LSD Has Wondrous Uses We Haven't Even Begun to Tap

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Interesting article.

LSD Has Wondrous Uses We Haven't Even Begun to Tap | Alternet

In February 2014, Scientific American surprised readers with an editorial that called for an end to the ban on psychedelic drug research and criticized drug regulators for limiting access to such psychedelic drugs as LSD (Lysergic acid-diethylamide), ecstasy (MDMA), and psilocybin.

A few months later, Science further described how scientists are rediscovering these drugs as legitimate treatments as well as tools of investigation. “More and more researchers are turning back to psychedelics” to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, various addictions, and other categories of mental illness.

Historians of medicine and drugs have long held a view that psychoactive substances conform to cyclical patterns involving intense periods of enthusiasm, therapeutic optimism, critical appraisals, and finally limited use. The duration of this cycle has varied, but this historical model suggests psychedelics are due for a comeback tour. It was just a matter of time.

A PROBLEM CHILD

While treating patients with psychedelic drugs may seem bizarre, in the 1950s and 1960s expectations were “high” (ho ho, apologies). Dr. Albert Hofmann’s discovery of LSD in 1943 drew attention from multiple fields, including psychiatry and psychotherapy Ultimately, “doctors and scientists embraced LSD,” writes Science correspondent Kai Kupferschmidt. By the mid-1960s, the biomedical community had published over 1,000 academic papers on the subject, and researchers reported positive results, if not major breakthroughs, in treating anxiety, depression, and obsessive compulsive behavior.

But just as this was happening, LSD and other psychoactive substances took on a public image as the drug of counter-cultural and anti-authority ideas, associated with the visceral images of the Charles Manson murders and hedonism of the late 1960s. Recreational abuse, in short, helped scuttle research. In 1968, amid widespread disagreement within the scientific and research community over the potential therapeutic applications of LSD, the U.S. government regulated it out of legal territory altogether.

Dr. Hofmann could only shake his head. In his 1980 book, LSD My Problem Child: Reflections on Sacred Drugs, Mysticism, and Science, he captured the mixture of initial excitement of discovery and the gut-wrenching disappointment of seeing his “child’s” potential wasted.

THE RETURN

Before Dr. Hofmann passed away at the age of 102 in 2008, he expressed some pleasure that doctors were studying his so-called problem child again. His native Switzerland, had, a year earlier approved the first LSD investigation in nearly four decades. The next year, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration joined the Swiss regulators in accepting protocols to study whether LSD could be used to treat anxiety.

According to Dr. Peter Gasser, head of the Swiss Medical Society for Psycholytic Therapy, Dr. Hofmann’s final wish had come to pass with this development. He presented his findings (as yet unpublished) in April 2013 at the Mind and Medicine Psychedelic Conference in Oakland, California. He called the paper, which was warmly received, “LSD-Assisted Psychotherapy in the Treatment of Anxiety Secondary to Life Threatening Illness.”

Dr. Gasser’s research—and, indeed, LSD’s resurgence—has various causes. Such organizations as the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies and the Heffter Research Institute have formed partnerships with labs based in the U.S. as well as Switzerland; thus psychoactive drugs have stronger institutional champions. The subsequent advance of the psychedelic research agenda can also be partially explained by a change in personnel at the FDA to a newer generation of regulators, according to Dr. David Nichols an emeritus professor of pharmacology at Purdue University and a cofounder of the Heffter Research Institute.. “The psychedelic revival” as Andrew Brown, writing in The Spectator calls it, has become far removed from the “wackier end of the pro-LSD lobby.”
A FULL-BLOWN COMEBACK?

Yet, for all the progress that LSD has made in the past decade, there have been no major scientific breakthroughs and no marketable prescription drugs. Meanwhile the scientific community and regulatory authorities are still divided over bringing LSD back as a therapeutic tool.

