Democracy Watch wants probe of Harper, Flaherty over income trust tax

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
A Canadian political watchdog group said Friday it has filed a complaint with the federal ethics commissioner over the Conservative government's plans to tax income trusts.

More...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Now this is just silly, and calls into question the impartiality of the organization.......

I'm not happy Harper broke a promise, but it was necessary..........I'm more upset that they didn't see this coming, that if corporations have a way to nix tax, they WILL take it, ALL of them.

I hope they are not taking Kim Campbell's view (and I don't think they are) that election campaigns are not the time to discuss policy.........

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
If we start investigating every broken promise made during elections, that commission will be very busy. I actually agree with Harper on this move. Something had to be done to level the playing field a little bit.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I wish all those in the Federal Goberment would get on with the process of running Canada as a Country not a Country Club. I'm sick off all the parties acting like my four year old twin nieces and believe me these girls are freaking holy terrors.

Ensign Redshirt

May 25, 2006
Northern Ontario
Where were these suck holes when the liberals were stealin' n dealin'???

They seem to be over-reaching here (lie detectors during election campaigns?), but you'd be stretching if you accuse this group of bias. They've been filing complaints against the Liberals for several years, mostly concerning ethics issues.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
They seem to be over-reaching here (lie detectors during election campaigns?), but you'd be stretching if you accuse this group of bias. They've been filing complaints against the Liberals for several years, mostly concerning ethics issues.
Ok, I stand corrected, thank you.

But I must ask then, why have I not heard of them before? Or perhaps I have and they just got marginalized by being in the news so much back when the liberal regime was corrupting Canada, that they just became part of the white noise in media.

I do not live under a rock, despite what some members think.

Ensign Redshirt

May 25, 2006
Northern Ontario
Ok, I stand corrected, thank you.

But I must ask then, why have I not heard of them before? Or perhaps I have and they just got marginalized by being in the news so much back when the liberal regime was corrupting Canada, that they just became part of the white noise in media.

I do not live under a rock, despite what some members think.

I've heard of them from time to time, but they were indeed "part of the chorus", especially during the last years of the Liberal government.

Naw, I don't think you live under a rock. I think it was you who suggested "going to the source" of news reports, so I checked Democracy Watch's website.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
A Canadian political watchdog group said Friday it has filed a complaint with the federal ethics commissioner over the Conservative government's plans to tax income trusts.

More...

After all, the TSE is down so much since Nov 1st.

What exactly was unethical about the gov't realizing that this tax scam had to be dealt with, even though they said they wouldn't? Once they knew Bell and even Encan were heading this way, they had no choice but to fix the loopholes. Every other civilzed country has done it already; if it came as a surprise to you, then you're still waiting for Chretien to eliminate the GST.