At least two dead, two others wounded in shooting at San Bernardino elementary school


Tecumsehsbones
+1
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

A society that is founded on the belief that everyone should be allowed to carry a handgun can hardly be surprised when people get angry and use them.


That's the type of society that Americans want. It's one of their fundamental beliefs.

Of course it is. And you know because you're Canadian.
 
Ludlow
#32
That part of the country is in it's own dimension.
 
B00Mer
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

A society that is founded on the belief that everyone should be allowed to carry a handgun can hardly be surprised when people get angry and use them.


That's the type of society that Americans want. It's one of their fundamental beliefs.

What's wrong with responsible gun ownership..
 
Bar Sinister
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

What an absolutely ignorant statement. I guess the same could be said of any country where killing like this happens. Like when Justin Bourque gunned down the RCMP (killing three and injuring two) in Moncton, I guess that's the society that New Brunswicker's want to live in. So have at it.

Give your head a shake.



I'm not a gun advocate, but do you really think this guy wouldn't have killed his wife and the kid without the gun?

He might have, but they might at least have had a chance to get away. Outrunning a bullet is difficult. And the fact the murderer might still have tried to kill his wife is irrelevant, especially given the fact that he appears to have accidentally killed an innocent child.

Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

No, no need to apologize. You can be annoying in any thread you like, no permission needed. Just a little disappointing that you're turning into a one-trick pony. Not that you owe me anything, hear?


Well, if it was Canada, he wouldn't have been able to get a gun. Canada doesn't let people have guns, so nobody gets killed there. That's why it's perfect.

Canada is way ahead of the US so we must be doing something right, just as the US is doing something wrong.

Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Interestingly, the data's in, and there are a couple of things in the U.S. that have been effective at reducing violence. I discuss them with folks on another forum, because they're interested in solutions.


That's strange. I've seen nothing from you in this thread that in any way shows you are interested in serious discussion. Your response became instantly emotional as soon as someone pointed out that guns might be a problem. In the interests of serious discussion, perhaps you might want to respond to this.

Gun Violence Archive (external - login to view)
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

A society that is founded on the belief that everyone should be allowed to carry a handgun can hardly be surprised when people get angry and use them.


That's the type of society that Americans want. It's one of their fundamental beliefs.

That's hogwash, there is much debate about firearms and gun control in the US. You just choose to generalize.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

He might have, but they might at least have had a chance to get away. Outrunning a bullet is difficult. And the fact the murderer might still have tried to kill his wife is irrelevant, especially given the fact that he appears to have accidentally killed an innocent child.

Canada is way ahead of the US so we must be doing something right, just as the US is doing something wrong.

I am actually among the few who thinks that assault weapons, even semi-automatic, have no place in the public. I have handled all sorts of weapons in my military career, but I believe that such weaponry should be restricted to the military or law enforcement.

But this guy could have just as easily run that woman down with his car and taken out a kid or two along the way. We can't possibly know the outcome if he had not had a gun. I don't see the relevance of the gun control argument here.

We have had many multiple murders here in Canada by firearm, even with our gun laws.

Talking domestic violence that would be more relevant than trying to hang the gun control argument on this.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

That's strange. I've seen nothing from you in this thread that in any way shows you are interested in serious discussion. Your response became instantly emotional as soon as someone pointed out that guns might be a problem. In the interests of serious discussion, perhaps you might want to respond to this.

Gun Violence Archive (external - login to view)

Not with somebody who insists that the only way to reduce gun violence is to get rid of guns, and when asked how, responds with a handful of measures most of which some or all U.S. states have already taken, generally decades ago (and none of which would get rid of guns anyhow).
 
Bar Sinister
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Not with somebody who insists that the only way to reduce gun violence is to get rid of guns, and when asked how, responds with a handful of measures most of which some or all U.S. states have already taken, generally decades ago (and none of which would get rid of guns anyhow).

I think you have identified part of the the problem. If criminals, the mentally unstable, and others can simply drive from one state with strong gun legislation to one that has very weak guns laws, then the entire system is weakened. Canada's gun laws apply coast to coast just as they do in most nations with gun control laws. It doesn't really matter if Illinois has strict gun control if all a potential buyer has to do if drive to Indiana.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

I think you have identified part of the the problem. If criminals, the mentally unstable, and others can simply drive from one state with strong gun legislation to one that has very weak guns laws, then the entire system is weakened.

OK, so you missed the part about "you cannot buy a handgun in a state where you are not a resident, and have not been able to do so since 1968."

Quote:

Canada's gun laws apply coast to coast just as they do in most nations with gun control laws. It doesn't really matter if Illinois has strict gun control if all a potential buyer has to do if drive to Indiana.

The U.S.'s gun laws are a mix of Federal, state, and local.

And hey, looky here! So are Canada's!

