How to stay warm for BCers

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I was listening to the radio yesterday and some intrepid reporter went out in weather that was -3 with the windchill to ask his fellow British Columbians to keep warm. I'm not sure how he managed to find such stupid people, but he did.

Anyway, I was thinking it was lucky that it wasn't really cold in BC or these people would have have simply laid down on the sidewalk and died. You cannot stay warm by meditating or doing yoga, after all. Wearing a sweater with your shorts doesn't really work either. Wearing socks is a good start, but apparently the man had sandals on.

Here are some tips in case it ever really does get cold in BC. You BCers should find the meditation girl and make sure she has a copy of them. She'll likely need somebody to read them to her too.

1. Wear a hat. A toque that covers your ears is best, but even a ball cap is better than nothing. You loose a lot of heat out of the top of your head.

2. Get a scarf. You can keep on your neck to keep the wind off or wrap it around your face. Balaclavas are good too. You'll be warm and prepared to rob a 7-11.

3. Layers. This does not mean putting a sweater on to cover up the coffee stains on your t-shirt. It means t-shirt, shirt, sweater or lumber shirt, vest, and a parka...preferably one long enough to cover your ass. Add and subtract layers according to the temperature. Keep your lighter on one of the inner layers or it will freeze up and won't work.

4. Wear gloves. Mitts are even better. My favourite combination are wool gloves inside leather work gloves. It allows the freedom of movement to smoke, but makes your hands club-like enough to smash icicles off your eaves.

5. Pants. Layers again. Long underwear, pants, ski pants. Pee before you put them on. Most ski pants have suspenders so put them on before you put your parka on.

6. Socks. The first (inner) sock should be a sports sock that wicks the sweat away from your feet. The second (outer) sock should be a thick wooly one. If you are going anywhere where your feet might get wet, take extra socks.

7. Boots. Notice how I didn't say shoes? My favourite boots are some steel-toed workboots lined with thinsulate. They aren't the warmest but they are waterproof and you can kick frozen bodies with them without hurting your toes. The warmest boots are those big ugly white ones.

Now you know as much about staying warm as the average toddler on the prairies. One other thing...if you feel all warm and sleepy do not lay down in the snow for a nap. You will die.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I was listening to the radio yesterday and some intrepid reporter went out in weather that was -3 with the windchill to ask his fellow British Columbians to keep warm. I'm not sure how he managed to find such stupid people, but he did.

Anyway, I was thinking it was lucky that it wasn't really cold in BC or these people would have have simply laid down on the sidewalk and died. You cannot stay warm by meditating or doing yoga, after all. Wearing a sweater with your shorts doesn't really work either. Wearing socks is a good start, but apparently the man had sandals on.

Here are some tips in case it ever really does get cold in BC. You BCers should find the meditation girl and make sure she has a copy of them. She'll likely need somebody to read them to her too.

1. Wear a hat. A toque that covers your ears is best, but even a ball cap is better than nothing. You loose a lot of heat out of the top of your head.

2. Get a scarf. You can keep on your neck to keep the wind off or wrap it around your face. Balaclavas are good too. You'll be warm and prepared to rob a 7-11.

3. Layers. This does not mean putting a sweater on to cover up the coffee stains on your t-shirt. It means t-shirt, shirt, sweater or lumber shirt, vest, and a parka...preferably one long enough to cover your ass. Add and subtract layers according to the temperature. Keep your lighter on one of the inner layers or it will freeze up and won't work.

4. Wear gloves. Mitts are even better. My favourite combination are wool gloves inside leather work gloves. It allows the freedom of movement to smoke, but makes your hands club-like enough to smash icicles off your eaves.

5. Pants. Layers again. Long underwear, pants, ski pants. Pee before you put them on. Most ski pants have suspenders so put them on before you put your parka on.

6. Socks. The first (inner) sock should be a sports sock that wicks the sweat away from your feet. The second (outer) sock should be a thick wooly one. If you are going anywhere where your feet might get wet, take extra socks.

7. Boots. Notice how I didn't say shoes? My favourite boots are some steel-toed workboots lined with thinsulate. They aren't the warmest but they are waterproof and you can kick frozen bodies with them without hurting your toes. The warmest boots are those big ugly white ones.

