Kid responsible for Adult's carelessness??

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
From CBC news this am
Boy, 8, may face homicide charge in bus tragedy
Last Updated Tue, 23 May 2006 07:28:52 EDT
CBC News

An eight-year-old boy from Brooklyn could be charged with criminally negligent homicide after allegedly causing a school bus accident that killed a young girl, police in New York said Tuesday.

Police said the boy and a companion snuck aboard the empty bus, which was parked in the Crown Heights area, while the driver took a break after a school trip, through an emergency exit at the back.

One of the boys released the emergency brake and the bus surged forward.

The vehicle struck second-grade student Amber Sadiq as she walked home from school with her older brother.

Witnesses said she tried to run out of its way but a large garbage can barred her escape.

There were conflicting reports about the girl's age.

Officer Doris Garcia said a charge of criminally negligent homicide may be laid against the unnamed boy.

This is insanity. I would say charges should be laid against the driver, and the bus company for leaving the potentially dangerous bus unattended. If the bus had been locked, the accident wouldn't have happened.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Classmates were clearly shaken by this. We just checked with the NYPD and still no charges have been placed against the nine-year-old boy and police say they will not charge the school bus driver. He did nothing wrong, they say. He wasn't here. He was on a break.

The driver was on a break. Maybe he should have secured the bus before he left.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The bus was a "School Bus", the driver was a "school bus driver". It is not as if kids hadn't snuck on board before. The bus was parked on a grade. It should have been in gear and the wheels chocked. That's just my opinion.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Interesting case.

What would happen if it was my car and I left to get something and the keys were in it and someone got in it and killed someone with it etc....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Apparently, they are no longer

thinking of charging the kid. I can't help thinking Jay, that if a private citizen left his vehicle in a state where it could be released by a kid to go down hill and that vehicle killed someone, the owner would likely be charged with negligence at the very least.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It's a sad state when normal has become to not expect others to follow laws and respect others property. Being punished because these kids felt it was ok to break and enter then release the brake! Who didn't do their job here, the driver or the boy's parents? Whatever happened to being responsible for your kid's actions? How did we get to blaming victims of crime for not protecting themselves?

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
Re: RE: Kid responsible for Adult's carelessness??

Jay said:
Interesting case.

What would happen if it was my car and I left to get something and the keys were in it and someone got in it and killed someone with it etc....

The friend of mine got ticket for leaving his car's engine running while he was paying for his fast food.
Be careful! :wink:

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
I blame 100% the driver and school bus's company.

You may teach your kids to be responsible, but kids are kids. They want to play. In your house you hide the knife, right? If your kid puts a metal into the switch, you have to put you swith higher on the wall, or block it.

If the bus was surged, which means it was on kind of hill? Whenever you park your car on the hill, you make sure that the wheel is turned on the right or left depending on the position of your car on the hill. Why would you do that? Because if brakes release, your car must stop by touching the sidewalk. It is less danger then if your car went all the way down the hill.

Why didn't driver make sure that in case of release of brakes, which can happen without someone touching it, the bus didn't have to move or go far?

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba

dekhqonbacha said:

You may teach your kids to be responsible, but kids are kids. They want to play. In your house you hide the knife, right? If your kid puts a metal into the switch, you have to put you swith higher on the wall, or block it.

If the bus was surged, which means it was on kind of hill? Whenever you park your car on the hill, you make sure that the wheel is turned on the right or left depending on the position of your car on the hill. Why would you do that? Because if brakes release, your car must stop by touching the sidewalk. It is less danger then if your car went all the way down the hill.

Why didn't driver make sure that in case of release of brakes, which can happen without someone touching it, the bus didn't have to move or go far?

B*llsh*t! Instead of teaching your child to not touch the knives you just hide them? What happens when he's not at your house? Do you go over to his friends house first and hide their knives, and forks, and all manner of pointy things. Kids are a direct product of their upbringing. Kids only know what their parents teach them. Sure there's all that crap on TV but even then the decision to emulate or not is a decision based on what you've taught them.
As for the brakes releasing it takes a human hand to release them. Sure there are a number of things the driver could have done different but those boys could have also decided to NOT sneak onto that bus and release the brake

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My opinion, in brief:

If the driver took steps to ensure that the bus was secure, then he should not be charged with anything, and should quite appropriately be exonerated from responsibility in this matter. The child who released the emergency brake is at fault in this situation (even moreso if he indeed snuck¹ into the bus, which might be a charge in and of itself), and should be deemed responsible for whatever happened as a result.

