Immigration critical to Canadian population growth: census

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
And do the census wonks give us a profile of Canada 25 and 50 years down the road as to what our population mix will look like if present immigration patterns continue? Surely, if we're baking a pie we should be entitled to see what the final product will look like. Those gungho on opening up the country have a responsibility to those here now as to what they're achieving by opening the gates. There should be a responsible immigration debate in the country and the 'reps' in Ottawa should be listening to what Canada's citizens want. And acting accordingly. And not. To put it bluntly, if current policy makers and their special interest buddies want the country to be 51% Chinese by 2075 I'd like to know about it.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
do you know, when i saw this thread appear, i thought to myself "this one'll get going pretty soon... and i bet the first poster will be tamarin"

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I also would like to know what the face of our country will look like in the future. It will definetly be a changing face but what has to be looked at is what changes and in what ways.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Sparrow, you're right. Canada is following an immigration approach that no other country is. That alone should raise a very large flag. We accept three times per capita what the States does and the US is known for its generosity.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
This country was founded by immigrants. We're not an old country, our natural birth rate is low, so we will continue to accept immigrants. Whats so hard to understand, unless we want to stagnate and shrink instead of grow, or increase the burden on taxpayers...

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Tonington, it's not as simple as that and you know it. Immigration source countries have completely shifted and if this continues annually into the far future you will have a country that will be far different than the Canada seen 30 years ago or today. The question remains: are Canadians fully aware of any and all implications of becoming a far different country than what is seen today? What pressures will exist in 50 years on our current institutions, traditions and values that don't exist now? Actions have consequences. Canada is alone in pursuing immigration so aggressively. When you're a small population country huge change is possible within this century. I look at the recent uproar in Toronto over Hindus wanting to deposit their ashes in local rivers. It's a reminder that we should be fully aware of what can be expected over the next half century as growing and increasingly demanding non-traditional communities assert their interests. We are entitled to know exactly what it is we're getting into.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Immigration really isn't bad. What does it mean to be Canadian?

When someone asks me what Canadians eat, I have to ask them, which Canadians?
When someone asks me what festivals we have, I have to ask them, which Canadians?
When someone asks me what religion Canadians are, I have to ask them, which Canadians?

When someone asks me what a Canadian is, I remember just how singular my nation truly is.

Lest we forget:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Great cartoon! There's many an aboriginal that rues the mistakes made by his forebears. The blighted reserves across Canada prove ample testimony for their views.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Tonington, it's not as simple as that and you know it. Immigration source countries have completely shifted and if this continues annually into the far future you will have a country that will be far different than the Canada seen 30 years ago or today. The question remains: are Canadians fully aware of any and all implications of becoming a far different country than what is seen today? What pressures will exist in 50 years on our current institutions, traditions and values that don't exist now? Actions have consequences. Canada is alone in pursuing immigration so aggressively. When you're a small population country huge change is possible within this century. I look at the recent uproar in Toronto over Hindus wanting to deposit their ashes in local rivers. It's a reminder that we should be fully aware of what can be expected over the next half century as growing and increasingly demanding non-traditional communities assert their interests. We are entitled to know exactly what it is we're getting into.

Of course there will be changes. We will see demographical changes without new immigration as our population ages, as the growth in our country takes place in different areas, disproportionately so I might add. What implications is it that you are worried about? Lots of fear out there spread because of change. Our traditions and values are changing anyways, outwardly more so than inward. By that I mean as we become more diverse and secular, those traditions are removed from the public, does that make your traditions in your household prone to dissolution? I should hope not.

Non-traditional communities, you mean like the Europeans who displaced the Natives? Do you think it fair that only Christian-European traditions be allowed? The moment I start depending on government and the public to protect my own traditions, is the day I've lost touch with my own, and my fault for allowing it to happen.

I should let it be known that to me Christmas for example is not Christian to me. Similar names, overlapping periods of time, but not the same. When does Christmas start now? After Halloween. My Christmas tradition is to spend time with my familly, share some gifts, laughs and good meals. My familly is Christian, but there is nothing Christian about how it is celebrated.

As to influences by incoming immigrants, who cares so long as they operate within the law. If they want to dump their ashes they had better do it within the proper legal channels. I do believe that we need to work better at integrating immigrants to our laws, they can keep their customs. So I do think immigration issues need to be dealt with, but immigration shouldn't be anything to fear. If you have a problem go to your MP.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
And will that MP represent his constituents' views first or that of his party? And if he chooses the former will he be allowed to run in the next election given that party leaders approve all candidates? And if he chooses to represent his electors will he cede the right to any committee position and possible cabinet placement to others who aren't as responsive to their constituency? I might as well talk to the wall.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
If you feel that way there are other avenues. Organize your objections, raise awareness, there is a plethora of media out there to use at your dispense. Democracy is more than a simple vote that you get to use every couple of years, especially in this country where your rights as a citizen have been given to you via democracy. If people were willing to put forth any effort into what they believe, perhaps there wouldn't be so much cynicism when it comes to the democratic system we enjoy. It certainly seems better to all the immigrants who would rather leave their home countries behind.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Of course the country will be different.It's changing gradually all the time, anyway. A lot of immigrants come here because it is a better country than that they came from, which leads to the tendency to think that everything in Canada is just perfect. It ain't, but that's what they think. They need stability and change is antithetical to stability. So the people that started out being Canadian are trying to change things for the better, and a lot of newbies are trying to gain stability. Fisticuffs ensure (figuratively). The problem I want to get through to people is that the CIC is a detriment to Canadian society at this point.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
........ we need to be more discerning about who stays and who doesn't.

Ditto that Les. I can't help but bring up that family in the detention center down south. 10 years and a child, with no wrong-doings and no citizenship for them. Contrast that with allowing criminals to stay here to escape punishment deemed as unjust...doesn't compute.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
And will that MP represent his constituents' views first or that of his party? And if he chooses the former will he be allowed to run in the next election given that party leaders approve all candidates? And if he chooses to represent his electors will he cede the right to any committee position and possible cabinet placement to others who aren't as responsive to their constituency?
.... or face being ignored by the party.
I might as well talk to the wall.
Yup.