U.N. report says Britain worst place for children

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
By Astrid Zweynert and Kate Kelland
LONDON (Reuters) - Britain is the worst country in the industrialized world in which to be a child, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) said on Wednesday.
The charity looked at 40 indicators to gauge the lives of children in 21 economically advanced nations -- the first study of its kind -- and found Britain's children were among the poorest and most neglected.
Children's charities and opposition politicians described the findings as "shameful" and accused Prime Minister Tony Blair's government of failing a generation of children.
Britain lagged behind on key measures of poverty and deprivation, happiness, relationships, and risky or bad behavior, the study showed.
It scored a little better for education but languished in the bottom third for all other measures, giving it the lowest overall placing, along with the United States.
Children's happiness was rated highest in northern Europe, with the Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark leading the list.
"All countries have weaknesses that need to be addressed and no country features in the top third of the rankings for all six dimensions," said David Bull, UNICEF UK's executive director.
The study found there was no consistent relationship between a country's wealth, as measured in gross domestic product per capita, and a child's quality of life.
The Czech Republic, for example, achieved a higher overall ranking than economically wealthier France.
'SHAMEFUL'
Colette Marshall, UK director of charity Save the Children, said the report was a "shameful" verdict on Britain.
"Despite the UK's wealth, we are failing to give children the best possible start in life," she said in a statement.
She said "drastic action," including an injection of 4.5 billion pounds, was needed to meet a government target of halving the number of children in poverty by 2010.
A government spokeswoman said the data in the report -- mainly taken from 2000 to 2003 -- was not up to date and that reforms introduced through the "Every Child Matters" initiative had improved child welfare.
There were 700,000 fewer children living in relative poverty than in 1998/99, and the overall number living in absolute poverty had been halved, she said.
But the Child Poverty Action Group said the report was "an important reminder that we need to go further, faster" and the chief executive of the Children's Society, Bob Reitemeier, described it as "very worrying" for Britain.
George Osborne, Treasury spokesman for the opposition Conservative Party, said the report was a damning indictment of the policies of Blair and his finance minister and likely successor Gordon Brown.
"After ten years of his welfare and education policies, our children today have the lowest well-being in the developed world," he said. Brown had "failed this generation of children and will fail the next if he's given a chance," Osborne said.
Copyright © 2007 Reuters Limited.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
No taunting is necessary, I'm sure Blackleaf is well aware of how the British government has screwed up over the past fifty years. Having your Prime Minister scuffling and yapping like a lap-dog around the feet of Britains American masters must fill Blackleaf and his country men with pride....

In all fairness though, labor party or grit, the world we live in today is the nearly completed sculpture of the greed-generation....

With a lunatic like Bush being supported by Blair...and factoring in the mess the British Empire has left all over the world where ever its been involved subjugating people and stealing resources in the effort of continuing to pretend it's a "great nation"...ruler of the waves...."Empire"...etc. its small wonder that children suffer the outrages of a civilization given wholly to their personal wants and embedded entitlement...

Entirely par for the course in today's world...

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Are you taunting Blackleaf with this thread? :angryfire:

nope, he's not. Actually, it's very true and quite shameful as it happens....I know that my country is such a warm, friendly caring place for children to grow that we created the Royal Society for the Protection of Animals a 100 years before the Royal Society for the Protection of Children.

it's a dirty little secret, but in all....a true one.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
No taunting is necessary, I'm sure Blackleaf is well aware of how the British government has screwed up over the past fifty years. Having your Prime Minister scuffling and yapping like a lap-dog around the feet of Britains American masters must fill Blackleaf and his country men with pride....

In all fairness though, labor party or grit, the world we live in today is the nearly completed sculpture of the greed-generation....

With a lunatic like Bush being supported by Blair...and factoring in the mess the British Empire has left all over the world where ever its been involved subjugating people and stealing resources in the effort of continuing to pretend it's a "great nation"...ruler of the waves...."Empire"...etc. its small wonder that children suffer the outrages of a civilization given wholly to their personal wants and embedded entitlement...

and to be fair....how the Hockey Puck did you manage to include the British Empire in your tirade....

Americans are no better than the long since dead British Empire...so why bring it up?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
This is part of the reason i left. It's not just the politicians either. There is a culture there which is not geared to children. They are thought of as annoying and noisy, and to be kept out of public places. There are shops which allow dogs but not children. I wanted to bring up kids and canada seemed like a better place to do it.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Are you just plain stupid or do you have a reading and comprehension problem?

Read the title of the thread and see if you can work out how Britain came to occupy a place in my "tirade"...

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Good to see that our government puts the little b*stards in their place.

For centuries the British have never liked children. That's why we have often ranked as one of the world's richest and most powerful countries (caring for children gets in the way of progress) whereas the countries top of the lists - Holland, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, etc, have never ranked amongst the world's top countries.

And remember that of the 21 countries, the United States ranks 2oth, just one place above Britain. It's good old Anglo-Saxon economics.

The British have just never liked children, in my opinion. You should have lived here in the Victorian times when we sent them to work down the coal mines or put them into the workhouses. But it still didn't stop us dominating the globe.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

You're talking absolute bile.

The British Empire hasn't left a mess in the world - the legacy of the British Empire is the world's richest countries: America, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Britain.

