Black Lives Matter protesters close London City Airport runway

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
All flights at London City Airport were disrupted after protesters gained access to the runway.

The Met Police said it was called to the site at about 05:40 BST after nine protesters erected a tripod and "locked themselves together" on the runway.

The Black Lives Matter UK movement confirmed it was responsible for the protest.

Apparently, the protesters were protesting against "racist climate change."

Black Lives Matter protesters close London City Airport runway

BBC News
6 September 2016

Black Lives Matter UK initially claimed the protest through a series of tweets

All flights at London City Airport were disrupted after protesters gained access to the runway.

The Met Police said it was called to the site at about 05:40 BST after nine protesters erected a tripod and "locked themselves together" on the runway.

The Black Lives Matter UK movement confirmed it was responsible for the protest.

All nine were removed and arrested from 09:30. The airport said inbound flights were diverted.

Black Lives Matter UK said the action was taken in order to "highlight the UK's environmental impact on the lives of black people locally and globally".

A statement said: "Whilst at London City Airport a small elite is able to fly, in 2016 alone 3,176 migrants are known to have died or gone missing in the Mediterranean.

"Black people are the first to die, not the first to fly, in this racist climate crisis.

"We note, however, that the UK is willing to charter special flights to remove black people from the country based on their immigration status."

Speaking to BBC London, group member Joshua Virasami added: "The community where this airport is is a predominantly black community.

"In Britain, 28% of black people are more likely to be exposed to air pollution... being in closest proximity to the industries causing climate change."

He added the disruption to flights was "a very small inconvenience when you think about the consequences for black communities daily" and the protesters would remain on site "as long as feasibly possible".

Scotland Yard said it was investigating how the protesters got on the runway - including the suggestion that they swam across the Thames or used a boat.

When asked how the protesters gained access, Mr Virasami said "I'm not in a situation to say... but one can use their imagination".

London City Airport passenger Hannah Moore, from Wandsworth, was due to fly to Amsterdam.

She said: "It's chaos. There's a huge queue outside the airport. I managed to get in. We've been told to watch the boards.

"I have an important business meeting to attend in Amsterdam. I've told them I might not make it."

Casey Collins, who was due to fly to Luxembourg, said customers had initially assumed the delays were related to IT glitches at Heathrow and Gatwick.

He said: "The problem was that there were only two or three staff there. People were behaving themselves, they know it was not the airport's fault, but for a time it was a bit chaotic."

He said passengers were offered refunds for cancelled flights, while delayed passengers were given refreshment vouchers.

The Met said all nine arrests were on suspicion of aggravated trespass, being unlawfully airside and breaching London City Airport bylaws.

A London City Airport spokesperson added: "We apologise to passengers for any inconvenience to their journey."

The airport is popular with bankers and business professionals due to its proximity to Canary Wharf in London Docklands.

Last year, a record 4.3 million passengers used the airport.

What is Black Lives Matter?

The movement began in the US in 2012 after George Zimmerman was found not guilty of murdering Trayvon Martin in Florida

It was founded by three women who have described it as "an ideological and political intervention in a world where black lives are systematically and intentionally targeted for demise."

In August protesters blocked roads in Nottingham, Birmingham and the M4 at Heathrow, in a day of anti-racist activism. Nineteen people were arrested.

There is now a UK-wide network which they say focuses on campaigning for black people who have died at the hands of police in this country

Black Lives Matter protesters close London City Airport runway - BBC News

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
ah...
so they have put some close on, eh?
If black live matter so much, why don't they stop killing each other?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A statement said: "Whilst at London City Airport a small elite is able to fly, in 2016 alone 3,176 migrants are known to have died or gone missing in the Mediterranean.

"Black people are the first to die, not the first to fly, in this racist climate crisis.

"We note, however, that the UK is willing to charter special flights to remove black people from the country based on their immigration status."

Speaking to BBC London, group member Joshua Virasami added: "The community where this airport is is a predominantly black community.

"In Britain, 28% of black people are more likely to be exposed to air pollution... being in closest proximity to the industries causing climate change."
I have several problems with this statement:

1) That "small elite" able to fly is actually, in the main, the ordinary people, going on holiday or on business or whatever. It's not a "small elite."

2) Those migrants crossing the Med aren't doing so because of climate change. They are doing so either because of war in Syria or they are economic migrants or they are Islamists. Nothing to do with "climate change".

3) The UK is definitely willing to remove black people and send them home - those black people who are here illegally. Their skin colour is immaterial.

4) "In Britain, 28% of black people are more likely to be exposed to air pollution..."

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think this is the most incoherent protest I've seen this year.

So, climate change is a crime against black people, and somehow London City Airport is responsible for that?

Would have been interesting to see what the protestors did when a Q400 came at them. Those props are nasty.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

So, climate change is a crime against black people, and somehow London City Airport is responsible for that?

Would have been interesting to see what the protestors did when a Q400 came at them. Those props are nasty.

Just loonie lefties. A few weeks ago they would have been protesting against Brexit. Now they've switched to protesting against "racist climate change". In a few months they'll switch against to protesting against the election of Trump.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
They certainly give Trump supporters a run for their money.

Well, y'know, gotta attack Da Man where he lives.

If they were on social media at the time, it would be shredded tweet.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The airport would never just go ahead and allow a plane to land or take-off on that runway whilst those numpties have locked themselves to a tripod on it. It could jeopardise the safety of the passengers and crew.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Hey sh*t f*ck, guess what was there first? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't the predominantly Black community.
And how exactly, is that London Airport's problem? And a "small elite"? Yeah, I guess 4.3 million passengers served in 2015 is a small number.

These guys are morons anyway. Even the bit about air pollution is a joke. They live in a port city. In a study done a few years back, it was estimated that 20,000 Britons in port cities die every year as a result of emissions from shipping. As far as any charges go, they should be charged with a federal crime along the lines of interfering in the flow of trade and commerce. Which is what they should all be charged with when they shut down airports or major arteries.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The airport would never just go ahead and allow a plane to land or take-off on that runway whilst those numpties have locked themselves to a tripod on it. It could jeopardise the safety of the passengers and crew.

Really? I never would have imagined that. Thank you for pointing that out.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

That would be natural selection.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Really? I never would have imagined that. Thank you for pointing that out.
possibly there might be black folks on the plane
lol

well ya know...
when the fat lady backed into the whirling propellor
Dis a$$ed 'er

ETA
so prop circles really are man made

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Hey sh*t f*ck, guess what was there first? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't the predominantly Black community.
And how exactly, is that London Airport's problem? And a "small elite"? Yeah, I guess 4.3 million passengers served in 2015 is a small number.

These guys are morons anyway. Even the bit about air pollution is a joke. They live in a port city. In a study done a few years back, it was estimated that 20,000 Britons in port cities die every year as a result of emissions from shipping. As far as any charges go, they should be charged with a federal crime along the lines of interfering in the flow of trade and commerce. Which is what they should all be charged with when they shut down airports or major arteries.

London City Airport opened in 1987. It's in Silvertown in the London Borough of Newham, the borough where most of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park is. The airport is the fifth-busiest in the London area.

Even though Silvertown is probably now mainly non-white (Newham as a whole has one of the lowest white populations in the country), it probably wasn't mainly non-white when London City Airport opened in 1987. Blackies have been brought into the area in recent years. Apparently, for the last 20 years or so, Newham London Borough Council has had a policy of replacing any locals who leave or die with black people and immigrants, and these blacks and immigrants have caused a large increase in crime and drugs and even guns in Silvertown.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Blackies have been brought into the area in recent years. Apparently, for the last 20 years or so, Newham London Borough Council has had a policy of replacing any locals who leave or die with black people and immigrants, and these blacks and immigrants have caused a large increase in crime and drugs and even guns in Silvertown.

So, the whole Brexit thing won't save you from those scary 'blackies', if your own council is 'bringing them in'.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
So, the whole Brexit thing won't save you from those scary 'blackies', if your own council is 'bringing them in'.

Well what can we do about British blackies?

Deport them back to their homeland?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Good.

... so deport the British to Britain?

As for all the immigrants now being placed into Silvertown, making local residents' lives a misery, Britain's new Brexit Government has reiterated that it will end EU free movement into the country.

Thankfully, the residents of Silvertown and many other UK neighbourhoods will no longer be seeing newly-arrived Roma scum and Bulgarian child molesters moving in next door, thanks to Brexit.