Goodbye Future Shop: 66 stores closing, others converting to Best Buy locations

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Goodbye Future Shop: 66 stores closing, others converting to Best Buy locations

Published Saturday, March 28, 2015 10:23AM EDT
Last Updated Saturday, March 28, 2015 5:30PM EDT
The Future Shop brand appears to be a thing of the past in Canada, as the technology retailer's parent company moves to rebrand many of its stores under the Best Buy tag.
Best Buy Co., Inc., which owns and operates Future Shop and its competitor, Best Buy, confirmed the shift on Saturday.
In a statement, the company said it would close 66 Future Shop locations "effective today," with another 65 stores transitioning to Best Buy locations after a week-long shutdown.
Best Buy Canada says the move will eliminate 500 full-time and 1,000 part-time jobs. "The affected employees will receive severance, employee assistance and outplacement support," Best Buy said.
Many Future Shop employees turned up for work on Saturday morning to discover that they were locked out.
Brandon Buchanan, who used to work in mobile audio section at a Toronto store, said that a lot of his former co-workers were shocked by the news.
"That happened kind of suddenly, because a lot of the people I still know work here -- apparently, they showed up this morning and it was just locked out," Buchanan told The Canadian Press.
"I had planned on maybe coming back and checking it out for a job again now that I'm back in the city but I guess that's not happening," he added.
Michelle Derue, who showed up at downtown Toronto store on Saturday to purchase headphones, felt bad for the workers who lost their jobs, and said that they should have been notified sooner.
"It's not a good thing for them, they've got families … you should get some sort of advanced warning when things like this happen because Future Shop is a big store, so they should've known this way before just today," Derue said.
The president and COO of Best Buy Canada, Ron Wilson, said in a statement Saturday that the decision to cut jobs was not taken "lightly."
"Our first priority is to support them through this change," Wilson said. "I want to express my appreciation to the employees who are leaving for their contributions to Best Buy Canada."
Maureen Atkinson, a retail analyst with J.C. Williams Group, told The Canadian Press that the layoffs will put workers in a tough position as they will be competing in the retail job market alongside recently unemployed Target staff.
The American retail giant shuttered its Canadian stores in January, affecting more than 17,000 employees.
"I think it's not great if you work in retail," said Atkinson. There's a lot of retail people out on the street give the Target closures too, so I think it's going to be a challenge employment-wise," she added.
Many shoppers turned up at Future Shop locations Saturday to find them closed with "Coming Soon" signs posted in the windows advertising the partnership with Best Buy.
Ben McLeod was frustrated after taking a city bus to try to buy a TV from a downtown Edmonton Future Shop -- and seeing that the store wasn't set to re-open for a week.
"I spent $10 on a bus pass for no reason and end up coming here and finding the store is actually closed," said McLeod. "It's stupid they would do that and not tell anyone in advance."
The organization says it is reviewing its "real estate footprint" because Best Buy and Future Shop locations are often placed fairly close to one another, "often in the same parking lot."
"Currently, 80 per cent of our customers are within a 15-minute drive to a store and that won't change," Wilson said.
Best Buy says it will have 192 retail locations, including 56 Best Buy Mobile stores, after the restructuring is complete.
"It doesn’t surprise me, actually, because I know the same company owns both stores. So at some point I expected them to merge into one," Guy Mcloughlin, a Future Shop customer, told The Canadian Press.
Best Buy acquired Future Shop in 2001.
"I would always go to both stores anyway to comparison shop, because occasionally one would be cheaper than the other. I guess I lose that option now. But otherwise I'm just thankful we've got something like that still in Canada because if they went I don't know what would be left," Mcloughlin added.
Future Shop gift cards will be honoured at Best Buy's online store and at all retail locations, the company said. Future Shop product orders, warranties and service appointments will be transferred to Best Buy, and Best Buy stores will also accept Future Shop returns and exchanges.
As part of the restructuring, Best Buy Canada says it will invest "up to $200 million" into what it calls a "multi-channel customer experience" to beef up its online and in-store retail offerings. Among the expected changes will be a move to expand online sales so customers can order from stock at their local retail store and have it delivered to their front doors.
Marketing professor Robert Soroka, of Concordia University, says he's not surprised by Best Buy's move to scale back on "brick and mortar" stores and emphasize its online store.
"My feeling is this is just a natural progression," Soroka told CTV News Channel.
He says Best Buy is moving to strengthen its online store to compete with web retailers like Amazon. The company has also fallen victim to "showrooming," where people test out products in store but buy them for cheaper prices online.
The cost of the restructuring is expected to range from $250 million to $350 million over the next five years as Best Buy moves to rebrand some stores, sell off others, pay out severance packages and close out its rent agreements.

