EU wants to rename Bombay mix.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
EU to rename Bombay mix, the nutty, spicy Indian snack that is popular in Britain.

Nutty ... spicy snack 'could cause offence'

By TONY BONNICI

NUTTY EU officials want to rename Bombay mix MUMBAI mix — to make the snack politically correct.

They say the Indian city of Bombay has been called Mumbai since 1995 so the old name could offend because it dates back to colonial rule.

A source said: “The EU is considering revising the labelling of Bombay mix because Mumbai has been in the news a lot recently and people in Europe now realise that Mumbai is the new name for Bombay.”

Fans of the spicy treat — made of dried Indian noodles, chickpeas, lentils and peanuts — gave the plan a roasting last night.

Newsagent Khalid Ahmed, from Canterbury, Kent, said: “This is crazy. Everybody knows it as Bombay mix. It would be such a waste of time and money when everyone knows what Bombay mix is — and nobody is offended by the name.”

The snack is a huge seller in Britain and accounts for three per cent of the UK’s £540million-a-year snack market.

Shadow Europe Minister Graham Brady also condemned the move.

He said: “It is exactly the kind of ludicrous regulation that gives Brussels such a bad name and gets in the way of successful business.”

EU officials have even tried to ban the sale of BENT bananas and cucumbers in the past.

They are expected to rule on Bombay mix by the end of the year.

What else might change

Persian rug — becomes Iranian rug

Siamese twins — Thai twins

Bombay potatoes —Mumbai potatoes

Chicken Madras — Chicken Chennai

Peking duck — Beijing duck

Lancashire hotpot — Greater Manchester hotpot (the county of Greater Manchester was once a part of Lancashire

Ceylon tea — Sri Lanka tea

Black Hole of Calcutta — Hole of Kolkata

thesun.co.uk

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: EU wants to rename Bo

Due to the fact that.

Bombay, Calcutta, Ceylon, Madras, Persia etc DO NOT EXIST ANYMORE

Trust me, I've been to Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai, these are their names now, and unlike most other EU rulings, I completely agree with them, it would be ignorant to NOT re-name them, then again.....it's ignorant to call that shyte they eat in England "indian" food....curry yes because it does NOT exist in India, but however poor they are in india, they wouldnt feed that rubbish English ppl eat to their pets.

Now, I think the EU should perform an investigation into the production of Curries in the UK, but I do believe it's perfectly acceptable of the EU, times and names change's from now on I'm D'Airelle and not Daz.....cheers :)

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
If I might offer a suggestion for the new name, I would suggest that this product be called: Bombazzled.

That's right, Bombazzled. For those that aren't exactly dazzled by the crap bombs this whole controversy is generating. I mean, who really cares what the product is called? Call it shit in a bag for all I care.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I still think shyte sums up everything in this thread

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
Re: RE: EU wants to rename Bo

Daz_Hockey said:
Due to the fact that.

Bombay, Calcutta, Ceylon, Madras, Persia etc DO NOT EXIST ANYMORE

Trust me, I've been to Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai, these are their names now, and unlike most other EU rulings, I completely agree with them, it would be ignorant to NOT re-name them, then again.....it's ignorant to call that shyte they eat in England "indian" food....curry yes because it does NOT exist in India, but however poor they are in india, they wouldnt feed that rubbish English ppl eat to their pets.

Now, I think the EU should perform an investigation into the production of Curries in the UK, but I do believe it's perfectly acceptable of the EU, times and names change's from now on I'm D'Airelle and not Daz.....cheers :)

Who cares if those cities do not exist anymore? It is Great Britain. They are free to name their products any way they desire. Great Britain is not India. Never forget it. I would not propose to have Indians telling the British what they may or may not do within the confines of their own homelands. If any Indians living in Britain were to complain one need only point at London's airport, then wave 'bye-bye' to that Indian in question. There's the door. Get out. Don't let the door hit you where your God split you and all that jazz.

I have also thought of Indian cities as Calcutta, Bombay, New Delhi etc. Sri Lanka to me shall always be Ceylon. The rest of the world may kiss my ass. I am not giving up my British heritage just to appease the social-liberals.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

only trying to gage a reaction from Blackleaf, saint lightbearer my man

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006

Daz_Hockey said:
only trying to gage a reaction from Blackleaf, saint lightbearer my man

Fair enough. That would be 'gauge' by the way. Do you share a certain individual's penchant for claiming to have a university degree yet cannot spell a word as simple as 'gauge'?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I have an honours degree yes, but not in spelling, it's more math's/Engineering based, plus, I'm sure I mentioned before that my random rantings have little or no reflection on my academic abilities

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
Re: RE: EU wants to rename Bombay mix.

fuflans said:
I know Indians in Canada who are still pissed off that the city changed its name. :)

I honestly do not care how the Indians feel. I care only for my own people. The others may rot.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006

Daz_Hockey said:
I have an honours degree yes, but not in spelling, it's more math's/Engineering based, plus, I'm sure I mentioned before that my random rantings have little or no reflection on my academic abilities

Engineering requires excellent English and you know it. Please lie elsewhere.

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa

SaintLucifer said:
fuflans said:
I know Indians in Canada who are still pissed off that the city changed its name. :)

I honestly do not care how the Indians feel. I care only for my own people. The others may rot.

