Is Target Canada approaching its make-or-break moment?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Target Canada continues to disappoint both itself and its Canadian customers, the discount giant’s new leader says, but he’s banking on all that changing by the end of the year.

That may be how much time Target Canada has left to get things right before the lights start going out.

“No one is happy with our current performance,” Brian Cornell, the new CEO of Target, said on a conference call Wednesday. “We’ve clearly disappointed our Canadians guests.”

Canadian shoppers still miffed by perceived higher prices than what they saw at U.S. Targets continued to show a cold shoulder to Canadian stores this summer, with sales in the three months up to Aug. 2 falling short of expectations.

Sales at stores that were opened in the first wave of last year’s launch are down, as well — a telling sign that Target is struggling to win sustained business from returning shoppers.

MORE: Target’s biggest headache in Canada? Bare shelves

The Canadian chain, which has launched more than 130 stores since March 2013, continues to deal with “lumpy” inventory stocking issues in stores, Target execs say – an ongoing problem that’s left store shelves bare one moment, followed by heavily discounted fire sales to burn off excess product the next.

The situation has disrupted momentum and helped plunge Target Canada deep into the red through its first year in business.

Sense of urgency

With little to no let up in a stream of disappointing results, experts and analysts have started to speculate that Target could potentially exit Canada, or at least close weaker stores.

The U.S. behemoth “has started to talk about the possibility that if it cannot get Canada on a path to profits, it could be closed down,” experts at Janney Capital Markets said in a recent research note.

Cornell’s comments Wednesday suggest the clock is ticking. “We have to have a sense of urgency here,” he said.

MORE: Target outlines plan to win Canadian shoppers back

The Canadian management team is working around the clock to correct its supply chain woes, he said, as well as develop new price monitoring processes that will give stores greater ability to respond when rivals – chief among them Walmart Canada – lower their prices on the same or comparable product.

Cornell said that he’ll personally be “working closely” with the Canadian team “as we move toward that holiday season.”

Throughout the call there was an emphasis on the Christmas shopping season being critical to Target Canada’s turnaround.

Fall revamp

There’s plenty in the pipeline, Target says, with roughly 30,000 new products being introduced in Canadian stores to help rekindle shoppers’ interest.

New designer deals are being inked for clothing and homecare products that mirror “what we’re known for in the U.S.”, with a slew being readied for launch in September.

Still, the “highest priority” in Canada is ironing out inventory issues, John Mulligan, Target’s CFO said — “in time for the holiday season.”

Target took another big operating loss in the second quarter, bringing total losses from operations to upwards of $1.4 billion since launch.

“The financial performance in Canada remains unacceptable,” Mulligan said.

source: Is Target Canada approaching its make-or-break moment? - National | Globalnews.ca

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

Are you impatient to not be able to purchase what's advertised because they're out of stock?
I understand what you mean. :( ;) I was hoping that targets out of stock problem and other problems would be resolved before the woodbine target opens.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well they have Target here in Australia and for some time now.... When we came back to Canada with my Mother in law, we took a stop into one to see if they were any different.

My wife and MnL were not impressed nor was I.... And I don't even like the ones in Australia. Canada's are worse.

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014

Target Canada continues to disappoint both itself and its Canadian customers, the discount giant’s new leader says, but he’s banking on all that changing by the end of the year.

That may be how much time Target Canada has left to get things right before the lights start going out.

“No one is happy with our current performance,” Brian Cornell, the new CEO of Target, said on a conference call Wednesday. “We’ve clearly disappointed our Canadians guests.”

Canadian shoppers still miffed by perceived higher prices than what they saw at U.S. Targets continued to show a cold shoulder to Canadian stores this summer, with sales in the three months up to Aug. 2 falling short of expectations.

Sales at stores that were opened in the first wave of last year’s launch are down, as well — a telling sign that Target is struggling to win sustained business from returning shoppers.

MORE: Target’s biggest headache in Canada? Bare shelves

The Canadian chain, which has launched more than 130 stores since March 2013, continues to deal with “lumpy” inventory stocking issues in stores, Target execs say – an ongoing problem that’s left store shelves bare one moment, followed by heavily discounted fire sales to burn off excess product the next.

The situation has disrupted momentum and helped plunge Target Canada deep into the red through its first year in business.

Sense of urgency

With little to no let up in a stream of disappointing results, experts and analysts have started to speculate that Target could potentially exit Canada, or at least close weaker stores.

