Feeling a bit... paranoid today?

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
So a plane crashes and now they want to ban air shows. Yet another knee-jerk reaction in an increasingly paranoid, knee-jerk reactive society.

It is just another fearful addition to an ever-growing pile of fears. Another example that has been troubling me lately: Our daughter is pregnant with her first child. She is on the receiving end of a never-ending litany of things she mustn't do, eat, drink, think, whatever, during her pregnancy because to even think of doing those things will forever permanently damage her unborn child. We're talking 'don't eat chocolate', for heaven's sake, because of the infintessimal amount of - gasp! - caffeine found therein. Women spend their pregnancy being told about all the awful things that might go wrong, especially in labour, so instead of enjoying the pregnancy with anticipations of a perfectly normal labour, they spend the time worrying.

Were she to take even half of it seriously, she'd have to live in a cocoon (a sterile one, of course) and eat only sterilized food for nine months. Fortunately, she has a good sense of humour, and has the sense to sort through the nonsense to find the good advice.

Any thoughts on this modern-day phenomena of media-manufactured fear-mongering that is assaulting us daily? Any other examples that irk you the most?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Haggis: you have touched on a very serious phenomena that is affecting current society.

What irks me ( on a personal level) is the constant (or almost) barrage of the words "security" , "threat", and news of new "techniques that "will enhance " our "security". It is amazing that society is not paralyzed into the fear mode completely now..... and complying like little robots to their gov't threat factor reinforcement.

TEEVEE is the worst culprit of this "message" of course. One solution is to avoid anything on TV that is US based. Fortunately , here in CA this is not so prominent . Some realism still exists in this country. But one cannot even watch a good detective /cop story (based in the US ) that does not use "threat" related language.

Of course the other part of this equation is that soon it will be ignored . , people will become immune to it, and should anything disastrous occur again........they will go into the over react , over kill mode again. .....

(Good for your daughter about being smart enough to sift out the crap "advice" from healthy pregnancy living and hopefully she is enjoying her pregnancy . It is truly a nine month adventure of change, and "magical wonder". Congratulations on becomeing a grand parent soon. :)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Thanks, Ocean Breeze. You bring up some great points. Americans are, be it because of their media tactics or not, far more paranoid than we are. The McCarthy-esque commie-under-every-rock has simply been replaced with Bush's terrorist-under-every-rock.

Children are another victim of this new fearful society. When I was growing up, I had the understanding that my parents were not afraid of anything. When I discovered one small thing that my mother was afraid of, I became really afraid of that one thing. What, then, of children today? They will be afraid of their own shadow.

Thank you for your nice words about our daughter. She is thrilled about the whole thing, and she absolutely refuses to participate in the nonsense. I just feel for the many other women who implicitely trust everything they read. Instead of having the time of their life, they must be terrified.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Regarding pregnancy: If I was a woman about to give birth,I'd cut back on my serious drug use and slightly curtail the amount of hard liquor I consume. Other than those two items,Id live my life as normally as possible.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
missile said:
Regarding pregnancy: If I was a woman about to give birth,I'd cut back on my serious drug use and slightly curtail the amount of hard liquor I consume. Other than those two items,Id live my life as normally as possible.

:lol: Well, it'd probably be a good idea to cut back on the drug running as well, and maybe the bungee jumping.... :D

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
The McCarthy-esque commie-under-every-rock has simply been replaced with Bush's terrorist-under-every-rock.

very well put. Haggis. (spot on.......and this HAS to have an effect on their collective minds....

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Haggis McBagpipe said:
missile said:

:lol: Well, it'd probably be a good idea to cut back on the drug running as well, and maybe the bungee jumping.... :D

that's the "spirit" Haggis. !!! :wink:

Heta

Aug 22, 2005
Kelowna
Since becoming pregnant, I am shocked at the contradictions of the medical community. Every booklet and every health practioner tells me that nowadays pregnancy is not treated as a disease but as a natural life process YET, at every turn, I am told to treat myself with more care than if I were dying of cancer! For heaven's sake, which is it?

Genetic testing is really pushed by most doctors even though the results are far from conclusive, in fact, most genetic testing results in more false positives that not and frequently increases your risk of miscarriage. Where does that leave you? With an enormous amount of stress over nothing and possibly losing your baby over nothing! One of the couples in my prenatal class was worried, after watching a TV show, about a disease that occurs in one of 50,000 and wondered if they should have the testing done so that they can abort if the child will have this extraordinarily rare disease!

Pregnant women are encouraged to eat a well rounded diet but musn't eat: soft cheese (brie/feta/camembert etc), honey, deli meat, deli salads, tuna, swordfish, shark, farmed fish, chocolate, tea, coffee, soda, anything with artificial sweeteners, anything with a lot of sugar, anything with a lot of fat and the list goes on.

Pregnant woman are supposed to exercise 6 days a week BUT, don't sweat, don't stretch your arms over your head, don't bounce, don't do anything where a flying object could hit you (including badminton, those birdies are pretty dangerous!), don't exercise in the heat or humidity and don't bend over too far.