What?

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006

fuflans said:
SaintLucifer said:
fuflans said:

What?

You have difficulty with the English language do you? If so I would suggest you remove that flag you have up there.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

Fuflans, Mumbai is a Hindustani name, as opposed to a Portuguese one "bom bay" meaning "good bay", why should they not change their nme to something more "homegrown"?.

Also, Lucifer, please do not call me a liar, I am a 2005 Honours degree graduate in Business Information Systems, now if you do not believe me, that's fine, I recieved the "Coral outstanding achivement award" as well as a 2:1, my university's web address is:

www.solent.ac.uk

my head course leader was Jennifer Muskett (you'll find her web address on the website if you need clarification of my award) and if I had a scanner to hand I would gladly scan you off a copy of my degree, otherwise, please do not call me a liar.

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa
Daz_Hockey, I'm not 100 % sure of the details, but from what I gather, the city government that changed the name was composed of people who were of the same ethnic background of the original inhabitants of the area. The name was supposed to be reflective of these original inhabitants, but the city itself was founded by the Portuguese in the 16th century (who gave it its name, as you mentioned).

Another problem is that apparently a large percentage of the population of the city (my contacts included) do not have the same ethnic background as the original inhabitants of the area. They say that the government had many discriminating policies against these different ethnic groups and they feel that the name change was just another divisive policy.

I've no idea how much of that is true, though :)

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

well.......from the three weeks I spent in Mumbai, I can tell you that yes, there are several differing names such as Bombai, Bombain and of course Bombay, but the problem I have with that arguement is this:

there are actually about 6 million homeless in Mumbai and to be frank if you go there, see how the people live, you would come to one of two conclusions about your canadian indian contacts....either 1. well done them for getting out of that hell hole or 2. theyre rich compared to them, why the hell should I listen to them?...I take the second view.

And actually, yes most indians still call it Bombay (for example my hotel was next to Bombay Hospital), but you must realise that (ok, Bombay was 3 seperate islands with very small fishing activities on each) without colonialisation it would be a virtual nothing.....but it is still a remnant of colonialism, it's their country, most are Hindustani from the Mhatarashti provence (apart from the one's trying to seek their fame in Bollywood) and the name refers to their hindusthani elephant goddess...probably due to Elephant Island.

I'm an old colonial, but I realise it's up to them, they'll probably always call it Bombay, like they still call their train station Victoria Terminal (or VeeTee), but it's up to them, not essentially foreigners living abroad.

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa
Most of them came to Canada in the last five years, so they lived in the city when the name change occurred. The name was definitely a reminder of colonialism, which seems like a legitimate reason for changing the name. I'm curious if their complaints - the charges of discriminatory policies against the non-Mhatarashtis (is that the term?) and the name change being a divisive policy - have any merit. I gather it was a strongly 'nationalist' (or whatever you want to call it) party that changed the name.

I'm sure that I'm not getting the whole story from them, either.

Edit: and keep being an 'old colonial' - as long as you don't take it to Blackleaf's level :wink:

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

well, the thing you have to realise about a LOT of indians are that they tend to be VERY racist about other people from other parts of india, for example if you ar from Mumbai and try to buy a meal in say...Chennai, the shop staff wil server the people from Chennai first, then give you a dirty look and perhaps...maybe serve you.

Worst is actually people from Goa (which actually comes under the duristriction of Mumbai, even though it's a 14 HOUR!!! train journey away..trust me I did it...cockroaches n'all), they're mainly christians and will NOT serve any Indian if white people or other foreigners are about...it's endemic in India, perhaps your contacts have more of a problem with the indians living in Mumbai or the original dwellers there, as I say, tribe-to-tribe problems are the backbone of historical problems in india and their reasoning may indeed be racial...but it's certainly only one side.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006

Daz_Hockey said:
well.......from the three weeks I spent in Mumbai, I can tell you that yes, there are several differing names such as Bombai, Bombain and of course Bombay, but the problem I have with that arguement is this:

there are actually about 6 million homeless in Mumbai and to be frank if you go there, see how the people live, you would come to one of two conclusions about your canadian indian contacts....either 1. well done them for getting out of that hell hole or 2. theyre rich compared to them, why the hell should I listen to them?...I take the second view.

And actually, yes most indians still call it Bombay (for example my hotel was next to Bombay Hospital), but you must realise that (ok, Bombay was 3 seperate islands with very small fishing activities on each) without colonialisation it would be a virtual nothing.....but it is still a remnant of colonialism, it's their country, most are Hindustani from the Mhatarashti provence (apart from the one's trying to seek their fame in Bollywood) and the name refers to their hindusthani elephant goddess...probably due to Elephant Island.

I'm an old colonial, but I realise it's up to them, they'll probably always call it Bombay, like they still call their train station Victoria Terminal (or VeeTee), but it's up to them, not essentially foreigners living abroad.

This thread has to do with the EU demanding the name of the mix be changed, not India. That country has absolutely nothing to do with the brouhaha that has sprung out of this entire incident. Britain and her companies will do whatever they wish and no EU or even INDIA may or may not tell them how they will operate.

I do find it interesting that many people forget a large majority of India's infrastructure was built by the British. Why no mention of this?