Harper announces $1B in farm aid

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Prime Minister Stephen Harper was in Saskatchewan Friday to announce $1 billion in aid for Canadian farmers - but the budget will have to pass before all of the cash starts flowing.

More...

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Holy jeez...an election MUST be coming up soon...this guy is throwing money around left and right, and making sure he hits all of the major issues...the environment, oil sands development, farming, transportation and infrastructure. Everyday...a billion here, a billion there....wow.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I thought Harper said something about having elections fixed every 4 or 5 years or something like that.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
1 billion in aid LOL
most will be used up in admin costs, which ends up in gov coffers anyway...the rest will be used to remove farmers from the family farm! which will end up in gov coffers anyway.......

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The farmers seem to be pleased by this announcement. Better than nothing is it not?

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I see what he's doing. The big turning point could be the budget. If the opposition defeat him on the budget, it's back to the polls. But, if the government is defeated, then the budget dies, and so does all this money that Harper is promising. If the opposition parties do defeat the government, Harper will have leverage coming into an election because the other parties look like the bad guy for not allowing the budget that would distribute all this cash to go through, and the conservatives look good for saying they would have given the money. Classic manuevering...I think...I dunno.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
I worked for a state government....I saw the document that said they wanted to get their hands on the family farm.... I saw the documents that said rain water was a commodity....you'll never guess who owns it....

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I worked for a state government....I saw the document that said they wanted to get their hands on the family farm.... I saw the documents that said rain water was a commodity....you'll never guess who owns it....
Mattel? I dunno. Well, Canada isn't the US. I mean, not to say that the same crap can't happen, but...well...what am I saying...I dunno.

Anyway...who owns rain water?

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Intersting, way to go Harper, honey!

See alot of farmers were :mad: about the Wheat Board thing, so this is easing the tensions for farmers.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
they believe rainwater is basicaly the only source of fresh water left....sadly
so...inn their "wisdom" they decided that rainwater was a commodity...and we, the peasants, will be charged accordingly.....

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Indeed, a link would be good.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you saw the document, probably not in the public domain...