The worst part, of course, is how many gullible or TV brainwashed people there are out there that will fall for every bit of it. Even worse, when their partners fall for it and won't let the pregnant woman live a normal, balanced lifestyle.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Americans appear unaware that they now come across as an easily frightened people. Sure, they have rhetoric to spout that speaks of a strong freedom-loving nation doing what has to be done to preserve democracy in the world, yada yada yada, but the rhetoric doesn't translate into any real personal courage that I can see. The courageous Americans are the ones willing to speak out against the wrongs of the current government, not the ones who have memorized patriotic rhetoric.

The difference between the Brits during the Blitz (hmm, that sounds like the start of a poem) and the Americans after September 11th is astounding. The Brits really did just get on with life, even while bombs fell. The courage shown was something to which we should all aspire.

The Americans, on the other hand, became both obsessed with the tragedy and frightened of everything. They are imprisoned by this fear. The terrorists DID win, really... the Americans just don't recognize this yet.

I do NOT believe this is a result of a deficiency in the American character, not by any means. I think it is a result of media and government fear-mongering. Whereas Churchill stood strong and stayed in London, Bush ran and hid until it was safe to come out. Churchill inspired the Brits with words about strength and valour in the face of great odds, while Bush inspired only a senseless patriotic defensiveness and hatred in Americans.

Heta

Aug 22, 2005
Kelowna
Even after the bombings in London in July, the Brits could only say, 'what, is that the best you can do?'. They didn't cower, they didn't cry and moan and wail and need counselling, they didn't even declare a moment of silence. I suspect Canadians would be more like that even with the barrage of American TV and influence.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: Feeling a bit... paranoid today?

Heta said:
Since becoming pregnant, I am shocked at the contradictions of the medical community. Every booklet and every health practioner tells me that nowadays pregnancy is not treated as a disease but as a natural life process YET, at every turn, I am told to treat myself with more care than if I were dying of cancer! For heaven's sake, which is it?

Genetic testing is really pushed by most doctors even though the results are far from conclusive, in fact, most genetic testing results in more false positives that not and frequently increases your risk of miscarriage. Where does that leave you? With an enormous amount of stress over nothing and possibly losing your baby over nothing! One of the couples in my prenatal class was worried, after watching a TV show, about a disease that occurs in one of 50,000 and wondered if they should have the testing done so that they can abort if the child will have this extraordinarily rare disease!

Pregnant women are encouraged to eat a well rounded diet but musn't eat: soft cheese (brie/feta/camembert etc), honey, deli meat, deli salads, tuna, swordfish, shark, farmed fish, chocolate, tea, coffee, soda, anything with artificial sweeteners, anything with a lot of sugar, anything with a lot of fat and the list goes on.

Pregnant woman are supposed to exercise 6 days a week BUT, don't sweat, don't stretch your arms over your head, don't bounce, don't do anything where a flying object could hit you (including badminton, those birdies are pretty dangerous!), don't exercise in the heat or humidity and don't bend over too far.

The worst part, of course, is how many gullible or TV brainwashed people there are out there that will fall for every bit of it. Even worse, when their partners fall for it and won't let the pregnant woman live a normal, balanced lifestyle.

:D :D :D Ha ha! That's my daughter! My god, where on earth did she learn such lippy, opinionated ways?? Shocking. Simply shocking. :lol:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Haggis McBagpipe said:
Americans appear unaware that they now come across as an easily frightened people. Sure, they have rhetoric to spout that speaks of a strong freedom-loving nation doing what has to be done to preserve democracy in the world, yada yada yada, but the rhetoric doesn't translate into any real personal courage that I can see. The courageous Americans are the ones willing to speak out against the wrongs of the current government, not the ones who have memorized patriotic rhetoric.

The difference between the Brits during the Blitz (hmm, that sounds like the start of a poem) and the Americans after September 11th is astounding. The Brits really did just get on with life, even while bombs fell. The courage shown was something to which we should all aspire.

The Americans, on the other hand, became both obsessed with the tragedy and frightened of everything. They are imprisoned by this fear. The terrorists DID win, really... the Americans just don't recognize this yet.

I do NOT believe this is a result of a deficiency in the American character, not by any means. I think it is a result of media and government fear-mongering. Whereas Churchill stood strong and stayed in London, Bush ran and hid until it was safe to come out. Churchill inspired the Brits with words about strength and valour in the face of great odds, while Bush inspired only a senseless patriotic defensiveness and hatred in Americans.

Haggis: You deserve a big warm HUG for this post. You have captured the very essence /fabric of the situation. It is so damned refreshing to read wise and thinking posts. ......