A segment of the press and scientific community have even challenged the “comeback” narrative. Gains have been slow and LSD is still considered by many researchers to be a dirty drug–that is, imprecise compared to other psychedelics. Similarly, in a very recent study based in the Czech Republic, even for those researchers who support the drug there was lack of agreement about whether it was possible to totally eliminate potential harm to a patient during the LSD experience.

Still, researchers are now examining LSD as a treatment for alcoholism, post-traumatic stress disorder, cluster headaches, and as a supplement to palliative care. In the field of neuroscience, researchers have initiated brain studies that explore how LSD “modulates neural circuits that have been implicated in mood affective disorders, and can reduce clinical symptoms of these disorders. Even more intriguing, a couple of neuropsychopharmacology researchers at the University of Zurich speculate in a Nature Reviews Neuroscience article that a drug-induced transcendent peak (or mystical experience) and its integration in the psychotherapeutic process might be the “crucial mechanism that enables neuroplasticity and behavioral changes.”

Dr. Hofmann’s problem child, then, has come back and, while the study of LSD remains somewhat contentious, it ought to be considered in a new context. As turbulent teen? Perhaps in mid-life crisis? If nothing else, according to Nicolas Langlitz in his book Neuropsychedelia: The Revival of Hallucinogen Research since the Decade of the Brain, LSD has matured, and has moved “from wonder and shame to inquiry.”

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It gets you very, very stoned. Wonderfully, hilariously, intensely stoned. For hours.

:)

Not that I know anything about it.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Never met anyone whom got anything good out of LSD but I have met a few casualties-one lives in my neighbourhood has for decades he has a few select doorways he sleeps in on the other side of Burrard St.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Never met anyone whom got anything good out of LSD but I have met a few casualties-one lives in my neighbourhood has for decades he has a few select doorways he sleeps in on the other side of Burrard St.

The intent before usage can make all the difference to the effects.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Stanley Owsley would be proud. The seminal figure of lsd culture and production of the 60s.

Get some of that blue blotter acid with the owl stamped on them, and follow along. It'll be like playing Black Sabbath at 78 rpm.. you'll see God (respects to Cheech and Chong)

Stanley also believed that the natural human diet is a totally carnivorous one that all vegetables are toxic.. which put him at odds with some of the vegan environmental off shoots of the 60s.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
About time they started looking into these drugs again. Having done quite a bit of experiments of my own in daze gone by I did learn a few things. Most important is quality of product. One interesting thing I did find is that different people can have different reactions to the same dose. along with this is your frame of mind at the time. This is where proper research to be done. As we know from antidepressants currently on the market different people can have vastly different reactions. Perhaps using natural occurring drugs like LSD instead of synthetics is the answer.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
About time they started looking into these drugs again. Having done quite a bit of experiments of my own in daze gone by I did learn a few things. Most important is quality of product. One interesting thing I did find is that different people can have different reactions to the same dose. along with this is your frame of mind at the time. This is where proper research to be done. As we know from antidepressants currently on the market different people can have vastly different reactions. Perhaps using natural occurring drugs like LSD instead of synthetics is the answer.

Not expressed in this article is the effects of current drugs to treat things like PTSD,ADHD, ADD, depression and mood disorders is that they all depress the emotions. Slow down the brain. There's a documentary on netflix that talks about the current spectrum of meds that are used to treat these conditions.

The current hope with LDS, Mushrooms, MDMA, etc is that these chemicals don't depress the activity in the brain. It's a completely different treatement.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I did it a few times a long time ago and quite enjoyed it. Frame of mind probably does have a lot to do with how it turns out. The first time I did it I was pretty relaxed and it was really interesting. The friend I did it with was a bit nervous and got paranoid. He thought a building was chasing him at one point. The whole time I was able to tell what was real and what wasnt which helped a lot.

MDMA I did once without my consent. I freaked out with that one as I didnt know what was happening til the next day. It was intended for someone else apparently.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I thought cannabis was the cure all to all that ails you. Apparently it was only the foot in door for the pitch that any psychotropic drug is good for you.

