Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Maybe so

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Unless we go the route the Swiss took. Plenty of democratic republics around that are better than our southern neighbors' version.
Been to Switzerland. Think we have economic inequality here?

You can buy jeans in Switzerland. Two classes. Under CHF30 or over CHF220. The under 30 ones are crap. WalMart wouldn't sell them. The over 220 ones are a dream of the "flying to the moon" type for working-class Swiss.

I never saw an intermediate class.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

You can buy jeans in Switzerland. Two classes. Under CHF30 or over CHF220. The under 30 ones are crap. WalMart wouldn't sell them. The over 220 ones are a dream of the "flying to the moon" type for working-class Swiss.

That can be remedied. The country is the closest thing to a direct democracy on the planet. Once "representatives" have the power, the people are fµcked.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That can be remedied. The country is the closest thing to a direct democracy on the planet. Once "representatives" have the power, the people are fµcked.
If it can be remedied, how is it that it hasn't already been remedied in "the closest thing to a direct democracy on the planet"?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Is it time we elected an MP, PM and Senate on seperate ballots like a true Democracy?

I don't see what a republic has to do with it. The closest equivalent in the US to the Canadian Prime Minister is majority leader of the House of representatives, who is elected only by his constituents, just like the PM is. The closest equivalent to the US President is the Governor General. So if we were looking at a republic, it would make no sense to have the nation vote for Prime Minister. The prime minister of other republics like France and Russia are also elected only by their local constituents. It could make sense to elect the Governor General and rename him 'president' if that's what you were aiming at. But then again, I also see advantages to a monarchy, though we could possibly modify it somewhat to form a kind of elective monarchy.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

This has what to do with Canada going Republic.

BTW name another currency backed by gold other than the Franc.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Thing is every 4 years, with a majority Govt we can turf one set of critters out and bring in the other party's critters.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I voted yes , but it is not just the government structure that needs to be changed , peoples attitude towards it, this deals with our daily lives we should be made to care and be up to speed with the mechanics of it.
As citizens we are too blaze about it, all we can do is complain

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I voted yes , but it is not just the government structure that needs to be changed , peoples attitude towards it, this deals with our daily lives we should be made to care and be up to speed with the mechanics of it.

The Swiss have referendums. They also have a variety of distinct peoples as well.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I was pointing out that one of the most common gripes about "your neighbours to the south," income inequality, is as bad or worse in Switzerland. I'm surprised you didn't pick up on that.

Never understood the sense of having a commodity-backed currency. Why gold? Why not uranium, or wheat, or Hula Hoops?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Well yeah, anything more than that means we actually have to do something. Complaining is easier.

Thing is every 4 years, with a majority Govt we can turf one set of critters out and bring in the other party's critters.

Problem though is there is not that much difference between the critters.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I don't see what a republic has to do with it. The closest equivalent in the US to the Canadian Prime Minister is majority leader of the House of representatives, who is elected only by his constituents, just like the PM is. The closest equivalent to the US President is the Governor General. So if we were looking at a republic, it would make no sense to have the nation vote for Prime Minister. The prime minister of other republics like France and Russia are also elected only by their local constituents. It could make sense to elect the Governor General and rename him 'president' if that's what you were aiming at. But then again, I also see advantages to a monarchy, though we could possibly modify it somewhat to form a kind of elective monarchy.

There is absolutely no use or benefit in a monarchy. The sooner we get rid of it the better. Nor do we need both a President and Prime Minister. One or the other will suffice.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well yeah, anything more than that means we actually have to do something. Complaining is easier.

Problem though is there is not that much difference between the critters.

I prefer minorities.
I likem lak this.