Opposition must come clean with Canadians: PM

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Prime Minister Stephen Harper challenged the opposition to be up front with Canadians and tell them why it opposes his measures to get tough on crime and pass legislation to strengthen political accountability.

More...

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Here, here! I'd like to hear that too. I hope Opposition doesn't mean Opposition to the needs and welfare of Canadians!

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Once again Grandstand Steven goes out of his way to remind the majority Canadians he thinks they're gullable.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Once again Grandstand Steven goes out of his way to remind the majority Canadians he thinks they're gullable.
But Bit, if the opposition is trying to block the legitamate actions of the duely elected government, for the exprtessed purposes of just causing grief, is that not tnatamount to spitting in the electorates faces.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Its eleven bills, six of which are likely to get fast-tracked after review over the weekend by the opposition (Bloc and NDP) house leaders since they are based on work already done just need to be spot checked. The rest deserve the attention that is due to them and the reality of it is that takes time. That's FIVE acts of parliament that need to be reviewed by one committee. Harper's not the fricking Pharoah and shouldn't be expecting everything he writes on the back of a napkin to be treated like its scripture.

He's just posturing.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Its eleven bills, six of which are likely to get fast-tracked after review over the weekend by the opposition (Bloc and NDP) house leaders since they are based on work already done just need to be spot checked. The rest deserve the attention that is due to them and the reality of it is that takes time. That's FIVE acts of parliament that need to be reviewed by one committee. Harper's not the fricking Pharoah and shouldn't be expecting everything he writes on the back of a napkin to be treated like its scripture.

He's just posturing.
Steven posturing? Say it isn't so.

I won't try to act like I know something about Parlimentary dealings, because I don't. The only thing I remember from school was "Robertsons Rules" or something to that effect.

So I can only go by what I read in the paper, after filtering three different papers to get an unbiased view of the event,lol.

So are the opposition leaders stalling bills, that the common man/woman would liketo see enacted, like reforming some of the lax laws, and such. Or is oh so even Steve, really just making sound bites to boost his position in the polls.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well, those bills do sound good and all, I'm not sure how the proposed bills are worded, or what they plan to change. I really would like to see senate reform, I watched about 2 minutes on CPAC one day. There were these old men and women, asking questions as if they had no idea what the subject was even dealing with. Getting all hot and puffy. I was ashamed to have given two minutes up.

I don't swing for any party in particular. I really can't stand though when Harper seeks to place blame on the Liberals over and over and over again. It sounds juvenile to me, and reeks of the partisan American style of politics. The Liberals are guilty of this too, I guess I just don't here it as much as they were in power for so long, and didn't really have anyone to blame.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Canadians have complained about the juvenile practices of their reps in parliament for as long as I can remember. Watching some of the attack ads current in the US in the runup to midterms, one can see the problem isn't any different there. I don't know what the solution is. I've always felt being an MP should be a part-time position. Parliament shouldn't convene more than a few times a year. Legislation it passes shouldn't be open to constant revision thus necessitating the House perpetually resitting. If the House met less there'd be fewer reasons to be petty and more to be business-like. Worth a shot!

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Steven posturing? Say it isn't so.

I won't try to act like I know something about Parlimentary dealings, because I don't. The only thing I remember from school was "Robertsons Rules" or something to that effect.

So I can only go by what I read in the paper, after filtering three different papers to get an unbiased view of the event,lol.

So are the opposition leaders stalling bills, that the common man/woman would liketo see enacted, like reforming some of the lax laws, and such. Or is oh so even Steve, really just making sound bites to boost his position in the polls.

I don't know which act is which, but the idea of committees is they are SUPPOSED to take time since they are the forum for representitive interests to appear in parliament and make their case known. These things really DO take time.

The Senate complaint is rather misleading itself since the Conservative Senators themselves have some 50 amendments they want to introduce. Besides, I do think its responsible of them to wait on Kingsley's report on the Conservative policy convention tallies since it impacts directly on the significance of several parts of the new Act.

I kinda LIKE having the old farts poking around the hill. Keeps the whipper-snappers in line. Not that I can't be talked out of it but just like a good act of Parliament, there's no hurry.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't know which act is which, but the idea of committees is they are SUPPOSED to take time since they are the forum for representitive interests to appear in parliament and make their case known. These things really DO take time.

The Senate complaint is rather misleading itself since the Conservative Senators themselves have some 50 amendments they want to introduce. Besides, I do think its responsible of them to wait on Kingsley's report on the Conservative policy convention tallies since it impacts directly on the significance of several parts of the new Act.

I kinda LIKE having the old farts poking around the hill. Keeps the whipper-snappers in line. Not that I can't be talked out of it but just like a good act of Parliament, there's no hurry.
What are you trying to say? LOL

I guess perhaps it's the impatients of my generation that sees it as dilly dallying, but you have a point, all good things take time.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
Exactly, Harper's bills basically do nothing exact have snappy names that make people think oh they are doing something; with something like the Accountability Bill, you think so cool, someone doing something. Its not good at all and he just doesn't like the committees sorting it out to first be effective and then make sense.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
I think that the Liberal website puts it well:

Almost one third of the minority Conservative government’s legislative agenda – 11 of 34 bills – is focused on justice issues. This constitutes the single largest redrawing of Canada’s criminal code in a generation and deserves careful examination. It also presents an enormous challenge for the House Standing Committee on Justice, which is called upon to study these bills.

Regarding Paul Martin's minority government, two years ago Mr. Harper said:

It's not the responsibilty of official opposition to support the entire program of the government. Two thirds of Canadians did not vote for this government. The Liberal government can't expect to walk in and simply propose its own program that only one third of Canadians supported and expect everyone's going to vote for it.
http://www.cbc.ca/clips/mov/boag-gridlock061027.mov