Nation may lose £3.5m Shakespeare first edition

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Sunday Times July 09, 2006

Nation may lose £3.5m Shakespeare first edition
Richard Brooks, Arts Editor

A RARE first edition of Shakespeare’s complete plays is expected to sell for more than £3.5m at auction this week but could end up leaving Britain.

The compendium of 36 plays is being sold at Sotheby’s by Dr Williams’s Library in central London to raise funds to secure its future.

Few potential buyers in Britain are likely to be able to afford the book, printed in 1623 and one of the most complete copies of the first folio still in existence. Sotheby’s, the auctioneer, expects it to sell for between £3.5m and £5m.

“The frontrunners are the Japanese,” said Jonathan Bate, professor of Shakespeare studies at Warwick University. “Maybe an institution there or possibly an individual. But there’s really nobody who can afford it in Britain.”

Although 750 copies of the folio were originally printed in 1623, seven years after Shakespeare’s death, only about 220 survive and many of them are incomplete.

Eighteen of the plays in the folio had never before been printed. They include Macbeth, Twelfth Night, Antony and Cleopatra, The Tempest, and As You Like It.

Shakespeare himself never authorised the publication or printing of any of his plays. They were sold by the playwright to his acting company, the Lord Chamberlain’s Men, later called the King’s Men, who then released them.

The number of first folios in Britain is fewer than 30. The British Library has five and the Bodleian Library in Oxford has one. Others are owned by the Royal Shakespeare Company, the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust and the family of the late Sir John Paul Getty. He bought it in 2003 from Oriel College, Oxford, for £3.5m just six weeks before his death. The billionaire Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, is also a recent buyer of a first folio.

Several folios contain handwritten comments by readers. “They tell us what people knew about Shakespeare and his reputation at the time,” said Kate McLuskie, director of the Shakespeare Institute.

The folio on sale this week retains its mid-17th-century binding of plain brown calf-skin. It is even more important because of its extensive markings and annotations by readers of the era. “The markings and the selection of the text that they signal are a major addition to this first folio,” said Peter Beal, an expert in English manuscripts.

Dr Williams’s Library, the leading research library for English Protestant dissent, has owned the first folio from at least 1716, the longest uninterrupted library ownership of any surviving example.

The Rev Dr Daniel Williams, a Protestant dissenting minister, bought the book as part of the library of Dr William Bates, another nonconformist cleric, for £500.

Dr Bates’s interest in the folio may have been influenced by the Puritan regime’s ban on all stage performances from 1642 until the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660, a unique occurrence in the theatre.

The last comparable first folio was sold by Christie’s in New York in 2001 for a hammer price of $5.6m, about £3m at current exchange rates.

timesonline.co.uk

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Finder said:
Capitalism is bitter sweat. Sweat when you profit or your nation does, like removing eygption and Greek ancient history but bitter when you lose your own.

never was there a more blaitent but vailed reference to the ill's of the british empire lol

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Finder said:
history bites.

Anyhow I personally believe (yeah I know whatever), that something like this should be a national treasure for the UK.

The British Museum is full of other nations treasures, and I assure you, they weren't a gift.

I'd call it poetic justice, or as Shakespeare said, "Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow"

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I think not said:
Finder said:
history bites.

Anyhow I personally believe (yeah I know whatever), that something like this should be a national treasure for the UK.

The British Museum is full of other nations treasures, and I assure you, they weren't a gift.

I'd call it poetic justice, or as Shakespeare said, "Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow"

Thats what I was eluding too in my first post ITN, but thanks for pointing it out. But with saying that, an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind as the saying goes. Losing history really bites and that goes for anyone be it Greek or British. How can you really put a price on something this historic and widly read?

It would be like someone selling the American Liberty bell! Our the decleration of indp

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
That'll never happen, we don't have thousands of years of history, but the little that we have, we cherish.

Actually, I'm quite shocked the Brits are even allowing something like this to happen.

And forgive me for being blunt, but I have been to the British Museum and have seen what treasures are there, it's amazing they call it the "British" museum, the only thing "British" in there is the smugness. A "token" compensation was never even on their radar screen, they stole everything.

And fine, history is history, you cannot possibly condemn a people for prior generation fuckups, what's the excuse today? They actually think they've earned it?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Nation may lose £3.5m

Have any of you actually been to any of the free Museum's in Washington?. I have, and I'm pretty sure a fair bit of that wasn't originally from the US, or bought from other countries...but in fact simply "removed".

Take the National Museum of art in DC, it's got originals of Romulous and Remus sucking at a wolf's teet coming from Italy circa 1943....now your not telling me THAT wasnt liberated too?.

All I'm saying is we all do it, every country in the world, and actually, for example, the US Army "liberated" lots of Art from the Nazi's who inturn "liberated" it from the jews and so on and so on.....doesnt make it right, but it just shows everyone does it.

If Britain loses this Shakespeare it will be no-one's fault but Britain, and if you look at the context for which half the antiques in most of the worlds museums come from it's basically the same.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Yes I have, I have also been to the Met and other museums that have treasures from other countries. But again, as usual, you missed the point. Under the British Empire it was encouraged to "relocate" artifacts under the guise of "protecting them from "incapable" populations, I hope the racism didn't go over your head, or was that British smugness?

Looters have sold artifacts all over the world, nobody is denying this, and the museums buy it, but, perhaps the tide has turned? I wonder what the British Museum has to say?

Here's an article I think you will find interesting.

