CBC host Evan Solomon took secret cut of art deals

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
for those not keeping up with this fine institution...

via sda

Part II except this one you're actually paying for.
The Star found Solomon has been brokering the sale of paintings and masks owned by a flamboyant Toronto-area art collector to rich and famous buyers. Solomon, in at least one case, took commissions in excess of $300,000 for several pieces of art and did not disclose to the buyer that he was being paid fees for introducing buyer and seller.

The CBC took Solomon off the air Monday pending an investigation. The move came after the Star presented the results of its probe of Solomon to the CBC.

I say we do to the CBC what the NDP is advocating we do to the Senate, abolish it.

CBC host Evan Solomon took secret cut of art deals | Toronto Star

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
CBC is corrupt to the core,,,,,yep,, like the Senate.

It just stated on The National that Evan S has been fired from the CBC!!

Good, one less Liberal employed by the CBC

----------------

Kinda puts Amanda Lang in the drivers seat to replace Peter Mansbridge !!

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

----------------

Does anyone watch the CBC?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
one or two in here like to use their little articles.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Well it is pretty shocking to say the least.

But sometimes people are just poor at managing their money or don't intentionally mean to do harm.

The guy was a damn good journalist, that's for sure.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It isn't like he was brokering heroin. Unless you're already in the old boys club it is scandalous to make money. Off with his head!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Well it is pretty shocking to say the least.

But sometimes people are just poor at managing their money or don't intentionally mean to do harm.

I will bet you would be wanting his hide up a flagpole if he worked for Sun News or Fox News.

It isn't like he was brokering heroin. Unless you're already in the old boys club it is scandalous to make money. Off with his head!

Public Beheadings! Finally replacement for HNIC! Beheading Night In Canada.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

In some aspects, I would say. He was like a hound on a hare. When he was giving someone the third degree, the killer instinct was very obvious. Not sure that always works. If it was me I would have just told him to F**K OFF. Anyway he got told exactly that!

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
We do not need to get rid of the CBC. That's ridiculous. I'm not even sure what the big deal is. Evan Solomon is a journalist, not a politician, so what is the big deal if he's making a commission off of brokering an art sale? I suppose if the CBC has a rule in place about using his position as a journalist for outside endeavors, it would be punishable, but I tire of the CBC bashing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We do not need to get rid of the CBC. That's ridiculous. I'm not even sure what the big deal is. Evan Solomon is a journalist, not a politician, so what is the big deal if he's making a commission off of brokering an art sale? I suppose if the CBC has a rule in place about using his position as a journalist for outside endeavors, it would be punishable, but I tire of the CBC bashing.

Me too, as far as reliably reporting the news I find they are second to none! Peter and Rex are professionals in the trade as is Hannah Thibedeau.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

----------------

I'm not getting where the interference 'ethics' is coming from, and certainly not in the calibre of Amanda, Rex or even Mansbridge.

I can only wonder whether his Cons saw an opportunity to cripple or fry the CBC further by removing one of its big players just before an election. After trying to torpedo its coverage of the leadership debates.
And instructed the hapless CBC managers to fire Solomon immediately. Even though there is no evidence Evan's amateur art dealing compromised his journalistic ethics. He never interviewed any of the people involved as far as I know.
He clearly didn't try to hide anything

Of course with a Harper hand picked Conservative Board of Directors, Evans on air frustrations with CONs refusing to answer questions they were just waiting for something to get rid of him..........

http://canadalandshow.com/article/why-cbcs-amanda-lang-review-horse****

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/c...mansbridge-speaking-oil.html?highlight=Amanda

Nine of the eleven current members of the Conservative Broadcasting Corporation Board of Directors - have been appointed by Prime Minister Harper - are or have been financial contributors to the Conservative Party of Canada.

https://www.friends.ca/blog-post/11728

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The great thing about the CBC is that they always have staff that are good at asking hard hitting, but relevant questions.

They will grill politicians of all stripes, and that's not something da taxflayers should ever let go of.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The great thing about the CBC is that they always have staff that are good at asking hard hitting, but relevant questions.

They will grill politicians of all stripes, and that's not something da taxflayers should ever let go of.

Cough cough, not completely true. There is bias, but find me a news org that isn't these days.