Quote:

This fact sheet is intended to provide general information only. For legal references, please refer to the Criminal Code (external - login to view) and the Firearms Act (external - login to view) and their corresponding regulations. Provincial, territorial and municipal laws, regulations and policies may also apply.

Restricted Firearms - Royal Canadian Mounted Police (external - login to view)

So, let's sum up. In a two-sentence post, you lied about Canadian gun laws in the first sentence, and you lied about U.S. gun laws in the second sentence.

OK, OK, maybe I'm a bit too harsh here, saying "lied." Let me back down and just say you made up false facts to support your argument. Either way, we're done here, because as James Madison said. . .

"To argue with someone who has abandoned the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

The "use and authority of reason" includes supporting one's arguments with real facts, not whatever crap one makes up for the purpose of supporting her argument.

I'd be happy to discuss this, or any other subject, with you whenever you decide that making shit up will not be your go-to tactic.
 
Curious Cdn
#39

We have had many multiple murders here in Canada by firearm, even with our gun laws.


He have, have we?

There have been a few.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...cres_in_Canada (external - login to view)

This "long list" goes all the way back to the Lachine Massacre of 1689. It's about as long as a month or two worth of multiple murders down in the Exited States.
Last edited by Curious Cdn; 1 week ago at 06:55 AM..
 
Tecumsehsbones
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post


We have had many multiple murders here in Canada by firearm, even with our gun laws.


He have, have we?

There have been a few.

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA! The ultimate CanCon argument: two people going at it over undefined, deliberately vague terms!

Many!

Few!

MANY!

FEW!

MANY, you scumbag motherf*cking child-molesting communist!

FEW, you scumbag motherf*cking child-molesting fascist!

Justine!

Stevie-boy!

Die, traitorous garbage!

Die deader'n that, Nazi dogshit!


What could be better?
 
Curious Cdn
#41
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA! The ultimate CanCon argument: two people going at it over undefined, deliberately vague terms!

Many!

Few!

MANY!

FEW!

MANY, you scumbag motherf*cking child-molesting communist!

FEW, you scumbag motherf*cking child-molesting fascist!

Justine!

Stevie-boy!

Die, traitorous garbage!

Die deader'n that, Nazi dogshit!


What could be better?

Drink your coffee. Take your Prozac. Settle down.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

Drink your coffee. Take your Prozac. Settle down.

"I'm having a good time!"

-- David Patrick Kelly as Luther, The Warriors
 
Bar Sinister
#43
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

OK, so you missed the part about "you cannot buy a handgun in a state where you are not a resident, and have not been able to do so since 1968."

The U.S.'s gun laws are a mix of Federal, state, and local.

And hey, looky here! So are Canada's!

Restricted Firearms - Royal Canadian Mounted Police (external - login to view)

So, let's sum up. In a two-sentence post, you lied about Canadian gun laws in the first sentence, and you lied about U.S. gun laws in the second sentence.

OK, OK, maybe I'm a bit too harsh here, saying "lied." Let me back down and just say you made up false facts to support your argument. Either way, we're done here, because as James Madison said. . .

"To argue with someone who has abandoned the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

The "use and authority of reason" includes supporting one's arguments with real facts, not whatever crap one makes up for the purpose of supporting her argument.

I'd be happy to discuss this, or any other subject, with you whenever you decide that making shit up will not be your go-to tactic.

Apparently acquiring something called an FFL allows anyone to buy a gun in one state and have it shipped to another. Also I really wonder just how carefully gun dealers check a person's background in states that do not require a state permit to buy a gun.

The Easiest States To Buy A Gun | The Huffington Post (external - login to view)

Also I am not sure why you referred me to the RCMP site, it says nothing about provinces having different firearm laws. In fact the firearms regulations that can be enacted in a province can only be done so under federal law - and that law would probably be to further restrict firearm use.

So who is actually doing the lying? It appears to me that Mr. Madison was talking about someone like you.

BTW this is just an example of the usual bafflegab I get in debates with gun nuts. First of all they deny the USA has a problem by comparing to dysfunctional societies like Guatemala and Venezuela. Then they claim guns are necessary for protection, despite evidence that guns in the USA are usually used to kill the innocent. Then they try to deflect by bring in specious arguments that have nothing to do with the original topic. And the, like you, they simply make things up. Finally, they resort to personal attack, since none of their arguments can be shown to have any real basis in fact. Since you have employed all of these tactics I would say that you are typical of the gun obsessed.

I feel as if I am just wasting my time in this "discussion" so unless you can actually come up with some information that actually proves that gun violence in the USA is normal, I am finished with it.
 

Similar Threads

3
One dead, 2 wounded in Fort Bragg shooting
by Locutus | Jun 29th, 2012
0
1 dead, five wounded in Toronto shooting
by CBC News | Mar 15th, 2008
0
Toronto shooting leaves 1 dead, 3 wounded
by CBC News | Jun 9th, 2007
no new posts