Toronto man charged after explosive seized

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060406.wxbomb06/BNStory/National/home

A Toronto man appeared in court yesterday to face charges that included possessing an explosive device after police seized a homemade bomb at an apartment building in the city's west end.

When they entered one apartment, they found a man standing in the kitchen. They said there was a brief confrontation after which they arrested the man and seized a makeshift bomb.

Sayed Aminullah Aziz, 21, is charged with possession of an explosive device, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose and failing to comply with his recognizance.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Being caught with that bomb

should get him a one way ticket back to wherever he came from.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
#juan, having not read the entire Immigration and Refugee Protection Act I may be incorrect, but I don't think that Canada exercises any sort of "one-strike" strategy when it comes to non-status immigrants committing a crime. Then again, whether or not I am correct in this assumption, this is the way it should be — I think that an independant commission or body should be set up to determine when a crime would warrant deportation. Each and every particular case is one of a completely separate scenario, and so I would think that it would be important to ensure that deportations are not made where the situation would not warrant such a drastic (and often dramatic) course of action.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Were just as happy if he rots in jail....do we need a commission for that too?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Five, that was a gut reaction.

We had another "Canadian" a couple years ago who tried to smuggle explosives into the U.S.. He was from the same general part of the world as this one. What upsets me is that these people are representing Canada in an extremely negative way. Blowing up buildings, people, etc, is not what Canadians generally do. It is my opinion that he should be deported forthwith. However, the authorities rarely consult me in these matters...... :wink:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
By "non-status immigrant" I meant one who is neither a citizen, nor a refugee, nor a permanent resident. I am unsure as to whether or not the article above is in reference to a citizen, permanent resident or whatnot — however, I am opposed to any sort of automatic or operational deportations that would occur as the result of an infringement of the law. As I have mentioned above (I think, lol), each situation should be considered separately in terms of deportations from Canada.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We do deport people, a lot more than I thought.

Under the auspice of protecting Canadians Immigration Canada has substantially increased the number of deportations carried out. According to Immigration Operations- Control & Intelligence, 2379 removals were carried out in 1989. By 1993 this had increased to 8296, attributed to a general rise in overall immigration. 1200 of those deported in 1993 where labelled criminals. Two years later, total immigration to Canada was brought back down to the immigration levels of 1989. However, deportation levels in 1995 were double the 1989 figure. The deportation of 'criminals' increased to 1756 or 36.6% of all deportations.

The increase in deportation of 'criminals' is a result of Bill C-44. Not only does Bill C-44 coordinate communication between immigration officials a[And law enforcement agencies but it streamlines the procedure for the deportation of 'criminals'. Despite the general lack of interest for the civil and human rights of convicted criminals. Bill C-44 has striped away the fundamental rights of people without Canadian citizenship who are convicted of a crime in Canada. The policies and procedures setup under Bill C-44 violate the Correctional Service of Canada's policy on inmates correctional plan for being re-united with their family and rehabilitated.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Thank you for such a comprehension explaination of Bill C-44 — perhaps, then, it would be prudent to amend the Act, or to remove it from the Statutes of Canada entirely. If rights and freedoms in Canada are to mean anything, then they should be extended to everyone within the borders of Canada, and within the influence of Canada abroad.

Rights and freedoms mean nothing, if we think some people have the right to have them.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Toronto man charged after explosive seized

FiveParadox said:
Thank you for such a comprehension explaination of Bill C-44 — perhaps, then, it would be prudent to amend the Act, or to remove it from the Statutes of Canada entirely. If rights and freedoms in Canada are to mean anything, then they should be extended to everyone within the borders of Canada, and within the influence of Canada abroad.

Rights and freedoms mean nothing, if we think some people have the right to have them.

Rights are for citizens, not the people abroad. Other wise there is no sense in having a country.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
How can you consider them "rights" then, Jay? By the very virtue of your post, does this not invalidate your previous claims that rights are inviolate, if you would now insist that rights and freedoms are a privilege, and that non-Canadians are non-deserving of them?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Are you kidding me?

So people in China have the same rights as Canadians in Canada?

Jurisdiction

Law. The right and power to interpret and apply the law: courts having jurisdiction in this district.

Authority or control: islands under U.S. jurisdiction; a bureau with jurisdiction over Native American affairs.

The extent of authority or control: a family matter beyond the school's jurisdiction.

The territorial range of authority or control.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Jay, as appears to have been your choice practice in the past, you appear to be ignoring the substance of my posts in lieu of bickering over semantics. I am not arguing over where the jurisdiction of Canada begins and ends — I'm not stupid, I know that Canada has no jurisdiction elsewhere. However, your post leads me to believe that you don't think that non-status immigrants in Canada are deserving of any rights whatsoever.