Pope scolds Canada on gay marriage, abortion

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
The Pope is upset with Canada. Uh oh. He doesn't like our liberal ways of allowing equal rights to homosexuals, and he doesn't like the right for women to choose. Since Canadians dont elect the Pope he has no right to tell us what to do.
The Catholic Church should be scolded for turning a blind eye to the holocaust. What about the abuse natives Canadians suffered at the hands of perverted catholic priests. Abortion is a sin, but raping children isn't?
This Pope will send the Catholic Church back into the dark ages. Whats next, burning witches?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
The pope needs to shut the f up. I am so sick of the catholic church saying what's best for the family. Settle all your child molestation suits, then maybe I'll listen.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The Pope is just some guy elected to head some big corporation. Has nothing to do with me. He can say whatever he wants to, just like Paris Hilton. Maybe the two of them should meet, actually.

feronia

Time Out
Jul 19, 2006
This is coming from a man who lives with a bunch of other men that have nothing better to do than judge people who have a live because they don't have a life?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
The Catholic church was far from "turning a blind eye to the holocaust". Perhaps you should read the writings of Jewish leaders of the time, the Catholic church was considered by many to be their greatest ally in saving as many as they could.

What exactly did you expect the church to do? This isn't the 12th century it couldn't rally a crusade to the heart of protestant germany.

The pope is free to condemn all he likes. Freedom of speech means hearing things you don't like. Him speaking his religion doesn't mean we have to obey it anymore than if he said we had to wear our shoes on our heads and drive cars blindfolded.

feronia

Time Out
Jul 19, 2006
Re: RE: Pope scolds Canada on gay marriage, abortion

Zzarchov said:
The pope is free to condemn all he likes. Freedom of speech means hearing things you don't like. Him speaking his religion doesn't mean we have to obey it anymore than if he said we had to wear our shoes on our heads and drive cars blindfolded.

Exactly and gays in Canada have a right to live loving lives without listening to hypocrites.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
The Roman Catholic Church has been and remains the greatest plague upon mankind this planet has ever seen.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The big thing that bothers me

about the Catholic Church (I was raised Catholic)is that people with absolutely no experience raising families pass out gobs of wholesale advice to families that is garbage. I believe it was the last Pope Pius who said "birth control was denying the poor the right to be born". I can't think of anything more stupid when unbridled reproduction is the cause of a lot of poverty in the world.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
How about the position of the Catholic Church that denial of birth control (condoms) to the people of African nations reeling under the onslaught of the greatest pathogene to hit this century is the "godly" thing to do?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Zzarchov

Unfortunately far too many people do listen to what this dictator says. Too many people have been victims to the Catholic Church for too many decades to grant the Catholic Church or its spokesperson the latitude to ponficiate without challenge.

Hiding pedophiles and promoting homophobia aren't somehow the message that I believe any "god" would want spun by his earthly mouthpiece....

feronia

Time Out
Jul 19, 2006
MickeyDB I think the fact that the rolls of new priests are on the downslide is proof that that particular mouthpiece is on its way of being silenced if they don't start singing a new tune.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I suppose we'll have to settle for that Feronia but I'd like to visit the Inquisitors methodology of justice on the whole lot. At a minimum any authority abusing his/her power to molest children should be arrested and put on trial. Same goes for wanton disregard and abetting a criminal activity...see the Holy See.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
The Pope shouldn't tell Canadians what to do and neither should the Canadian government. Canadians are mature and educated enough to make decisions on their own. If they want capital punishment they should have it. If they want gay marriage to be an act of civil union that's the way it should be. At the moment special interests are largely in charge here. Democracy it ain't.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Tamarain

Well said my friend, but Canadians haven't experienced a real democracy for years. The great NAFTA deal that the U.S. can ignore anytime it's interests aren't served, the gouging that's going on at the gas pumps while Imperial Oil posts the largest profits EVER...the list goes on and on..

We live in a nation that is ruled by the wealthy for the wealthy and any silly notions that anyone may have about democracy are cosswollop.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
'Tis true. And it's another reason why the kids shouldn't be in Afghanistan. Clearly the mission is about standing up against terrorism but it's also about standing up for the western way of life. Canada is a crappy democracy. No Canadian kid should be fighting on behalf of a nation that respects his franchise so little.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
It is the "western way of life" that's responsible for the agony of Afghanistan, the global warming thats finally been acknowledged by the Bush stooges and a whole list of very dark consequences for people from nations around the world.

It's the western way of life that implants expectations as entitlements and coerces compliance to a consumerist ethos that's choking the world to death.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
The western way of life is muddled indeed and so are most other, if not all, cultural arenas. The world's major problem isn't cultural, it's demographic. There are way too many of us and western societies especially - and unbelievably - are coaxing as many of us as possible to live to old age. It's profoundly warped.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
But I'd disagree with that analysis Tamarin...

The self-destructiveness demanded by paving over farmland so you can whisk the family off to the latest fun-park or amusement ride coupled with an appetite cultivated by big business to consume without reflection requires sweatshops and ever-expanding landfil sites.

Misuse of earths natural resources and the imprudence of global wars that have seeded dioxins and pathogens across the planet wouldn't have happened if the evolution of humankind included some degree of maturation that kept pace with his infantile fascination with technology. We're killing ourselves when if we'd acted with forethought and exercised some quality long-range thinking, we wouldn't be facing the forced extinction of species we do today. This planet can support the people that are here, what it can't support is the exhaustion of billions upon billions of calories of energy that using up petroleum reseves has begun.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
We've been conditioned to expect (with immediacy) the easiest the fastest, the biggest the most of everything without paying any attention to the consequences that must befall the remaining occupants in this little lifeboat whirling through space.

Hurricanes and tornados will get worse and flooding will take even more land away that could have been used for food production. While we decimate forests to produce paper to wipe our asses after we've shit in our water supply, we wonder how all this unfolding tragedy came about.

Look in the mirror.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
"We're killing ourselves when if we'd acted with forethought and exercised some quality long-range thinking, we wouldn't be facing the forced extinction of species we do today."

And that's the rub. Any 'quality long-range thinking' would quickly concur human overpopulation is the problem. And yet, because we've carefully woven human rights protections into all credible world covenants we cannot take the action that's startlingly obvious.