Why fighter pilots wear a Typhoon Grin

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The new Eurofighter, or Typhoon, may be coming into service later than it should have, is far more expensive than previously thought and has had a few technical glitches, but it will be the world's best fighter aircraft. It can soar to 12,000 feet in 4 seconds. And Britain will have more of them than any other country - around 232 of them. They are being built by Britain's BAE Systems (formerly British Aerospace), Europe's largest defence company.

Why fighter pilots wear a Typhoon Grin

By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent
(Filed: 01/04/2006)

To say that the RAF's new fighter accelerates faster than a Formula 1 car is to sell it very short indeed.

For the first 700ft of take-off, the comparison seems apt, but then 40,000lb of rear thrust put the aircraft into a vertical ascent that feels like being in the Space Shuttle and we soar from Earth to 12,000ft in four seconds flat.

Thomas Harding soared to 12,000ft in four seconds

It might be coming into service late and have cost massively more than it was meant to, but the much maligned Eurofighter - the Typhoon -has certainly arrived.

For manoeuvrability there is no aircraft in the world quite like it, as I discovered when I became the first journalist to fly in an operational Typhoon from RAF Coningsby, Lincolnshire.

The scepticism within military circles and beyond about the Typhoon runs deep. Designed during the Cold War to fight off hordes of Soviet fighters, it has, say many observers, no relevance in today's warfare against small bands of terrorists holed up in mountains or deserts.

That perception began to change yesterday when No 3 Squadron became the first operational unit to be equipped with the Typhoon, although problems surfaced again when a display to mark its introduction was delayed after the aircraft developed a fault with its air-conditioning.

"In terms of capability, Typhoon is a quantum leap over anything we have ever had," said Wg Cdr Al Mackay, who commands 29 Squadron in charge of training the fighter pilots.

"It's in a different league to anything we have ever had before." The Typhoon can travel at more than twice the speed of sound, it can fly at 65,000ft and it accelerates very, very fast.

But its major strength is its manoeuvrability - it can twist, turn and evade like nothing else on the market.

Perhaps that is why pilots who step out of the BAe Systems plane for the first time emerge with the "Typhoon Grin".

From next month, Wg Cdr Lol Bennett will start training a very eager and excitable batch of 16 pilots in No 3 Squadron, which he leads.

By early next year, any rogue airliner that has failed to keep radio contact or whose transponder fails - as happens about once a month over Britain - will very quickly have a Typhoon for company when it joins the Quick Reaction Alert team for home defence.

"I think it's a fabulous airplane, something we can be hugely proud of as a nation," said Wg Cdr Bennett.

"It has been seen as a bit of a white elephant and Cold War relic but we have never had an aircraft that has performed like this. Best thing since the Spitfire."

By early 2008, the unit will develop its air defence capability that will mean it can go anywhere in the world.

With British troops expected still to be deployed in Afghanistan at that time, it is likely the Typhoon will see its first action in the country's mountains and valleys.

Wg Cdr Bennett's unit will be the first of five large Typhoon squadrons who will share between them Britain's order of 232 aircraft.

The criticisms that the Typhoon is outdated even before it enters service will disappear as it is adapted to become a multi-role aircraft.

It will be able to carry heavy bomb loads of two 2,000lb smart bombs, Stormshadow cruise missiles, Brimstone anti-tank weapons, reconnaissance equipment and an array of air-to-air missiles.

The heavy payload will not affect performance, the pilots say, and its ground-attack capability will come into effect at the end of this decade.

If there is one complaint, it is that cost-cutting measures have meant not enough spares - from nuts and bolts to computers - leading to a number of Typhoons being grounded.

Flying the Typhoon is relatively simple. With more than a dozen computers on board, all that the pilot needs to control is the throttle, joystick and undercarriage handle.

Wg Cdr Mackay describes the rudder pedals as "foot rests, unless you are in combat".

One computer has a female voice that cajoles pilots and warns them of dangers.

"If you fly too close to the ground she urgently says 'low, low, low' in an agitated Margaret Thatcher voice and you half expect a handbag coming over the back of the seat to knock your head."

With digital terrain mapping entered into the system, the plane provides life-saving technology telling pilots to "pull up, pull up" if they are heading into a mountain.

At 24,000ft, I find out for myself what it feels like to fly when Wg Cdr Mackay asks me to take the controls. "If you pull back the sheep get smaller, push forwards and sheep get bigger," he says.

Concentrating hard on the "heads up" display, showing our altitude, speed and horizon, I gingerly tilt the joystick. The response is immediate as the plane dips and tilts.

It is extraordinarily easy to fly, even at the hands of a novice. The point is, it frees the pilot for combat and other tasks.