Now you know as much about staying warm as the average toddler on the prairies. One other thing...if you feel all warm and sleepy do not lay down in the snow for a nap. You will die.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
"You cannot stay warm by meditating" :lol: :lol: actually you can :lol: :lol: thats what meditating is all about 8)

Most of BC gets hard winters, its just the coast and island just >>> over from it, this is the true lotusland, nah we are not use to snow, but we approach it with our island humor :p In the last week I have seen so many shorts, toques, hiking boots, and parkas ...its like a fashion runway. Everyone wants to wear a lid :wink: In fact last night I saw a young man wearing knee length hawiian shorts, a toque, runners and a ski jacket.

Make no mistake tho rev, under all the jest, we are from the land of the saquatch and cougar. We know how to survive :wink:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
"You cannot stay warm by meditating" :lol: :lol: actually you can :lol: :lol: thats what meditating is all about 8)

Most of BC gets hard winters, its just the coast and island just >>> over from it, this is the true lotusland, nah we are not use to snow, but we approach it with our island humor :p In the last week I have seen so many shorts, toques, hiking boots, and parkas ...its like a fashion runway. Everyone wants to wear a lid :wink: In fact last night I saw a young man wearing knee length hawiian shorts, a toque, runners and a ski jacket.

Make no mistake tho rev, under all the jest, we are from the land of the saquatch and cougar. We know how to survive :wink:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Rev, you're only referring to those tofu-eating, Volvo-driving, latte-slurpers..... here's the straight poop from my local EnviroCan website:

Observed on 13 Jan. 2005 at 8:00 AM
Condition : Sunny
Temperature : -22°C
Pressure : 103.9 kPa
Visibility : 64 km
Relative Humidity : 55%
Dew Point : -28°C
Wind Speed : 0 km/h

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Rev, you're only referring to those tofu-eating, Volvo-driving, latte-slurpers..... here's the straight poop from my local EnviroCan website:

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Current Conditions
Victoria
Light snow
Temperature---------------- 0°C
Wind chill-------------------- 0°C
Wind--------------------------- 2 km/h SE 80%
Relative Humidity...........80%
Barometric pressure------- 102.8 kPa
Dew point------------------- -3°C

See we still got wear toques and parkas :wink:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Current Conditions
Victoria
Light snow

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Current Conditions
Victoria
Light snow

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: How to stay warm for

I assume these people were in downtown Vancouver. If I remember correctly the CBC building is someplace close to the water there. They need serious help.

What if they decide to go visit Ten Packs? He'll be stacking up frozen corpses like cordwood.

The girl who was meditating to keep warm really freaked me out. Cold is not a state of mind, it's a way to lose fingers and toes.

Here's the long range forecast for Winnipeg, including current conditions:

Today..Sunny with cloudy periods. Local blowing snow. Wind northwest 40 km/h gusting to 60. High minus 24. Extreme wind chill minus 42.

Tonight..Clear. Wind northwest 40 km/h gusting to 60 diminishing to 20 this evening. Low minus 32. Extreme wind chill minus 42.

Friday..Sunny. Wind west 20 km/h. High minus 28. Extreme wind chill minus 46.

Saturday..Sunny. Low minus 32. High minus 24.

Sunday..Sunny. Low minus 32. High minus 24.

Monday..A mix of sun and cloud. 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 25. High minus 16.

Normals for the period..Low minus 24. High minus 14.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I assume these people were in downtown Vancouver. If I remember correctly the CBC building is someplace close to the water there. They need serious help.

What if they decide to go visit Ten Packs? He'll be stacking up frozen corpses like cordwood.

The girl who was meditating to keep warm really freaked me out. Cold is not a state of mind, it's a way to lose fingers and toes.

Today..Sunny with cloudy periods. Local blowing snow. Wind northwest 40 km/h gusting to 60. High minus 24. Extreme wind chill minus 42.

Tonight..Clear. Wind northwest 40 km/h gusting to 60 diminishing to 20 this evening. Low minus 32. Extreme wind chill minus 42.

Monday..A mix of sun and cloud. 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 25. High minus 16.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I read an article in the Times Colonist warning Victorians that snow can be slippery. Well, thank God I read that. I wonder if the journalist actually researched that tidbit of information before he wrote it. I can see him outside, sliding on the snow with a notepad, scibbling down is article.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I read an article in the Times Colonist warning Victorians that snow can be slippery. Well, thank God I read that. I wonder if the journalist actually researched that tidbit of information before he wrote it. I can see him outside, sliding on the snow with a notepad, scibbling down is article.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa