Far too many idiots running the country!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Now the C.R.T.C. has decided in its infinite wisdom and sagacity that high speed internet is necessary for everyone. That's very f**king nice but before we piss away $3/4 billion dollars on that, let's get nutritious food, potable water, safe housing for the poorest 5% - 10% of the population. The main problem we have in this country is the high end A$$holes who don't have a clue about how the poorest folks live and they don't give a sh*t because why should they, they don't contribute anything towards the luxuries these A$$holes a wallowing in. Of course when you have a pathetic Prime Minister what else can you expect?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Now the C.R.T.C. has decided in its infinite wisdom and sagacity that high speed internet is necessary for everyone. That's very f**king nice but before we piss away $3/4 billion dollars on that, let's get nutritious food, potable water, safe housing for the poorest 5% - 10% of the population. The main problem we have in this country is the high end A$$holes who don't have a clue about how the poorest folks live and they don't give a sh*t because why should they, they don't contribute anything towards the luxuries these A$$holes a wallowing in. Of course when you have a pathetic Prime Minister what else can you expect?

You're just saying that self righteous sh1t because you have high speed internet.
I call hypocrisy on this. If you had dial up you'd be all over this to go through.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You're just saying that self righteous sh1t because you have high speed internet.
I call hypocrisy on this. If you had dial up you'd be all over this to go through.

Slow down there Bucko I had dial up for years, so don't tell your grandmother how to suck eggs! If you have half a brain you'd realize food, water and shelter are of higher priority than high speed internet. Think before you run your mouth!

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
It's 2016 don't you know

We will all get to smoke pot soon and collect our welfare check. It's our god given Canadian right!

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
They're all idiots... Until we find a group not an individual that opetates at the centre were going to be doomed to be lead by idiots.
Doomed we are,,,at least for the foreseeable future,,,nothing on the horizon!!

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

Just in case you missed it, the internet is a pretty basic part of most people's lives. In fact it is a pretty basic part of modern economic and social infrastructure. Really advanced nations realize this, which is why South Korea, Japan, and Finland have the world's fastest internet speeds. Canada is somewhere in the middle, however many Canadians have only limited access to high speed or mediocre and irregular service. The CRTC's ruling is a step in the right direction. Your post reminds me of people who opposed the automobile and the telephone.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just in case you missed it, the internet is a pretty basic part of most people's lives. In fact it is a pretty basic part of modern economic and social infrastructure. Really advanced nations realize this, which is why South Korea, Japan, and Finland have the world's fastest internet speeds. Canada is somewhere in the middle, however many Canadians have only limited access to high speed or mediocre and irregular service. The CRTC's ruling is a step in the right direction. Your post reminds me of people who opposed the automobile and the telephone.

NO!!! My post is about people having adequate healthy food, water and a safe dwelling before concerning themselves with automobiles and telephones. I'm in favour of high speed internet AFTER the essentials are provided.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Now the C.R.T.C. has decided in its infinite wisdom and sagacity that high speed internet is necessary for everyone.

That's part of the plan... provide everything for free and create a comfortable, dependent class of Canadians. When they can live a comfortable life of leisure on the backs of the working class they will certainly reward their liberal masters with their votes.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Hehehehe...I'm sure some folks argued against the CPR.

NO!!! My post is about people having adequate healthy food, water and a safe dwelling before concerning themselves with automobiles and telephones. I'm in favour of high speed internet AFTER the essentials are provided.

People that actually know something about economics understand that good infrastructure leads to economic growth, thereby allowing the population to obtain the "essentials". Your argument is completely and epically idiotic. That is not much of a surprise.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
So does this mean I no longer have to pay Rogers for this service? Unclear on how this has any bearing on anything. Service has always been available.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Telephones are treated the same way, do any of you think you get a free telephone?

Apparently, brains aren't a requirement for many of the posters on here.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Yup, the country never would have been connected with telephones had the JLMs of the world been listened to

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Depends on where you are.

So this means that somebody in the far corners of Saskatchewan must have access to high speed internet? Does this mean Rogers must build the required infrastructure to accommodate him (in addition to Bell should he decide to switch providers)? Does it mean they can charge him the appropriate rate to recover these costs or will the CRTC say it has to be the same as everybody else's? If the same, this will no doubt mean that all the rates will increase as you can be damn sure that Rogers won't eat this expense.

Seems like a silly ruling but that is kind of what the CRTC is there fore so not really unexpected.

This link answered most of my questions:

CRTC declares broadband internet access a basic service - Politics - CBC News

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So this means that somebody in the far corners of Saskatchewan must have access to high speed internet? Does this mean Rogers must build the required infrastructure to accommodate him (in addition to Bell should he decide to switch providers)? Does it mean they can charge him the appropriate rate to recover these costs or will the CRTC say it has to be the same as everybody else's? If the same, this will no doubt mean that all the rates will increase as you can be damn sure that Rogers won't eat this expense.

Seems like a silly ruling but that is kind of what the CRTC is there fore so not really unexpected.

So I'm guessing you see no benefit to phone lines, the CPR, rural electrification, the TransCanada highway, interstates, the internet, water and wastewater systems... Alrighty then...

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
So I'm guessing you see no benefit to phone lines, the CPR, rural electrification, the TransCanada highway, interstates, the internet, water and wastewater systems... Alrighty then...

There is certainly benefits and costs. It is the latter which I was questioning. If you choose to live in the middle of frucking nowhere, not sure why I should subsidize your choice.

However. the article I linked do answered most of my questions to my satisfaction. I hadn't really heard more than the headline til this point and there was no link in the OP. I probably should have read it prior to posting. Oh well.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
There is certainly benefits and costs. It is the latter which I was questioning. If you choose to live in the middle of frucking nowhere, not sure why I should subsidize your choice.

This may come as a bit of a shock to you but there isn't an abundance of farmland,pasture land or oil wells inside the major centres. A pretty significant percentage of the country's economic activity occurrs in the hinterland and far more could occur if we invested in infrastructure.

You sound a bit like a Dipper, arguing against developing resources