'The sanctity of marriage is under attack'

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The sanctity of marriage is in pretty sad shape if it can't make room for the
reality of society. I don't think who people love should be a legislative thing
at all. It doesn't put my marriage in trouble one way or the other.
These people who are so insecure about change or insist on some quote as
vague as it might be to guide them.
No the fact is those who love each other getting married is strengthening the
institution regardless of what the family make up is

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
'The sanctity of marriage is under attack'

Jewelry store sign prompts same-sex couple to ask for refund - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News

Businesses are fighting back on same sex marriage because it is their businesses and they have a right to believe what they want.

Is this the right way to go or no?. Is this freedom of speech or hate mongering?

What di you think?
Is it legal to permit refusal of business based on what, in the eyes of the law, is discrimination ? This is pretty much the same as the "No Coloureds" signs of days gone by.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Is it legal to permit refusal of business based on what, in the eyes of the law, is discrimination ?
In the U.S.? Yes, it is. It is only illegal to discriminate on certain, specified bases. Those bases are enumerated in Federal, state, and local law. There is no Federal law against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. Some states and local jurisdictions have such laws.

This is pretty much the same as the "No Coloureds" signs of days gone by.
I doubt a court would see it that way. It is not denying service to any group. And the meaning is ambivalent.

Personally, if I thought the sanctity of marriage was under attack, I'd look at Britney Spears, Kim Kardashian, and Las Vegas wedding chapels.

Edited to add: I see that the store is in St. John's, so U.S. law doesn't apply. What's the Canadian law on discrimination?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Probably ok under free speech but a little dumb for his business.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That's the beautiful thing about capitalism. He pisses off enough folk, he'll go under. Then he can spend his days cashing his assistance checks and pissing and moaning on CanCon.

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
That's the beautiful thing about capitalism. He pisses off enough folk, he'll go under. Then he can spend his days cashing his assistance checks and pissing and moaning on CanCon.
Ha ha, then he could really have his free speech.

Business owners should take a lesson from the corporate community. Being supportive of everyone in society is just good business.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The business owner is free to post it. The customers are free to boycott. I don't think they are entitled to a refund. That would be up to the discretion of the business and if the ring were in re-sellable shape.

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
Sad part is the person who decided to put up this sign probably has others in his/her world that are affected by more than just a failing business. Drinking the evangelical christian kook-aid is an attack on free society. Just be glad they are non-militant.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I buy my gas at a service station run by Pakistanis...
Do I ask them to change their belief in order for me to buy from them?
I don't care what they believe in as long as I'm satisfied with their prices.. Those women should quit being so damned offended and grow a set....If what they purchased is up to their specifications, they have nothing to b-itch about....end of story

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Sask. gay marriage refusal law ruled unconstitutional | Toronto Star

Protection from discrimination based on sexual orientation is written into the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, but how that would be enforced is a good question. The link above shows an article where a Saskatchewan Appeal Court found that it was illegal for a Marriage Commisioner to refuse to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples. The popular way to fight for this right of refusal is to say that not to refuse service would conflict with religious beliefs that are also protected under the Charter, but that was deemed insufficient by the judgement described above.

Now, to be fair, the business described in the OP did not actually refuse service based on sexual orientation, they were in fact happy to take the money from a lesbian couple as a deposit on a pair of custom made engagement rings. What the store owner did do was hang a sign in his window inferring that same sex marriages were immoral. This upset the customers in question enough that they have asked for their money back, but the outcome of that request is on hold until the owner returns from time off next month. Could be touch and go on that one as the rings are custom made.

The question here would seem to be does hanging the sign qualify as discrimination if it is an expression of the owner's religious beliefs ? I guess the wording would have a lot to do with that, there is fine print along the bottom of the sign that is to small to read in the picture but I'd guess that if it wasn't actually promoting any form of hatred that it wouldn't qualify.

EDITED TO ADD:
If in fact, the sign does not contain any wording that is overtly hateful but is merely a statement of belief, could it not be construed that that lesbian customers are guilty of discrimination against the shop owners based on religious affiliation ?

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Ha ha, then he could really have his free speech.

Business owners should take a lesson from the corporate community. Being supportive of everyone in society is just good business.
He's being in support of heterosexual marriage. He's not refusing to serve the homosexuals.

I refuse to enter stores that have a political party sign in the window during an election but it is their right to do it.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
He's being in support of heterosexual marriage. He's not refusing to serve the homosexuals.

I refuse to enter stores that have a political party sign in the window during an election but it is their right to do it.

Even if it's not "your" party?

or does "the Hoard" even have a party?

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC

True, but he is voicing an opinion against same-sex marriage in a slippery sort of way. Kind of goes against that "Judge not, that ye be not judged" thing. Isn't it a little hypocritical that teaching like love and tolerance tend to be a thing of convenience in some Christian faiths ?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
True, but he is voicing an opinion against same-sex marriage in a slippery sort of way. Kind of goes against that "Judge not, that ye be not judged" thing. Isn't it a little hypocritical that teaching like love and tolerance tend to be a thing of convenience in some Christian faiths ?

Being a hypocrite is not illegal.

I view this as a free speech and free market issue. He is free to post whatever he likes (as it is clearly not offensive or derogatory) and people are free to not go to his store.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
sanctity of marriage?

it would seem that some people choose only 1 of the 2 meanings of the word.

sanc·ti·ty
ˈsaNG(k)tədē/
noun
1. the state or quality of being holy, sacred, or saintly.
"the site of the tomb was a place of sanctity for the ancient Egyptians"
synonyms: holiness, godliness, blessedness, saintliness, spirituality, piety, piousness, devoutness, righteousness, goodness, virtue, purity; formalsanctitude
"the sanctity of St. Francis"

2. ultimate importance and inviolability.
"the sanctity of human life"
synonyms: inviolability

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
sanctity of marriage?

it would seem that some people choose only 1 of the 2 meanings of the word.

sanc·ti·ty
ˈsaNG(k)tədē/
noun
1. the state or quality of being holy, sacred, or saintly.
"the site of the tomb was a place of sanctity for the ancient Egyptians"
synonyms: holiness, godliness, blessedness, saintliness, spirituality, piety, piousness, devoutness, righteousness, goodness, virtue, purity; formalsanctitude
"the sanctity of St. Francis"

2. ultimate importance and inviolability.
"the sanctity of human life"
synonyms: inviolability
I think it's a good thing if one is mature enough to be married. I don't know about sanctity. If that means commitment then I suppose that's a good thing to. I'm thinking that if two people are devoted to each other , regardless of their sexuality, then why would that not be a good thing. I'm wagering that there are several same sex unions that had two decent people that did a hell of a lot better job than I did in my own experience. Who am I to make a value judgement on what is right in any case. It ain't none of my business.