We drop down for a low-level pass over RAF Leeming (which has only Tornados and Jaguars) before screaming along the Hawes Valley in North Yorkshire, telling traffic control we will become invisible to radar. Everything seems to go in slow motion - the traffic on the A1, then a pleasant looking river drifts by. Until that is, Wg Cdr Bennett demonstrates the immense flexibility by turning 180 degrees within a 1,000ft radius at 500mph, 250ft above the ground.

"Look - we're back to where we started at the turn," he said.

As the G-forces dragged my stomach towards my feet and eyes out of their sockets, I muttered an "Oh, really" before concentrating hard on keeping down lunch.

telegraph.co.uk

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Blackleaf - WOW thanks for that article

What a beautiful craft - can you imagine the thrill???

Beyond human it is.

The crews who are chosen are very lucky to share in its history and no doubt it is going to have one heck of a history.

We're gonna see Juan journeying over there so hitch a ride if he can talk his way into it!!! :p

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Here are the performance numbers on the new Euro fighter.

It will not climb to 12,000 feet in four seconds. It's performance will be slightly less than the newest F-18.

The numbers:

FLUG REVUE Logo
Home | Update | Latest Issue | GALLERY | FR Profile | Datafiles
EF2000 DA2 mini picture

Eurofighter EF2000 (Typhoon)
Air superiority fighter with multi-role capabilities (Jagdflugzeug mit Fähigkeiten in der Luft-Boden-Rolle)

Country (Land)
Germany, Great Britain, Italy and Spain (Deutschland, Großbritannien, Italien und Spanien)

Manufacturer (Hersteller)
Eurofighter Jagdflugzeug GmbH
Am Söldnermoos 17
D-85339 Hallbergmoos
Deutschland

Phone: 0049-811/80-0
Fax: 0049-811/80-1557

Principal partners (Partnerfirmen): Alenia, BAE Systems, EADS (formerly CASA and Dasa)

General (Allgemeine Angaben)
Crew (Besatzung): 1 (2 in trainer variant)

Weapons (Bewaffnung): There is a built-in 27-mm Mauser gun. On its 13 external load stations (five under the fuselage), Eurofighter can use a wide variety of air-to-air and air-to-ground weapons, including a maximum of

* 6 x AIM-120 AMRAAM or the Matra BAe Dynamics Meteor now under development
* 6 x AIM-9 Sidewinder or Matra BAe Dynamics ASRAAM or BGT IRIS-T
* 4 x ALARM anti-radiation missile
* 4 x Penguin or Boeing Harpoon anti-ship missiles
* 18 x Brimstone anti-tank missiles
* 2 x Matra BAe Dynamics Storm Shadow or LFK Taurus stand-off weapons
* 4 x Paveway GBU-10/16 laser-guided bombs with designator pod
* 6 x BL 755 cluster bombs
* 12 x 500 to 2000 lbs conventional bombs
* 4 x Bristol Aerospace CRV-7 rocket pods
* 3 x external fuel tanks

Of course, these loads cannot be carried simultaneously, so typical configurations mentioned are

* 3 x AMRAAM, 2 x AIM-9, 1 laser-designator pod and 4 GBU12 bombs, 3 tanks
* 4 x AMRAAM, 2 x AIM-9, 1 tank, 6 x Penguin ASMs
* 4 x AMRAAM, 2 x AIM-9, 1 x 1000 l tank, 2 x 1500 l tank, 4 x Penguin ASMs
* 4 x AMRAAM, 2 x AIM-9, 1 tank, 5 x 450 kg bombs
* 4 x AMRAAM, 2 x ASRAAM, 2 x 1500 l tank, 1 x 1000 l tank, 2 x Alarm, 2 x Storm Shadow
* 4 x AMRAAM, 2 x ASRAAM, 1 x 1000 l tank, 18 x Brimstone
* 4 x AMRAAM, 2 x ASRAAM, 1 x 1000 l tank, 6x Alarm
* 6 x AMRAAM, 2 AIM-9L, 2 Paveways, 2 x underwing tanks
* 4 x AMRAAM, 2 x ASRAAM, 2 x Alarm, 4 x Paveway, 1 tank under fuselage

Power plant (Antrieb): 2 x Eurojet EJ200 two-spool turbofan with reheat
Thrust (Schub): 2 x 60 kN (13490 lbs) maximum dry thrust, 2 x 90 kN (20250 lbs) with reheat (mit Nachbrenner)

Dimensions (Abmessungen)
Length (Länge): 15,96 m
Heigth (Höhe): 5,28 m
Span (Spannweite): 10,95 m over ECM pods
Wing area (Flügelfläche): 50 sq m
Wing aspect ratio (Flügelstreckung): 2,205

Weights (Massen)
Empty weight (Leermasse): 10995 kg
Fuel capacity (Kraftstoff): 4000 kg
External stores load (Außenlast): 6500 - 8000 kg
Max. take-off weigth (Max. Startmasse): 23000 kg