NOt sure what it would take for "Americans" to see this though......as they are so "programmed" now. In fact their "programming" begins since childhood. They can only get defensive when confronted with reality and truths......and one can only assume that it hurts to see/hear that their delusional bubble of illusion is being punctured. Truth has a way of doing that....... and many simply RESIST truth......while prefering their illusions. Fascinating situation. Fascinating culture. ......which is essentially transparent and very superficial.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Heta said:
Even after the bombings in London in July, the Brits could only say, 'what, is that the best you can do?'. They didn't cower, they didn't cry and moan and wail and need counselling, they didn't even declare a moment of silence. I suspect Canadians would be more like that even with the barrage of American TV and influence.

excellent point. (bravo).

I have tried to imagine how "we" Canadians would react to a "terror" attack. and don't think it would be "US style " at all. As a whole "we" are a lot more pregmatic and realistic......(and grounded in reality) and yes, the Brits handled theirs without any whining, dramatizing, and replaying it until it sears the brain cells of the population. ........But yet with great applomb. /dignity.

Maybe that is the big difference between Brit/Ca culture and the US culture. The US really has no dignity. They do not handle events with dignity or class or sophisticated intelligence. Seems they just REACT......and become combative , with pronouncements of getting back at "them"......AGGRESSION seems to be the favored path.

the more one explores the US culture ,mindset the more interesting it becomes as in how it affects the world around them. It is also an indicator of how they perceive the world as it relates to them. They feel threatened ever so easily.....and feel the need for a vast military, WMD....(in massive quantities) , more security systems than one can imagine. , the possession of GUNS - ........and yet they are afraid of their own shadow. What this suggests is: that NO AMOUNT Of "security" measures (external) will make them as a population feel "safe and secure " within their own skin. ) One begins to feel sorry for them ..........

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

Ocean Breeze said:
Maybe that is the big difference between Brit/Ca culture and the US culture. The US really has no dignity. They do not handle events with dignity or class or sophisticated intelligence. Seems they just REACT......and become combative , with pronouncements of getting back at "them"......AGGRESSION seems to be the favored path.

These aren't American traits, though, not in my view, anyway. I think it is the current culture of America that is the culprit, and the problem. The people themselves are capable of wondrous things, who could ever deny it?

Germans, good people, were capable of falling into the Nazi mentailty, and right now I'd say Americans, good people, are in the grip of the Bush mentality. And I'd like to point out that this is NOT meant to compare Bush to Hitler, but rather to demonstrate the ease in which a good people can be led astray.

Americans have done an enormous amount of good in the world, they are a decent people, there's no inherent flaw in their genetic make-up that makes them bad or stupid people. Rather, it is that strange and deadly culture, reinforced by fear, that has gripped them, and it is affecting them, harming them, and ultimately might destroy them.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
These aren't American traits, though, not in my view, anyway. I think it is the current culture of America that is the culprit, and the problem. The people themselves are capable of wondrous things, who could ever deny it?

agree, to a point :wink:

No one ever negated that the US has contributed wondrous technology , progress to society and the world at large.

I do think that the US has always been very AGGRESSIVE. Aggression is fine when applied to competition, advancement, progress etc. But like anything else , when it takes on an extreme format....it gets out of control easily. when it is translated into elective wars of choice......then it is red alert time. (IMHO) When LIES are used to justify AGGRESSION......then society is regressing at a rapid rate. What once was......is no longer.

I do think the article on Bush madness on another thread explains the current phenomena very well. ......and how his madness has become a collective madness in a very short time.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Ocean Breeze said:
when it is translated into elective wars of choice......then it is red alert time.

Good point. America as the benign giant was a safe enough thing, for the most part, even though the truth belied the title. Still, they did strive to maintain the reputation, which kept things in check for the most part. Bush has changed this, he no longer worries about world opinion, he has created an America the Belligerent, an America full of fear, distrust and contempt for its world neighbours. It isn't pretty.

I will say this, though. I would still choose the Americans to be by our side in fighting an enemy (a REAL enemy, not a politically-convenient pseudo-enemy). The Brits and Yanks share with us certain common values, and in a real crunch, you could not ask for better friends and allies than both the English and the Americans.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
The Brits and Yanks share with us certain common values, and in a real crunch, you could not ask for better friends and allies than both the English and the Americans.

true ...... with one little exception perhaps. :wink: I would TRUST the Brits a lot more than I would "trust" the CURRENT America. Bush is far too fickle and turns on pals on a dime ......particularly if they don't follow his line of policy blindly. One thing I would hate to feel is a sense of beholding to the US. Then they will control you for life. They will remind you frequently of what they did to save your butt and create that feeling of obligation. /debt. This diminishes a person and a nation and causes a festering of anger.....

*now , under another , more intelligent, effective leader in the US.......sure......what you say, holds merit. )

(just some thoughts on this one)

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

Heta said:

Yes the British people did say that...yet the security concerns in the UK have become EXTREMELY paranoid to the point of shooting innocent people in the head because they might, kind of, sort of look like a terrorist...

The problem is that governments no longer represent the people, but wish to bully the masses into acceptance of their indomitable rule...they use things like Terror-Alert-Orange, and shooting people to accomplish this...and yes, every time there is a terrorist attack, the governments shore up their powerbase, and take a little more from the people...

*sigh*