Tories take backseat to NDP and Wildrose in Alberta

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
NDP?

Alberta?

That would some hilarious tears.

New poll shows tight three-way election race in Alberta

A new poll shows Alberta voters are in a “grumbly mood” at the start of the provincial election campaign, leaving the Tories in third spot in a tight three-way race.

Pollster Mark Henry cautions, however, that voter anger with the Progressive Conservative government in the early days of the campaign won’t necessarily endanger the Tory dynasty on election day on May 5.

The ThinkHQ Public Affairs survey of 1,835 Alberta voters on an online panel shows the Wildrose Party in the lead with the support of 31 per cent of decided voters, followed by the NDP at 26 per cent, and the PCs at 25 per cent.

The Liberals come in at 12 per cent and the Alberta Party at five per cent in the poll, which was conducted over the five days before the writ dropped on Tuesday.

“Voters are in a pretty grumbly mood,” said Henry.

“A lot of them seem to want to take the Tories to the woodshed, but I don’t know necessarily they want to lead them to the gallows at this point. It’s really too early to get into that, to be honest. I think this early poll is much more a reflection of dissent than future intent.”

Related

About a quarter of those who were polled are undecided. When those undecided voters are factored in, Wildrose has 24 per cent support, the NDP 20 per cent, the PCs 19 per cent, the Liberals nine per cent and the Alberta Party at four per cent.

But Henry believes the poll shows some real disenchantment with the PCs over the floor-crossing of Wildrose MLAs to the government, Prentice’s “mirror” comment about Albertans, the tough budget and the early election itself.

He notes there has been a significant drop in support for the Tories, who had 40 per cent support when Think HQ polled in January.

As well, the PCs were essentially tied in Edmonton with the NDP in January, but the newest survey shows the New Democrats with 42 per cent support in the capital, 20 points ahead of the Tories.

Wildrose leads the PCs 31 per cent to 27 per cent in Calgary in the latest poll.

The poll was conducted using an online panel between April 2 and 6.

jwood@calgaryherald.com

New poll shows tight three-way election race in Alberta | Calgary Herald

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Well we will see how things trend leading up to the election, but something has got to change if they want another 'sound majority'.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
To something that will grab voters.

Edit: Ah, I should have gone with the aggregates.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Of course.

If you've gone shoes shopping with your women you'll note that after trying on a dozen pair at a half dozen shops, she'll buy the first pair from the first store. That is what you can expect from an Alberta election.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Of course.

If you've gone shoes shopping with your women you'll note that after trying on a dozen pair at a half dozen shops, she'll buy the first pair from the first store. That is what you can expect from an Alberta election.
The first pair from the first store?

I think perhaps the metaphor is overextended.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I have never seen it to this extreme.

The opposition votes generally split among themselves and deliver the seat to the PCs.

The common factor between the PCs and WR is that both represent (or so they say) fiscal conservatism.

The Dippers and Libs always announce more spending and tax hikes to accommodate the inefficient overspending of the gvt, they haven't figured-out that most Albertans understand that the province doesn't have a revenue problem as much as there is a spending problem.

That in a nutshell is the reason that the free-spending proposals have been shot down over the last 40 years

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

It would cost you a pail of cash to convince me to dance with Wynne