Cabinet shuffle taps Baird for contentious environment file

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Prime Minister Stephen Harper overhauled his cabinet Thursday, including appointing John Baird to replace Rona Ambrose as environment minister.

More...

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
What qualifications does John Baird have to hold this position? Does he know anything about the environment? Did he go to university and take environmental studies? No. He has a BA in Political Studies. His greatest achievement was expanding Mike Harris' workfare plan, which was a failure, as was all that Mike Harris' party.
I think that officials who hold certain positions in government should be some sort of expert in that field. Why would someone with a BA in Political Studies become environment minister? Why not a scientist?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Apparently he became Minister of Energy when Premier Eves split the Environment/Energy portfolio.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I believe that he was put in the position because he is very forceful in his speech. Maybe with his shouting ,people will start to realize that Kyoto is a costly farce. As for having credentials to run the department,that has never been a requirement. Mnagement skills are transferable in most cases. I'm sure Mr. Dion or as I call him Mr Kyoto has many scientific degrees in the enviromental field.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Kyoto is better then what we have now, which is nothing. Look at the temperature in Ottawa! This is not right. People shouldn't be golfing in January! And before you give me that natural cycle crap, nearly all scientists agree that global warming is caused by greenhouse gas emissions. And the scientists who don’t are funded by oil companies, which I talked about in another thread.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Stephane Dion has degrees in Political Science, not Environmental Science. I will agree Wally, that degrees or training don't necessarily translate to political success in a specific field. Most politicians are lawyers, doctors, or business execs and serve in a wide range of political appointments.

Kyoto does have flaws, that doesn't mean we should scrap it, it means we should improve it. The Clean Air Act is also flawed, doesn't mean we can't build on it.

Harper is maintaining that these moves aren't politically motivated, I find that hard to take. Also, he's now increased the size of his government when he has campaigned on smaller governments.

Last edited:

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I agree on improving KYoto. How about if we don't meet the targets,we take the money that would have been sent to other countries and spend it in Canada on windmills or other enviromental endeavours?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Heh, well that kind of situation would be an improvement and ultimately move us towards those pledges anyways. I say more windmills, biomass, nuclear generation and personal solar panels. Did anyone hear that OPEC has now acknowledged that peak oil is near, apparently less than a decade, but that in all probability is their scare tactics to drive up the price. Also we now have an administration to the south which is muzzling their own scientists.

Anyways, I'd love to see Canada taking a lead role in the technology department. Then we sell our technology and expertise to others who need the light or maybe want to see the light.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Wont happen in Harpers government. Canada never seems to take the lead in anything. Right now Europe is leading the world in environmental technology. Canada would rather sell dirty coal to China.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Wont happen in Harpers government. Canada never seems to take the lead in anything. Right now Europe is leading the world in environmental technology. Canada would rather sell dirty coal to China.
Well.it certainly won't happen with a liberal gov't. They would rather give dirty MONEY to China and mo strong.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I agree on improving KYoto. How about if we don't meet the targets,we take the money that would have been sent to other countries and spend it in Canada on windmills or other enviromental endeavours?

and let the rest of the world suck our fumes without compensation while we find time away from counting our oil dollars to get our act together?

hardly seems fair. by the same token the global hajj to Fort McMurry is somewhat of an undue strain.

maybe we can pawn off some of the production load and talk them into double-or-nothing on the rest. or something. no need to tear it up just yet.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
sure he will

and Rocky will pull a rabbit out of his hat.

Baird will be on the campaign trail before he can read "ppb" without having to look it up let alone remember how to do logarithms well enough not to get snowed by the techies. Not that he won't do the task he's been assigned well in the meantime.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I missed that part of the movie. Is that in the new one where he has to fight the champion of today?

Rocky and Bullwinkle, man!

wtf? they got no culture left down there are at all? dang.