And Who Exactly is Against the Pipeline?

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
damngrumpy
I have said before the Northern Gateway Pipeline I am opposed to
the reason the company is as shabby as the railroad
Kinder Morgan I am not opposed to
Instead of getting all worked up about rail lines and pipelines we
should be demanding an inquiry into the safety of rail traffic .
Their safety standards and upkeep is lousy. If the rail was in good
order there would not be these serious breaches of safety

karrie
+5
#3  Top Rated Post
I'm not opposed to the pipeline, but I am opposed to what is starting to seem like a conspiratorial spike in train derailments since the pipeline started being pushed.

Wow, I'm really showing off my tinfoil hat today.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

I'm not opposed to the pipeline, but I am opposed to what is starting to seem like a conspiratorial spike in train derailments since the pipeline started being pushed.

Wow, I'm really showing off my tinfoil hat today.

Is the "spike" in the derailments or is it in the reporting of incidents since Megantic?

karrie
hmmmm.... food for thought

Walter
Warren Buffet, he owns railways.

relic
Has there been a rash of wrecks that didn't have oil tankers ?

mentalfloss
It's not a conspiracy.

There has been a spike in rail development and use, so we're getting more incidents.

Walter
+2
Railways are running at capacity and, just like highways, the more they get used the more incidents there will be.

mentalfloss
Holy **** Walt and I agree in something.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Warren Buffet, he owns railways.

Why would he give a sh*t? He'll be dead before the pipeline is built. Some of these old bastards think they are going to live forever!

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Holy **** Walt and I agree in something.

You might want to listen to Walter, he’s a bright boy!

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

I have said before the Northern Gateway Pipeline I am opposed to
the reason the company is as shabby as the railroad
Kinder Morgan I am not opposed to
Instead of getting all worked up about rail lines and pipelines we
should be demanding an inquiry into the safety of rail traffic .
Their safety standards and upkeep is lousy. If the rail was in good
order there would not be these serious breaches of safety

You still haven't looked into who they purchased and when? You really need to learn more about Enbridge on your own without greenie weenie media influence.

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

It's not a conspiracy.

There has been a spike in rail development and use, so we're getting more incidents.

You can thank the anti-pipeline crowd (which would be you) for the rail incidents. Are ya happy?

The oil trains are getting as long as if not longer than the grain trains.

Cliffy
+1 / -1
The Northern pipeline is opposed by most because of its location, running through pristine wilderness. The environmental impacts and the impacts on the lifestyle of the aboriginal people is all negative. There is not enough pristine wilderness left as it is. Use existing industrial corridors. But.... money, money, money... that is all anybody can think about, that and how much mindless consumerism it will allow them to indulge in.

petros
+2
Pristine? Yeah f.cking right.

Are you opposed to the NG pipelines and LNG tankers?

What about bulkers carrying yellowcake, sulfur or potash?

Are you opposed to the bauxite bulkers going in and out of Kitimat?

Zipperfish
+2
I'm not opposed to a pipeline in theory. However, if there is opne I want top-notch oversight by the company and the government, especially with respect to the tankers. The reason I'm opposed to this particular pipeline is because both the government adn the company are trying to greenwash the whole thing, running commcericals of BC wilderness and their boundless commitment to the BC environemnt rather than doing much substantive about it.

petros
The tankers aren't Canadian.

Canadian wilderness? The same one that is contaminated by sodium fluoride from decades of aluminum smelting?

Zipperfish
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

The tankers aren't Canadian.

Thye are in Canadian waters. Part of the problem is the government of Canada deferes to IMO regulation. In the US, they have their own regulations because they found the IMO (an industry-run group) to be insufficient.

BornRuff
On the flip side, if you keep seeing all of these incidents of oil companies ****ing up in their attempts to move oil around, and the catastrophic results, it might not make you all that excited to have them move into your backyard.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

Thye are in Canadian waters. Part of the problem is the government of Canada deferes to IMO regulation. In the US, they have their own regulations because they found the IMO (an industry-run group) to be insufficient.

Do you think there will be different tankers coming to Canada than the US?

Zipperfish
+1

Do you think there will be different tankers coming to Canada than the US?

I believe that Canada should regulate its own waters, not rely on an industry group to self-regulate.

Mowich

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

I believe that Canada should regulate its own waters, not rely on an industry group to self-regulate.

Will the tankers coming into the sodium fluoride contaminated waters be any less than the US standard?

JLM
+2
I wish people would spend as much time and energy working on a solution to the problems instead of just being hell bent on thwarting the project. What in hell is the use of being able to sit on your veranda looking at the pristine wilderness and breathing air and drinking the pristine water, if you have no food on the table and the bank is knocking your door down?

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I wish people would spend as much time and energy working on a solution to the problems instead of just being hell bent on thwarting the project. What in hell is the use of being able to sit on your veranda looking at the pristine wilderness and breathing air and drinking the pristine water, if you have no food on the table and the bank is knocking your door down?

This strikes me a hyperbolic.

petros
What pristine wilderness, air and water? You have reverted to reading Disney in your golden years?

captain morgan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

The Northern pipeline is opposed by most because of its location, running through pristine wilderness. The environmental impacts and the impacts on the lifestyle of the aboriginal people is all negative. There is not enough pristine wilderness left as it is. Use existing industrial corridors. But.... money, money, money... that is all anybody can think about, that and how much mindless consumerism it will allow them to indulge in.

NIMBY

Pristine once you look past the clear cuts, open pit mines and gill nets strung across all the rivers that are backed-up by massive hydro projects.

Cliffy

Billions of tons of food grow wild in pristine wilderness that very few even know exists. People lived in this wilderness for thousands of years without all the crap that we consider necessary today. The forest is a grocery store that nobody uses because we are too busy destroying it to buy crap we don't need.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Pristine once you look past the clear cuts, open pit mines and gill nets strung across all the rivers that are backed-up by massive hydro projects.

Ohhhh that pristine wilderness.

JLM

What pristine wilderness, air and water? You have reverted to reading Disney in your golden years?

You ever hear of playing "Devil's advocate"? -

petros

You ever hear of playing "Devil's advocate"? -

Whew! I thought you went moonbat on us.