5% of Canadians report 'medically unexplained' conditions

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
More than a million Canadians are dealing with conditions that cannot be identified by medical tests or physical exams, Statistics Canada said Friday.

More...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
More than a million Canadians are dealing with conditions that cannot be identified by medical tests or physical exams, Statistics Canada said Friday.

More...

nasty business these autoimmune diseases. the average healthy person should take a great interest in them, because they are on the rise, affecting more and more people. some of the theory i've read regarding them hypothesizes that people with fibromyalgia and chonic fatigue are 'coal mine canaries', and simply more sensitive to the effects of chemical overload, which are slowly building up and showing in more and more people.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
beware how you use the word "chemical" after all you're made of them. but we know what u mean.

possibly true. i dont deny it. All sorts of previously unusual diseases becoming more widespread.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
hahaha good point.

at the same time... ive worked for years in organic chemistry labs, coming up against some serious nasties... so far i'm ok but i know i'm at greater risk of cancer than you. I also know I have a lower than normal life expectancy too.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
beware how you use the word "chemical" after all you're made of them. but we know what u mean.

possibly true. i dont deny it. All sorts of previously unusual diseases becoming more widespread.

it's funny you point that out, because a lack of chemicals is another of the hypothesized causes (possibly brought on by a build up of unnatural ones). fibromyalgics for example are highly encouraged to eat large amounts of protein, especially those with naturally occuring tryptophan. tryptophan is a chemical precursor for the formation of serotonin, which was thought to be found in insufficient levels in most fibromyalgia patients.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
hahaha good point.

at the same time... ive worked for years in organic chemistry labs, coming up against some serious nasties... so far i'm ok but i know i'm at greater risk of cancer than you. I also know I have a lower than normal life expectancy too.
Ahem. I'm an ex-firefighter. At least you have an idea of what you've been around and/or inhaling.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
haha sorry didnt read that. Stoked up on caffeine and not paying attention to anything except the tippy tappy tiptap of my finger on the keyboard.

well the same wish goes to your successors and i hope u just continue to live\

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
hahaha good point.

Given your age, I'm willing to be that when you've been exposed to chemicals, the awareness has been there that they can be harmful, and safety precautions have been used. Take the men in my family as examples.... they work in various areas of the oilpatch, and have been exposed routinely to a host of nasty chemicals, both in the shops, and when pulling tools up from downhole, with no precautions take in terms of ventilation, protection from skin contact, etc. My hubby had been working, scrubbing clean tools in the varsol tank, for years before it became apparent how nasty standing over a tank full of the stuff and breathing it in constantly was. and that the gloves they use didn't do a good enough job of keeping it from splashing onto their clothes and skin continually. what I would give for his exposure to stuff like that to have been in a lab setting.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
fair enough, although i daresay he never came into contact with titanium (IV) chloride which explodes on contact with moist air, and catches fire in the syringe sometimes.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
fair enough, although i daresay he never came into contact with titanium (IV) chloride which explodes on contact with moist air, and catches fire in the syringe sometimes.

No... that he never has. scary stuff. You another thing that always freaked me out though? fireproof coveralls.... it seems to me wearing something day in and day out that i s drenched in fire retardent chemicals can't be all that good for you.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
hmm well not all chemicals are bad. and a lot of them are a lot better than catching fire

yeah, but, a lot of them leach out of the clothes so much that the coveralls are flammable anyway (yes, my hubby has lit himself on fire while working when it should not have been possible)... and where did all the fireretardent chemical go!? Yes, most of it to the laundry of course, but, it still makes one wonder.