Performance (Flugleistungen)
Max. speed (max. Fluggeschwindigkeit): Mach 2.0+
Max speed at low altitude (max. Geschw. in Bodennähe): 1390 km/h (750 KEAS)
Minimum speed (Minimalgeschwindigkeit): 203 km/h (110 KEAS)
Service ceiling (Dienstgipfelhöhe): 16765 m (55000 ft)
Time to 35000 ft/Mach 1.5 (Zeit auf 10600 m): 2,5 min
Take-off field length (Startstrecke): < 700 m
Landing field length (Landestrecke): < 700 m
Ferry range (Überführungsreichweite): 3700 km (2000 NM)
Radius of action (Aktionsradius):
- Intercept with 10 min on Patrol (Abfangjagd): > 750 NM (1390 km)
- Air patrol with 3 hrs on station (Luftraumpatrouille): > 100 NM (185 km)
- Ground attack, hi-lo-hi flight profile (Bodenangriff): > 750 NM (1390 km)
- Ground attack, lo-lo flight profile (Bodenangriff im Tiefflug): > 350 NM (650 km)
Ferry range (Überführungsreichweite): > 2000 NM (3700 km)
g-limit (g-Limit): +9/-3
Maintenance man-hours per flight hour (Wartungsaufwand pro Flugstunde): 9 h

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Juan lol

Took you less than 15 minutes to find that marvellous piece of flying machine!!! hahaha.

And you had all the credentials for it as well.. you pilots talk a whole nuther language.

Ahem...when are you leaving for the U.K.???

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
W.C.

The Euro fighter is an impressive aircraft. It's strength is not it's speed , but it's multi-role capabilities It can use a relatively short runway for take-off and landing, it has a very tight turn radius and It can utilise a wide variety of weapons. Very nice.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Juan

So - when are you going over there to hitch a flybye????

I wonder if some of them lose consciousness at those altitudes...

Aw...I'm such a darn sissy I always think of the icky things...

That short landing and take off will be an advantage too eh?

OMG - I just looked at the G limit! Talk about a stretched face!!!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We are going to GB in September W.C.

We got a great deal on the air fare. Damn near half price. In September we can pretty much count on rain in Britain so we won't be disappointed. If we happen to have sunshine it waill be a bonus.

I some how don't think I will be getting a ride in the Typhoon though. For one thing,I don't think they're built yet, but I'm sure there are other reasons.. :p

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Juan

Lots to see over there anyway - pubs and museums and brrrrrrrrr the Tower of London hahaha....

Are you going into the countryside or staying in London or ?

There should be an airshow or two around that time no? Maybe they are all held in the summer months -

Blackleaf will know!

Sounds like a lovely trip - September would be a nice month too....

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Is Juan an Aviation fan? If so Juan let me know and I will give you the address of a great forum for people interested in anything Aviation Related. It's called Pprune, it has every topic you can imagine.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My wife is heavily into geneology.

so part of the trip will be checking in on dead relatives in England, Ireland, and Scotland. We will get a about two weeks "on the continent". We'll rent a car in France and drive where we want, when we want. I'm pushing for anywhere on the Mediterranean.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Juan

That sounds wonderful! I would love to visit a real Irish Pub - a couple of my nephews went over to Ireland to work when they finished college and one fell madly in love...he stayed for over a year...but finally returned home....

Checking grave markers and church records or town records? That would be like an adventure as Sherlocke Holmes... my girlfriend and her husband went last summer to all of the U.K. she loved Scotland best...but they did the commercial "tour of London"...and saw the lane where Jack the Ripper killed all those women....and the Tower of London...and rode the busses....she was speechless (for a change).... which gave her husband a great time too !!

I can see your camera(s) are gonna get a workout....

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Sassy

Juan is an ex pilot for the Canadian Air Force....

Blackleaf is always teasing us with his aircraft information....air shows....retiring old aircraft fighters.....

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

I have read that even today the Avro Arrow could still hold it's own against other military jets, would that be true as it's said the Avro Arrow was ahead of it's time when it was built.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Sassy

I think I saw you writing about your hubby being a 'copter pilot now too???

Johnny

The Avro sweptwing is classy and sexy!

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Yep it's clean and informative. I love Jet Blast the Brits and the Aussie are hilarious.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
LOLOLOL...

Agony Aunt Forum....

"I got my girlfriend pregnant "

"I am lonely"

This looks like a hoot of a place to hang out in.... thanks Sassy

Juan - yep

It's a beauty having its lunch and picture taken too !!

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Oh my god WC I read that today too and his birth control methods well left a little to be desired. It's a great place to hang and read up on the Aviation Industry World Wide. If you want an ugly un-moderated aviation site check out Justhelicopters view recent threads, Holy Hell it gives pilots a bad name.