Future Shop closing, re-opening 65 stores as Best Buy locations | CTV News

Well that was sudden! Feel so sorry for the staff showing up to work and being locked out, that's not the way to find out something like this.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I think the future shop brand name is stronger here then the best buy brand.
Just a other bad decision from a American company.

This is a good opportunity for "the source"

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
retail is pretty much in the toilet with all of the online purchasing and the speed of delivery availabe

will be interesting to see what is left in ten years

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Half the time they didn't have the parts in stock I wanted anyway. Now I shop on-line at Staples and go over $50 and delivery is free. Other than that delay that isn't a bad way to shop for computer components. Back in the day I thought Sears and Eatons were the only 2 stores in the world, that falsehood lasted longer than Santa or Puff the Dragon, . . . combined.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Service sucked at the local Future Shop. Slapping a new name on the door probably won't change that.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
service always sucks in those monster sized places

unless top brass is around

we walked through Bed, Bath and Beyond last week, probably got asked at least 6 times if we needed assistance, they are one of the better service providers but usually if you need help you have to go looking for someone

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Bought our first computer from them. :-( It lasted many years.:-( RIP Future Slop.

It was an HP, and came with a cash back mail in coupon. They refused to honour the coupon.

Such is life.....................eh;-)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Bought our first computer from them. :-( It lasted many years.:-( RIP Future Slop.

It was an HP, and came with a cash back mail in coupon. They refused to honour the coupon.

Such is life.....................eh;-)
yes those cash back mail in coupons are interesting

I had a cash back for Norton which was to be mailed to St. Thomas ON...never saw a penny from them, never heard from them and the phone number didn't work...

just give me the money off at the counter or forget it

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
service always sucks in those monster sized places

unless top brass is around

we walked through Bed, Bath and Beyond last week, probably got asked at least 6 times if we needed assistance, they are one of the better service providers but usually if you need help you have to go looking for someone

SIX TIMES!!8O..............Did you look confused?:lol:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I've shopped both and didn't really notice much of a difference in them to be honest. The only thing I know to be different is that FutureShop ran on commission but Best Buy doesn't. I assume that, since they decided to run the brands simultaneously, there were trying to determine the best model for Canada.

It's still pretty sh!tty to have staff turn up for a Saturday shift to a locked door though.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I've shopped both and didn't really notice much of a difference in them to be honest. The only thing I know to be different is that FutureShop ran on commission but Best Buy doesn't. I assume that, since they decided to run the brands simultaneously, there were trying to determine the best model for Canada.

It's still pretty sh!tty to have staff turn up for a Saturday shift to a locked door though.

I think its odd that their first closed day would be a Saturday. Kind of a peak shopping day.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
SIX TIMES!!8O..............Did you look confused?:lol:
actually it may have been more than six and three of those approaches were well within a two minute time period...having been in retail for years it indicates "visitors" from head office or a new training program being implemented

we just laughed, my guy is the most easy going creature on the face of the earth, almost nothing fazes him

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
End of the quarter.
yes that could well be

likely saved them a mess of paperwork and legalities

terrible for the employees, however they likely knew something was up anyway and fast is way better than prolonged agony

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I heard rumors of them packing it in last fall.
yes, which means the employees would have known even if they had not been told

I was supposed to get a GPS from Best Buy that was located in eastern Canada...the general manager was to bring it back from a massive meeting which occurred last week

it was forgotten...that meeting must have been deadly

GPS will arrive by mail in the coming week

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
actually it may have been more than six and three of those approaches were well within a two minute time period...having been in retail for years it indicates "visitors" from head office or a new training program being implemented

we just laughed, my guy is the most easy going creature on the face of the earth, almost nothing fazes him
My step father was like that. Non confrontational as they come. Wish I could have been more like him that way but sadly, jerks and morons do have the ability to push my buttons and after awhile you get tired of people taking advantage. As much as I'd like to be more like my easy going step father, I realize that's not me. People need to stop fvcking each other over. Tired of it.