The U.S. behemoth “has started to talk about the possibility that if it cannot get Canada on a path to profits, it could be closed down,” experts at Janney Capital Markets said in a recent research note.

Cornell’s comments Wednesday suggest the clock is ticking. “We have to have a sense of urgency here,” he said.

MORE: Target outlines plan to win Canadian shoppers back

The Canadian management team is working around the clock to correct its supply chain woes, he said, as well as develop new price monitoring processes that will give stores greater ability to respond when rivals – chief among them Walmart Canada – lower their prices on the same or comparable product.

Cornell said that he’ll personally be “working closely” with the Canadian team “as we move toward that holiday season.”

Throughout the call there was an emphasis on the Christmas shopping season being critical to Target Canada’s turnaround.

Fall revamp

There’s plenty in the pipeline, Target says, with roughly 30,000 new products being introduced in Canadian stores to help rekindle shoppers’ interest.

New designer deals are being inked for clothing and homecare products that mirror “what we’re known for in the U.S.”, with a slew being readied for launch in September.

Still, the “highest priority” in Canada is ironing out inventory issues, John Mulligan, Target’s CFO said — “in time for the holiday season.”

Target took another big operating loss in the second quarter, bringing total losses from operations to upwards of $1.4 billion since launch.

“The financial performance in Canada remains unacceptable,” Mulligan said.

source: Is Target Canada approaching its make-or-break moment? - National | Globalnews.ca
Most of our Zeller's stores closed to be taken over by Target. Target was supposed to replace Zeller's as the major Wal-Mart competitor but they are always more expensive. The big winner in all this was/is Wal-Mart.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Most of our Zeller's stores closed to be taken over by Target. Target was supposed to replace Zeller's as the major Wal-Mart competitor but they are always more expensive. The big winner in all this was/is Wal-Mart.

WalMart actually 'stole' a Zeller's store near us before Target could aquire it. While Target and Zeller's were finalizing their deal, nobody bothered to renew the store lease and Walmart made an offer and signed the new lease within 15 minutes of lease expiry keeping Target out of the mall. They have another store 10 blocks away so it was purely a move against their competitor. But gotta admire the business savy and probably shows why one brand is succeeding and one is failing.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Oh good old Crappy Tire! Forget Scotiabank, just open up that coupon drawer or glove compartment to reveal that, yes, we are richer than we think. ;)

WalMart actually 'stole' a Zeller's store near us before Target could aquire it. While Target and Zeller's were finalizing their deal, nobody bothered to renew the store lease and Walmart made an offer and signed the new lease within 15 minutes of lease expiry keeping Target out of the mall. They have another store 10 blocks away so it was purely a move against their competitor. But gotta admire the business savy and probably shows why one brand is succeeding and one is failing.

We have a WalMart here as well that did that not too far from my house, smart move on their part as the next closest WalMart is quite a distance away.

We have another WalMart in a mall from way back when they took over/bought out Woolco. But it's in the mall closest to the 401 that sees a lot of out of town shoppers using it, so again, smart move on their part.

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
I say most because in our case too, some were taken over by Wal-Mart. But I was under the impression that Target just didn't want those locations.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I say most because in our case too, some were taken over by Wal-Mart. But I was under the impression that Target just didn't want those locations.

My impression was not so much that they didn't want the locations but that Target wanted to ease into Canada, but I think WalMart scooped up strategic places even though they typically don't like to be in malls. I think they're ideal is a stand alone store.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
My impression was not so much that they didn't want the locations but that Target wanted to ease into Canada, but I think WalMart scooped up strategic places even though they typically don't like to be in malls. I think they're ideal is a stand alone store.
i'm guessing its because the stand alone stores are larger?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Do we really need another American chain store? The Target store in Nanaimo is generally empty. A giant store with few customers and no service to speak of. When it goes under...good riddance. I would be happy to see the end of Walmart as well. Both these stores are just outlets for Chinese junk........If you happen to buy any, don't worry about it they'll be selling something else next week and person who served you will be gone.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Do we really need another American chain store? The Target store in Nanaimo is generally empty. A giant store with few customers and no service to speak of. When it goes under...good riddance. I would be happy to see the end of Walmart as well. Both these stores are just outlets for Chinese junk........If you happen to buy any, don't worry about it they'll be selling something else next week and person who served you will be gone.

You're a damned liar!

They sell Korean junk too.