Boy, 8, may face homicide charge in bus tragedy
Last Updated Tue, 23 May 2006 07:28:52 EDT
An eight-year-old boy from Brooklyn could be charged with criminally negligent homicide after allegedly causing a school bus accident that killed a young girl, police in New York said Tuesday.
Police said the boy and a companion snuck aboard the empty bus, which was parked in the Crown Heights area, while the driver took a break after a school trip, through an emergency exit at the back.
One of the boys released the emergency brake and the bus surged forward.
The vehicle struck second-grade student Amber Sadiq as she walked home from school with her older brother.
Witnesses said she tried to run out of its way but a large garbage can barred her escape.
There were conflicting reports about the girl's age.
Officer Doris Garcia said a charge of criminally negligent homicide may be laid against the unnamed boy.
This is insanity. I would say charges should be laid against the driver, and the bus company for leaving the potentially dangerous bus unattended. If the bus had been locked, the accident wouldn't have happened.