Convention rumours swirl over Liberal candidate pacts

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Rumours of a potential pact between two of the four top Liberal leadership candidates swirled on Thursday at the party's convention as news of a meeting between Gerard Kennedy and Stéphane Dion reached delegates.

More...

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Rumours of a potential pact between two of the four top Liberal leadership candidates swirled on Thursday at the party's convention as news of a meeting between Gerard Kennedy and Stéphane Dion reached delegates.

More...

I wonder who will win the votes of the Liberal membership? Should be interesting. Does anyone think Rae stands a chance?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If Bob Rae wins the Conservatives will be very happy. Ontario voters have a long memory and they will not soon forget the disaster that Rae brought that province during his term as premier. Any Canadian Prime minister needs solid support in Ontario....I don't think Rae will get it.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
The sad thing is, the two people who are best for the job - Dion and Kennedy (my personal pick) - have the toughest challenge in winning, as one of them won't even make it past the first ballot.

IMO, Ignatieff and Rae are just too polarizing of figures to capture the voters. I can honestly see a lot of voter spill-off in either direction, depending on who wins the leadership race. As an Ontarian and lifetime Liberal voter, I don't know if I could sink my vote into either one of them.

I really like Kennedy as a leader - I hope he stuns everyone and scores an upset. He's young, and he's really settled into the role of a federal politican. Those in Ontario really like him, he's got a real working man's pedigree and he's quickly picking up steam at this convention. The Trudeaus also seem quite fond of him.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ignatieff has spent the last thirty years in the states, and Rae is a fiscal disaster looking for some place to happen. Either Kennedy or Dion would be my choices as well.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I have to say, Liberal basher that I am notwithstanding, that I am surprized at the quality of the front-runners in the race.

I thing Ignatieff has blown a sure thing, and I'm glad, as he might have pulled support away from the CPC. But he blew it largely because he says what he thinks.....an admireable quality. And he is philosophically the closest to my position, slightly to the right of Attila the Hun.

I've always liked Bob Rae, and I think much of what happened in Ontario during his reign was beyond his control............but he and I agree on nothing.

Dion's the man. How can you help but like the guy? Once again, though, outside of the unity portfolio, he is WAY too left.

I really don't know much about kennedy......but he seems a good man.

For the CPC it is best Rae win, I believe. And I think he has the best chance.

But any of them are good, and I mean for the Liberal Party, not for the CPC.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Ken Dryden, is my personal favorite. I don't like Iggy or Rae, both could be the kiss of death for the Liberals.