Met to Return Disputed Art to Italy

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Finder said:
Capitalism is bitter sweat. Sweat when you profit or your nation does, like removing eygption and Greek ancient history but bitter when you lose your own.

Also my first reaction. Next thing you know the Brits will be complaining about immigrants not integrating into the British culture...unlike all those English who governed India, all learned Hindi, had theirwives wear Saris, converted to Hindu , became vegetarians and gave up cricket, polo and other English culture :wink: :wink: my. oh, my...all those 'foreigners' come to England and have the nerve to be more Indian than English. :wink:

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

indeed, but seriously?..."british smugness"?, while in a hostel in NY, me and a few Aussie mates were sat down listerning to a teacher explain to his pupil's about "the british", Dan, and Aussie politely pointed out to him "British?, whats that then?, English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish?"...and he replied "oh well, british, it's all the same to use".....lovely, the aussies wernt impressed.

My point is that, that is also smugness, american smugness and ignorance coming from an american English teacher....works both ways see.

But I agree, the british empire did take artifacts from the people they believed were incapable of protecting them, but so did the french and americans in their day, how about all the Egyption stuff in the Louve?.....Once again, if the orginal country it belonged to requested it back, sure Britain or whoever else should give it back, without question.

All I am saying is that 1. Britain wasnt the only government sponsored looters. 2. It goes back to the old arguement of what was acceptable then and what is now.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
athabaska said:
Finder said:

Also my first reaction. Next thing you know the Brits will be complaining about immigrants not integrating into the British culture...unlike all those English who governed India, all learned Hindi, had theirwives wear Saris, converted to Hindu , became vegetarians and gave up cricket, polo and other English culture :wink: :wink: my. oh, my...all those 'foreigners' come to England and have the nerve to be more Indian than English. :wink:

I will treat that with the contempt it deserves, Britain has never suggested removing it's ethnic minorities like certain other coutries, Britain is actually one of the softest most PC nations on the planet, were the 9/11 bombers all born in the US? NO, Britain ALLOWED them to preach their Hatred and it was that hatred that killed a friend of mine so please keep your pissin stupid ideas of british non-integration to yourself.

Britain is an integrated society...not a melting pot

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa
I think not said:
And forgive me for being blunt, but I have been to the British Museum and have seen what treasures are there, it's amazing they call it the "British" museum, the only thing "British" in there is the smugness. A "token" compensation was never even on their radar screen, they stole everything

It's too bad that most people only associate the British Museum with its the Greek/Roman/Egyptian etc. collections. Their 'British' (or whatever you want to call it) collection is also very large and impressive. Maybe not as interesting to the average tourist, though.

Having said that, you're of course correct that the way many of the world's museums acquired their prize artifacts was 'shady' to say the least.

If you're interested in the Met scandal, you should read The Medici Conspiracy by Peter Watson and Cecilia Todeschini.

By the way, once I achieve my career goal of becoming an eccentric millionaire, buying a Shakespeare folio is on my list of things to do (along with buying all the tea in China and challenging somebody to a race around the world in old time-y hot air balloons)

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
fuflans said:
It's too bad that most people only associate the British Museum with its the Greek/Roman/Egyptian etc. collections. Their 'British' (or whatever you want to call it) collection is also very large and impressive. Maybe not as interesting to the average tourist, though.

Well I stand guilty as charged on that, I really found nothing interesting in the British section, although believe it or not I found the museum of Tea and Coffee intersting lol.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

indeed, I still think were more integrated or rather more PC than most of north america too. But as I say, I dont know how activly these museums should seek to return the objects of questionable origins, but if asked they should certainly return them.

Sorry that was a sore point with me, it being 3 days since the year anniversary of my friend's death in London, and to suggest that indians or asians are not welcome or allowed to keep their culture in england or britain is wrong, you've been there, it's sometimes more like Mumbai in places than say london

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Nation may lose £3.5m

Daz_Hockey said:
indeed, but seriously?..."british smugness"?, while in a hostel in NY, me and a few Aussie mates were sat down listerning to a teacher explain to his pupil's about "the british", Dan, and Aussie politely pointed out to him "British?, whats that then?, English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish?"...and he replied "oh well, british, it's all the same to use".....lovely, the aussies wernt impressed.

My point is that, that is also smugness, american smugness and ignorance coming from an american English teacher....works both ways see.

But I agree, the british empire did take artifacts from the people they believed were incapable of protecting them, but so did the french and americans in their day, how about all the Egyption stuff in the Louve?.....Once again, if the orginal country it belonged to requested it back, sure Britain or whoever else should give it back, without question.

All I am saying is that 1. Britain wasnt the only government sponsored looters. 2. It goes back to the old arguement of what was acceptable then and what is now.

Daz I know you hate the word Brits, but lets face it, you weren't called the British Empire for nothing, and I only speak in terms of history, no slant intended on todays people in Britain.

Just dump you monarchy

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I found the Wellsley paintings next to Napoleon Bonaparte in the national art gallery in DC rather funny........Bonney or th iron duke would turn in their graves

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
I liked the Maritime Museum. Especially the part of how th British travelled around the world and were 'welcomed' by the various heathens who were eager to be dominated and enslaved for their own good via White man's burden.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

yeah cus britain was the worst at that one, perhaps you should ask an american soldier who served in Vietnam if they could eleborate on all the french guiloteans found in use until the mid '60's.

Every country was the same in that age, some were much worse, some were a little better, but frankly the British were one of the "better" one's...ask the Algeria or perhaps french indo china