What kind of publishers, publish those songs, and of course we know that is for money, and they
don't care about anything else, the usual 'shallow' types.

Why aren't we ALL outraged by them, as we are by this recent issue.

I watched the complete CNN broadcast this morning, and the basketball team and their coach are
a fine group of women doing what they do best, and obtaining a good education at the same time.
These are real solid citizens, who weren't given any attention by anyone in the media till there is
some negative news to spout, (ratings?), and the women expressed that point as well, said they
have been hounded, had to unplug their phones, as the media won't leave them alone now.

The guy called them nappy headed hos, could someone tell me what a ho is please.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Talloola, the majority of rap music is bought by white teens and preteens wanting to sock it to their longsuffering parents. The number I remember from an industry break down last year was 70%. It's an indictment of white kids, and their disrespect for their parents, their culture and themselves.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Talloola, the majority of rap music is bought by white teens and preteens wanting to sock it to their longsuffering parents. The number I remember from an industry break down last year was 70%. It's an indictment of white kids, and their disrespect for their parents, their culture and themselves.

Well, I feel sorry for those wimpy parents, no control, no authority, no guts, no glory, and bad kids.
Well, whoever buys the stuff, it is disgusting, and never would have been in our home, when our
four daughters were teens. In fact, I know they would never have chosen stuff like that for themselves,
they had much better taste, so I wouldn't have had a problem.

Last edited:

Toro

Senate Member

That's why I have my son listening to the likes of Iron Maiden and The Offspring.

I figure that when he becomes a rebellious teenager, he'll start listening to Chopin and Mozart.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
That's not what that Latin phrase says.

It translates as, literally

"That shrimp gave me bad flatulence."
I can't find the source I got the phrase from, but here's another that says you are wrong: http://www.answers.com/topic/excitabat-fluctus-in-simpulo

and another: http://www.sanjeev.net/latin/latin-phrases-starting-with-e-23.html

and apparently the author of the quote says differently than you: http://www.giga-usa.com/quotes/authors/cicero_a011.htm

I fail to see why anyone would take Imus the jackass seriously.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I've watched Beck and Anderson Cooper tonight on the Imus affair. It's laughable. Rap has mainstreamed terms like 'bitch' and 'ho' and one CNN clip provided by Cooper showed a large black college women's student group interviewed and each confessed to calling other girls "ho's". All of them. Of course, another journalist allowed "nappy" crosses the line. Okay. Black commentators were brought on and with the usual flourish condemned Imus and simultaneously dismissed any similar corrective for rap because it's on a different "platform." I've seldom witnessed such abject rationalization. The Imus imbroglio will have been worth it if in a year's time no rap song includes "ho" or "bitch" or "nigger" or any other popular invective mainstreamed by the genre. I'll be watching. If Imus's crucifixion can elicit such a transformation it will have been worth the agonizing hypocricy on view tonight across the media.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I've watched Beck and Anderson Cooper tonight on the Imus affair. It's laughable. Rap has mainstreamed terms like 'bitch' and 'ho' and one CNN clip provided by Cooper showed a large black college women's student group interviewed and each confessed to calling other girls "ho's". All of them. Of course, another journalist allowed "nappy" crosses the line. Okay. Black commentators were brought on and with the usual flourish condemned Imus and simultaneously dismissed any similar corrective for rap because it's on a different "platform." I've seldom witnessed such abject rationalization. The Imus imbroglio will have been worth it if in a year's time no rap song includes "ho" or "bitch" or "nigger" or any other popular invective mainstreamed by the genre. I'll be watching. If Imus's crucifixion can elicit such a transformation it will have been worth the agonizing hypocricy on view tonight across the media.

I agree, there has to be some forward movement as a result of this incident, which 'should' include
the rap music having some restrictions, for sure.
Noone can control the low class language in conversation that goes on between 'people', if it isn't hurled at
anyone else, who might take action against them, as is this case.
The Imus types are so full of themselves, and their own importance, that it is a good thing when
they screw up and make a blunder like this one, as it will bring them back to earth a little, and
show them that they are really nothing more than the guy on the street, who has no particular
respect for women, his thoughts just escaped through his mouth before he could stop them, BUT
the whole country was listening.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

8OBecoming a tad cynical in our maturing years Curio??.........fer shame.:lol::lol:

;-)Uggawalla

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Tamarin .... well said! You nailed it.

Hi Nug.... I sure am jaded at the state of what we call media these days.

There are few authentic journalists who communicate information to the people - and those who did that work have been replaced by hypocrites, biased gossip mongers, and people who truly enjoy witnessing suffering and tragedy. It would seem the mark of success these days for broadcasters and authors is the level of hysteria created.

Perhaps that is what the population wants - but I think they have been taught to want it by the strange power the media holds over us.

Even informal and amateur forums such as this cater to the poke and run rather than the informal exchange of ideas... Many of us are interested not in each other but to see how far we can go in irritation and yes cruelty.... I speak in general terms of internet forums, not necessarily this one.

We have a wonderful gift in our electronic communications ... and still, it has created monsters for our worship. I find that a sad turn on the path humanity walks.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
I think Howard Stern has it right...

Howard Stern to Imus: 'Say F**k You!'

Shock jock Howard Stern is no fan of embattled Don Imus, but he said he knows what his fellow talk show host should have told critics: "F**k you.”
"He's apologizing like a guy who got his first broadcasting job,” Stern told his Sirius Satellite Radio audience after Imus apologized for his derogatory comment about the Rutgers women’s basketball team.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/4/10/112340.shtml?s=ic