UN official calls for ban on cluster bombs

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Cluster bombs should be immediately banned because they maim and kill a disproportionate number of civilians, a senior United Nations official said Tuesday.

More...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I do not see banning them to be a tactically good idea. They are a weapon of mass importance and a useful moral killer on the opposing force.

I do realise that the potential for collateral damage is high, but that potential should not negate the value of these weapons for accomplishing their desired task.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
They probably won't give up land mines either. Cluster bombs and land mines are cheap to produce and they are effective. Depleted uranium is another filthy weapon that the big powers won't give up without a hell of a fight. The stuff goes through the best armour like it was cheese. All these weapons are crimes against humanity but they will be around for some time yet.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
They probably won't give up land mines either. Cluster bombs and land mines are cheap to produce and they are effective. Depleted uranium is another filthy weapon that the big powers won't give up without a hell of a fight. The stuff goes through the best armour like it was cheese. All these weapons are crimes against humanity but they will be around for some time yet.
Ahhh, land mines are totally different subject. Other then mapped and strategicly placed land mines. I can site examples of what I'm talking about if you wish. I do beleive the carpetting method should be outlawed, completely and made a war crime. There is no quick or efficiant way to remove them when dropped.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Unless you outlaw war people will suffer, no matter what WMD you use.
A noble thought, but where do we start, how do we get everyone in the same place at the same time and most importantly, how do we get everyone to listen?

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
I agree. With Landmines, they are a awful weapon, that even after conflicts take a serious toll on humans. Look at Africa.

As for Depleted Urianium....I agree Awful weapon, It effects generations after its time.

Cluster Bombs however....They are used on a target and kill when used and intended. Unlike Land Mines and Depleted Urianium.