Take a look at some of the film of Pink Floyd co-founder Syd Barret in the late 60s, i'm sure its on YouTube, after his mental collapse into full blown paranoid schizophrenia.. if not started.. at least catastrophically aggravated by his indulgence of lsd.

As medicine.. it's pure snake oil.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Take a look at some of the film of Pink Floyd co-founder Syd Barret in the late 60s, i'm sure its on YouTube, after his mental collapse into full blown paranoid schizophrenia.. if not started.. at least catastrophically aggravated by his indulgence of lsd.

Those who knew him said he was already headed down that path without the drugs. The drugs may have sped it up but what happened to him probably would have happened either way.

If you take the wrong meds its naturally not going to have a good effect. If you take too much of one legitimate med, it can kill you. If you take the wrong med for the wrong ailment, it can damage you. If you are allergic to one and take it it can cause permanent damage or kill you. Does that mean those meds have no merit? No. It just means they should be used properly.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Those who knew him said he was already headed down that path without the drugs. The drugs may have sped it up but what happened to him probably would have happened either way.

Also,

Schizophrenia isn't caused by drug abuse.

Drug abuse is a symptom of issues.

Abuse is the operative word to be used.

Addiction is a mental condition brought on by mental issues. Gambling is not a substance and abused.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I thought cannabis was the cure all to all that ails you. Apparently it was only the foot in door for the pitch that any psychotropic drug is good for you.

Are you aware that penicillin can kill?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
As we know from antidepressants currently on the market different people can have vastly different reactions. Perhaps using natural occurring drugs like LSD instead of synthetics is the answer.

LSD is synthetic...

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
LSD is synthetic...
It is synthetic chemical of a natural substance just like most pharmaceutical drugs. I had the privilege of having tried pure clinical Sandoz LSD back in the 70s in Spain. Nothing on the street could compare. Smoothest rides I ever took. Helped me escape the mind numbing, restrictions of the status quo of mindless consumer society. Even helped me see it for the hilarious insanity it is. LSD saved me from a fate worse than death - conformity and blind obedience to authority.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The positive affects on mood and self doubt of LDS, Mushrooms and MDMA last up to 14 days after a single dose.

currently used drugs to treat PTSD, depression, mood disorders often require a build up period of up to 3 weeks and then must be maintained at certain levels. The coming off of the current drugs used can take just a few days.

This information is from the netflix documentary.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It is synthetic chemical of a natural substance just like most pharmaceutical drugs. I had the privilege of having tried pure clinical Sandoz LSD back in the 70s in Spain. Nothing on the street could compare. Smoothest rides I ever took. Helped me escape the mind numbing, restrictions of the status quo of mindless consumer society. Even helped me see it for the hilarious insanity it is. LSD saved me from a fate worse than death - conformity and blind obedience to authority.

Oh boy.

:)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Clinical tests of the sixties were very incouraging particularly with addiction problems and most interesting was a Japanese study that had great results treating psorisis. I enjoyed it every winter weekend of the school year in 71-72. Most times I,ve tried it since then it was a much inferior product. Itès laughable reading the anti-drug comments. As if the pharma junk they eat wasnèt a drug.

I gathered a few handfuls of liberty caps last month, I think their on the fridge, in a piece of newspaper, it's cold here in the shed this eve, maybe I'll go down memory lane tonight.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It is synthetic chemical of a natural substance just like most pharmaceutical drugs.

It's a synthetic compound which used natural substances as the building blocks, yes that's correct. All drugs come from natural substances.

I had the privilege of having tried pure clinical Sandoz LSD back in the 70s in Spain. Nothing on the street could compare. Smoothest rides I ever took. Helped me escape the mind numbing, restrictions of the status quo of mindless consumer society.

I hope you didn't have to purchase it, that would be ironic! :D