Smokers call in sick more, have poorer performance: study

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
"Among workers aged 16 to 65 with a range of occupations, the average total number of days taken as sick leave was 25."
This is Sweden, realm of the Slacker King. This figure is flippin' phenomenal! And then they whack smokers on top of this number. Talk about a society with a mixed up citizenry! They're all lazy b*stards. And they're constantly touted for their standard of living. Who's smoking what?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
At my current hospital workers get written up if they have 5 sick incidents in one calendar year. It's one of the many reasons I choose to be contracted through an agency rather than being a regular hospital employee.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Morbidly obese people are even worse..... maybe not in the sick days section but I've seen some uselessly large folks on the clock out there, don't need no study to know that folks who can't bend over are not good for too much

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Not really. It's stats based on a population, of women in the Navy. The fact that only women were sampled doesn't negate the findings at all. They could have said smoking women are more likely to take more time off work than non-smoking women, but I don't think that tobacco smoke discriminates between the sexes in it's effects. If they wanted to say that women smokers were more likely to be sick than men, well then yes, this study would be flawed. Also, they also mentioned a study in Sweden.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
bad stats. Its only women, and how many of these woman were PMSING?

I don't get it.... how does PMS factor in? Women who smoke, and women who don't smoke, still both PMS. If the study only sampled women, then the only difference is smoking... we all PMS about the same amount.

GenGap

Electoral Member
Mar 19, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't get it.... how does PMS factor in? Women who smoke, and women who don't smoke, still both PMS. If the study only sampled women, then the only difference is smoking... we all PMS about the same amount.

Yes, yet alot of woman tend to work less or take sick-leave during PMS and alot more smoke during PMS. Women that tend not to smoke and have PMS, tend to take less sick leave and are more productive according to health Canada.

The amount of people they surveyed is very small, and it was reflecting one place of employment and not all women in general. This is a better example why, this stat holds no weight.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
When conducting an investigation like this, a change in the workplace is an example of a factor which needs to be controlled. They want to measure a response(sickness), in relation to a variable (smoking). In order to do so properly the conditions must be constant throughout the sample. And 5000 people is not a small sample. Theres a number of analytical methods which tell the researchers whethor or not the sample is representative of the population. Normality for instance.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Morbidly obese people are even worse..... maybe not in the sick days section but I've seen some uselessly large folks on the clock out there, don't need no study to know that folks who can't bend over are not good for too much
mabudon, I really don't want to say FU, but I think I might fall in the "morbidly obese" category. I kinda like the way you think most of the time, so I'll personally grant you a mulligan on this if it was just a slip up.

Though I CAN bend over and actually touch my toes, your statement was as harsh as some statements I've seen you get a tad irked over. There have to be thousands of folkes out there that might fit that ugly title, that not only contribute to society, but work hard to provide for their families.

Weight is not the best way to judge someones worth, or ablity. Of this I can assure you.

Not really. It's stats based on a population, of women in the Navy. The fact that only women were sampled doesn't negate the findings at all. They could have said smoking women are more likely to take more time off work than non-smoking women, but I don't think that tobacco smoke discriminates between the sexes in it's effects. If they wanted to say that women smokers were more likely to be sick than men, well then yes, this study would be flawed. Also, they also mentioned a study in Sweden.
If smoking is banned indoors, and smokers must smoke outside, then I would say the study is flawed. It could easily be a matter of being forced to endure the elliments as apposed to smoking.

Non?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Not to mention Bear, that people tend to have that preconceived notion of obese people, and so they watch overweight folk to 'prove' their idea, while they don't watch and critique skinny folk.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
If smoking is banned indoors, and smokers must smoke outside, then I would say the study is flawed. It could easily be a matter of being forced to endure the elliments as apposed to smoking.

Not really. Choosing to smoke and continue to smoke will force you into that position. So the exposure to the elements could contribute to the illness, but the conclusion that smokers have more sick days than non-smokers still stands.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I smoke but I wouldn't consider smoking inside any premises including my own.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

I hate it when men use this as a reason to explain anything about women. The last time my brother tried to blame my annoyance with him on PMS, I beat him with a hairbrush.:angryfire:

And no, I wasn't pmsing at the time.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I hate it when men use this as a reason to explain anything about women. The last time my brother tried to blame my annoyance with him on PMS, I beat him with a hairbrush.:angryfire:

And no, I wasn't pmsing at the time.
That's called post-pms.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
That's called post-pms.

You can't have any m syndromes, pre or post, when you don't get a period at all. TMI maybe, but my birth control method of choice means no periods. My brother was just an idiot and my annoyance completely justified (as it always is when it comes to him):lol: .

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
My hubby breaks it down into the four weeks of the cycle, and the only time he likes me is when the letters don't add up to PMS. lol. Go figure.

pre-menstrual
plus-menstrual
post-menstrual
ovulating

LOL. Once in while there is super-menstrual. That's when everyone needs to take cover, fully armed.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
LOL. Once in while there is super-menstrual. That's when everyone needs to take cover, fully armed.

I have fibromyalgia, and it flares up right along with the usual female annoyances that come with PMS. So, on top of everything else, my skin crawls, lights are too bright, noises are too loud, all of my joints are screaming, and I'm completely exhausted. My hubby gets screamed at if he looks at me wrong. He'll try to put a consoling hand on my shoulder, and he gets it bitten off. The kids walk through the house, and get screamed at for making 'so much noise'. I am, for lack of a better description, a raving lunatic. *I* can't even stand me.

Take cover doesn't even BEGIN to help..... leave the province is what my hubby prefers. lol.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I beat him with a hairbrush.:angryfire:

Why do women resort to violence so much anyways?

One little comment and the next thing you know your being hit or beaten with the nearest object....