:!: Revision : (1) Corrected a typing error.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
I remember the story. A man was sleeping in his car near the shore. And he disappeared. His car and himself was found in the river.

He is mature did he release his brakes?
nope, when you are sleeping you cannot release hand brake. It's too hard. With the technical problems everything happens.

Planes crash small technical problem. There are lots of example of technical failure. The driver had to make sure that in cas of release of brakes, wether manually or technically the bus didn't have to move, or to go just a little and stop.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006

Lineman said:
dekhqonbacha said:

B*llsh*t! Instead of teaching your child to not touch the knives you just hide them? What happens when he's not at your house? Do you go over to his friends house first and hide their knives, and forks, and all manner of pointy things. Kids are a direct product of their upbringing. Kids only know what their parents teach them. Sure there's all that crap on TV but even then the decision to emulate or not is a decision based on what you've taught them.
As for the brakes releasing it takes a human hand to release them. Sure there are a number of things the driver could have done different but those boys could have also decided to NOT sneak onto that bus and release the brake

You cannot blambe the kid. You can teach him to be responsible. But kids are kids. They want to play. They have no idea about crime, etc. They're just enjoying their life.

Some of them are really corious.

I was grown up in very disciplined and responsible family. Why this didn't prevent me from stealing the some chemical stuff from labaratory and pass my own test and get hurt. It was the coriosity to blame and teacher as well. He kept closed the door of labaratory after the incident. Why he didn't do it before? Because he was, as an adult, irresponsible.

You teach the kids everything possible. But still you have to make sure they are safe. On every chemical bottle you got in your house, it says "keep out of reach of children".

There're some kids, not all of them, who are corious and try to swollow the liquid from the bottle. Even if you tell them that it's poisinous.

If this happens who is to blame, yourself? or your kid?
Of course a mature, responsible adult is careless.

Silver_Road

May 23, 2006
Scarberia
Oddly, this reminds me of a South Park episode I just watched last night. Ms. Crabtree, the bus driver, was stranded w/ the children on the bus, and she had to consult a bus driver's manual to figure out what to do. This made me think, what if it wasn't a school bus? What if those two kids go into their parent's car and did the same thing? Is it the parent's fault for not locking their car or not teaching their kids to play around where they shouldn't be?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This is getting ridiculous

I didn't say the kid wasn't in any way at fault. British common law says that if you own something dangerous, you have a duty to keep it from harming outhers. The bus fits nicely into this catagory. The bus company, or the school, owned the bus. The victim here, is the little girl who was killed. Most kids this age are responsible enough not to screw around with the controls of a parked bus. Being that it was a "school bus", and accepting the fact that all kids are not responsible, the "school bus driver" should have made damn sure the bus was secure, even to the point of chocking the wheels. He didn't, and a little girl is dead. I would say the adults here deserve most of the blame.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I cannot agree with you, #juan.

If the child indeed snuck into the bus, and he used an emergency exit to get access to that bus, then there was nothing that the driver could have done to stop his entry. Yes, he may have been "in charge" of the bus — however, charges should not be made against him. The child made a conscious effort to sneak into a bus, and to tamper with its controls. That's the child's fault, not the bus driver's.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sorry Five, I don't see it that way.

Emergency exits are openable because that is what makes them usefull. When I was a kid, I went to school on a bus. I remember some of us using the emergency exits to get on the bus early. Believe it or not, school buses have not changed much in that time. I don't believe this kid was the only one who knew how to get on the bus through the emergency exit. It's like anything else. After an accident, precautions will be doubled and we will be extra cautious for a time but gradually, human nature being what it is, we will eventually slack off until the next accident.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
FiveParadox
bus driver had to make sure that the bus was unmovable. I don't have any idea about braking system of school buses. I do know that all the cars, manual transmision and automatic, beside brakes there is a bos of tranmission which also is used to parking. If car with automatic transmission is not running, one cannot shift the gear. In a car with manual trasnmission gear can be shifted easily only if car is unmovable. If it's on the hill, the only way to change the gear is through pushing the pedal of cluch.

There are many way to park a car, bus, truck in secure. It's the driver's fault if transport mechanism is not parked properly.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
How many precautions must a person take to prevent this from happening before you deem them as reasonable?
Would that bus have moved if the boys had not released the brake? We have become too accepting of wrong doing and turn the blame on victims. This sad and un-necessary death did not occur because of the way the bus was parked, it happenend because these boys broke in and released the brake.