U.S. refuses to take Arar off watch list

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
The United States has not lifted its restrictions on Mahar Arar, even though the Canadian government apologized to him on Friday and offered him a $10.5 million compensation package.

More...

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
They refuse because they are again afraid of loosing face. Have you ever know the US admin. admitting they made a mistake!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Good to see Harper trying to be fair with the guy regarding the settlement.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's not any wonder the US Administration isn't admitting any mistakes. If they admit they were wrong with Arar, what will happen when people start asking tough questions about the prisoners at Guantanamo?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Unfortunetly, there is apparently quite a bit of dirt on the man, in posession of both the US and Canada, but none of it sticky enough to warrant an arrest. So the US is playing it safe, so be it. It is their air space, their law. If they tried telling us what to do, we couldn't get a word in edge with the anti US left elitests around here screaming their collective heads off.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Hey Bear

There's plenty of evidence that natives in this country are abusing everyone's rights as well...

What makes Maher Arar any more guilty of being a potential terrorist than the Mohawks at Oka, at Ipperwash, at Caledonia....

Oh I forgot...

Canadians are perfectly happy to aspire to the lowest common denominator when it comes to justice and fair-play...

You heard it here folks...Canadian Content....heart beat of the complacency and mediocrity so proudly embraced by Canadians...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hey Bear

There's plenty of evidence that natives in this country are abusing everyone's rights as well...

What makes Maher Arar any more guilty of being a potential terrorist than the Mohawks at Oka, at Ipperwash, at Caledonia....

Oh I forgot...

Canadians are perfectly happy to aspire to the lowest common denominator when it comes to justice and fair-play...

You heard it here folks...Canadian Content....heart beat of the complacency and mediocrity so proudly embraced by Canadians...
I think you missed the jist of my post.

The US is a soveriegn nation, who are we to tell them what to do, when if the roles were reversed, the left would gett heir nuts in a knot.

Besides that, I don't buy the whole Injun's actin' terrorists, arguement. There are no innocent parties invovled at Caledonia, other then most of the residents. The actions of the Six Nations, as stupid as they were, were a direct result of outside aggitators on both sides of the line. Perhaps when the government starts addressing the concerns and issues brought forth by the Native communities of Canada, instead of pointing fingures at each other, we will see less instances of civil unrest.

All that said, the Natives are not in it for the over throw of western civilization, nor do they plan attacks on wide reaching civilian populations. So your connection between the two is grossly misplaced. The First Nations only seek to disrupt peace, in order to draw attention to the issues, not destroy the nation. And that is that, only roads get dug up and old wood bridges burn, when the Injun's get restless. When the extreme Muslims get their collective knickers in a knot, many people die. Do I really have to post the death toll at the hands of Muslim extremists?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The US is a soveriegn nation, who are we to tell them what to do, when if the roles were reversed, the left would gett heir nuts in a knot.

That's the same thing I said in another thread on this same topic. Day must have had an extra bowl of Wheaties to think he could challenge the Americans on their own security decisions without getting a backhand to the face.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Nothing is what it seems Bear

Do you really think Syria would torture a prisoner because he was shipped to them by the U.S.?

How about... you need an agent to infiltrate the Jihadists cabal.. what better cover could you get than long-suffering in a Syrian prison at the hands of Jihadists who fully support the Moslem movement...

It's all bullshyte Bear....

You can believe what you want, but when it comes to Canada telling anyone anything...Canada is a joke to the world...and justly so...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
As much as it pains me to admit it, you are correct sir. Canada needs to get a grip on itself and start fixing the damage done over decades of sloth and waste.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The U.S. is unlikely to drop Arar off the watch list as long as he continues his lawsuit against the American government. Right or wrong, taking him off the list would almost be an admission of guilt.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The U.S. is unlikely to drop Arar off the watch list as long as he continues his lawsuit against the American government. Right or wrong, taking him off the list would almost be an admission of guilt.

That is exactly it, Juan.

Although I do believe the Yanks have every right in the world to keep out whomever they please.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Colpy

I would guess the U.S. record-keeping is far more extensive and involved than other nations have seen fit ... even though so many other nations have been hit by terrorists in the marketplace too.

The list also serves a duality of purpose in that they are keeping a close watch on drug smugglers, illegals and that kind of crowd.... their borders have never been very pristine to my knowledge....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I think you missed the jist of my post.

Besides that, I don't buy the whole Injun's actin' terrorists, arguement. There are no innocent parties invovled at Caledonia, other then most of the residents. The actions of the Six Nations, as stupid as they were, were a direct result of outside aggitators on both sides of the line. Perhaps when the government starts addressing the concerns and issues brought forth by the Native communities of Canada, instead of pointing fingures at each other, we will see less instances of civil unrest.

All that said, the Natives are not in it for the over throw of western civilization, nor do they plan attacks on wide reaching civilian populations. So your connection between the two is grossly misplaced. The First Nations only seek to disrupt peace, in order to draw attention to the issues, not destroy the nation. And that is that, only roads get dug up and old wood bridges burn, when the Injun's get restless. When the extreme Muslims get their collective knickers in a knot, many people die. Do I really have to post the death toll at the hands of Muslim extremists?

I'd like to see your Muslim extremists death toll number.:wave:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'd like to see your Muslim extremists death toll number.:wave:

9/11, last time I saw the numbers, 2752 dead from the attack. Does that answer your stupid question?

And their right wing apologists, too.
I'ld rather be a right wing apologist, then a supporter of the Arab nazi party, like you. Besides I'm not anywhere near being right wing, my political compass says, lol.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
This whole thing was frigged up ,why are we the only ones paying and so much ,not right not right ,couldnt be happy with us getting him back paying for all legalities ,come on this is setting us up for a million and one lawsuits ---I dont like it at all

I do believe some compenstion should be allowed but thats way to much

How much money did we pay to Steven truscott or David Milgard --?