Just thank yourselves lucky that you weren't a full part of the French Empire, or else you'd be on a par with Niger or Algeria right now.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Good to see that our government puts the little b*stards in their place.

For centuries the British have never liked children. That's why we have often ranked as one of the world's richest and most powerful countries (caring for children gets in the way of progress) whereas the countries top of the lists - Holland, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, etc, have never ranked amongst the world's top countries.

And remember that of the 21 countries, the United States ranks 2oth, just one place above Britain. It's good old Anglo-Saxon economics.

The British have just never liked children, in my opinion. You should have lived here in the Victorian times when we sent them to work down the coal mines or put them into the workhouses. But it still didn't stop us dominating the globe.

By not caring for your children, is that why your country is infested with Chavs now? :naka:

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net

The British Empire hasn't left a mess in the world - the legacy of the British Empire is the world's richest countries - America, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Britain.
---------------------------------------------Blackleaf--------------------------------------------------------------

I'd add, Gibraltar, South Africa, Greater India (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh formerly E.Pakistan), Kenya, Uganda, TransJordan, Iraq, Kuwait, Singapore, Belize (Br Honduras),
Jamaica, et cetera et cetera, and a broadcasting network that is now known as
al Jazeera.

Don't let that detract from Blackleaf's point. Other colonial powers like France, Spain, Portugal left their colonies in far worse shape.

It's still about Failed State Theory.

Colonialism was an answer to that.
Now Global Free Trade is the answer.

All answers got problems.

Last edited:

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007

The British Empire hasn't left a mess in the world - the legacy of the British Empire is the world's richest countries: America, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Britain.

Just thank yourselves lucky that you weren't a full part of the French Empire, or else you'd be on a par with Niger or Algeria right now.

Or India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, or some of the Caribbean nations.Oh wait, those were British! We'll just ignore that lot, shall we:)

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
whitout being part of this name calling I will enter hahaha!!!

I've lived in England and ine think I had alway noticed was a heavy load seeming to travel with it's citizens. Maybe a carry over of the class system? dunno..Maybe it's a feeling of "I wall never get ahead" But seen it all over the country. It's in general an un-emotional place..with people holding in their thoughts and feelings..stiff upper lip types... I don't thing thats good for the human spirit

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Are you just plain stupid or do you have a reading and comprehension problem?

Read the title of the thread and see if you can work out how Britain came to occupy a place in my "tirade"...

oh that's right, insult me. I stated quite clearly about Britain's historically poor treatment of it's children and you Bbring up the British Empire....completely seperate. Whenever something bad happens in Britain an American always has to bring up the empire...well let's just get something strait......

it is NOT acceptable in a world like today to have an EMPIRE....but then it WAS......Those who had the power to do so had one and the ONLY reason the USA didnt was because until basically the end of the empire building it was too weak and had it's own troubles.....like driving the natives from their land to ahem...colonise it.

and let's get another thing strait...the US Constitution was initially created with WHIT Americans in mind...NOT foreigners black, white, yellow or Red involved...so one MUST assume that their direction......IF powerful enough....would have been the very same and they CERTAINLY would have trampled on any black, asian or foreigner in their way.

So please dont bring the Empire into this (although invading countries....which they do without Britain's help...is basically Empire building under the psuedo guise of "bringing democracy" lol.

Dont get me wrong, I like Americans...but dont bash my country on matters you know nothing about

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
whitout being part of this name calling I will enter hahaha!!!

I've lived in England and ine think I had alway noticed was a heavy load seeming to travel with it's citizens. Maybe a carry over of the class system? dunno..Maybe it's a feeling of "I wall never get ahead" But seen it all over the country. It's in general an un-emotional place..with people holding in their thoughts and feelings..stiff upper lip types... I don't thing thats good for the human spirit

you're very right. I think all the negatives in england (or most of them) come down to overpopulation

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Why do people mention the British Empire in threads that have got nothing whatsoever to do with the Empire?

Things like this give the impression in Britain that American and Canadians have some sort of inferiority complex regarding Britan.

It's never the British who bring it up - always Canadians or Americans.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Why do people mention the British Empire in threads that have got nothing whatsoever to do with the Empire?

Things like this give the impression in Britain that American and Canadians have some sort of inferiority complex regarding Britan.

It's never the British who bring it up - always Canadians or Americans.

it's like the middle east, the evil bush, and the monarchy. people lie in wait, hoping for something they can make a tenuous link to, and then pounce

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Looks like the folks who enjoy wielding the child card are playing at the table again. I wonder how 1960's Canada would measure up in their study. Kids with rotting teeth, not a one with braces, a culture of hand-me-downs and kids who couldn't understand cool because they couldn't afford it. Most of them with part-time jobs by the time they were 12. And yet if they weren't happier than today's fussed over puppet-heads, I'll be a monkey's uncle and probably am!

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I dunno, I wouldnt blame Canadians so much. I think the real lesson should come from India actually...you know...a country who really were treated like crap by us...as in tyranically (I dont mean the odd tax here and there for a war that needed paying)...they hold no malice towards us and dont bring it up into our faces every chance they could.

Answer is...India ghad already been an empire before we got there, so they're not really fussed about it. Unlike a lot of Americans who are in "Imperial Denial".

besides, you just have to read a chalres Dickens (you know, the man the US sent to jail) novel to realise how historically bad Britain treats it's kids...and it has nothing to do with a class system...America has an elitist class system too you know.