Enbridge: Thwarting vs. ensuring safety and prosperity?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Would it make more sense if the people opposed to the pipeline put their efforts in to ensuring that it is a safe and viable facility?

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I don't think people in BC are very convinced that the provincial and federal governmetns are all that serious about the environment.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Ironic comment coming from a province that has no problem releasing 100's of thousands of gallons of raw sewage into the ocean each and evey day

Yes--like I said, they're not that serious about the environment. That's my concern.

The environmental impact of the raw sewage, like the impact of the oil sands, is over-rated by a lot of people.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Ironic comment coming from a province that has no problem releasing 100's of thousands of gallons of raw sewage into the ocean each and evey day
But we elected green party to the house of commons and the provincial legislature. How many other provinces can claim the same ?
That sewage discharge may even be coming from Miss Mays riding .

Yes--like I said, they're not that serious about the environment. That's my concern.

The environmental impact of the raw sewage, like the impact of the oil sands, is over-rated by a lot of people.
How many green party representatives from your province ?

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
My take is that no one is really serious about it - maybe that has to do with the volume of the lobby groups moreso than the gravity and factual seriousness on the issue

Well, I have nothing against resource extraction, or the oil sands, or the pipelines. I just ask the companies to do their part (with diligent prevention and preparedness), and the government to do theirs (in oversight and enforcement). Being in the business, I happen to know that the feds completely slashed their environmental emergency response capability to save money a couple of years ago. To me, that is inconsistent with the economic goals of western Canada to become an oil/LNG/mining powerhourse.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The only objections I have to the Northern Gateway Pipeline is the company
building it they have a lousy track record. The second objection is I don't
want us selling raw materials to Asia period. They have done enough destruction
to our economy and lifestyle. I believe we should refine all raw materials in this
Country. I also agree that pipelines are far safer than rail but send the pipeline
east./west instead and give our future kids the jobs and prosperity.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Maybe by delving deeper they'd get to understand it!
When the Asia Pacific Corridor was announced 15 years ag BC knew full well there would be lots of pipelines and the ability to move their NG from the BC prairie to the coast along this corridor.

P.S. If 1000 BC Moonbeams were surveyed, what percentage would know that BC has Prairies?

to our economy and lifestyle. I believe we should refine all raw materials in this
Country. I also agree that pipelines are far safer than rail but send the pipeline
They bought an antiquated system in the US just weeks before the line breaks. Conoco is responsible for those failures.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I don't disagree with any of that but do you support the Kinder Morgan proposal . They have a better track record and are running along an existing right of way ? Many of the same parties that oppose Northern Gateway also oppose Kinder Morgan , Keystone and running
an existing pipe line the opposite direction .

When the Asia Pacific Corridor was announced 15 years ag BC knew full well there would be lots of pipelines and the ability to move their NG from the BC prairie to the coast along this corridor.

P.S. If 1000 BC Moonbeams were surveyed, what percentage would know that BC has Prairies?

They bought an antiquated system in the US just weeks before the line breaks. Conoco is responsible for those failures.
Hey the Sumas Prairie and the Matsqui Prairie are right here in the Fraser Valley . Who would have known .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The second objection is I don't
Country.
What exactly are we shipping to them? With a little digging you'd find out that while it may not be refined it has had the more valuable petrochemicals stripped out leaving a product that is only good for making fuel, a few lubricants and plastic.

The paraffin from bitumen and heavy oil to make plastics is why it's shipped as a raw material and highly desired.

A plastic industry here would never happen with todays regs.

Hey the Sumas Prairie and the Matsqui Prairie are right here in the Fraser Valley . Who would have known .
I could fit both in my farm.

The Northeast region of British Columbia, also known as the Peace region, has a robust agricultural sector which includes a range of products such as grain, oil seed, honey and livestock. With an abundance of rural and agricultural land and a combination of flatland, foothills and mountains, the Northeast is similar to a prairie landscape.

With close to 2.5 million acres in production, the Northeast region is the largest agricultural region in British Columbia, and home to some 1,800 farms, producing well over $100 million worth of product annually. The area has an optimal low-temperature growing season coupled with long hours of daylight, which make agricultural production successful.

Almost 90% of British Columbia's grain and 95% of Canola are produced in the Northeast. Farms in the Northeast enjoy the dual advantages of low land prices and low cost of production. The area’s proximity to west coast grain terminals is also a significant cost advantage. Areas of potential growth and diversification for the sector include livestock finishing, dairy and eggs, and expanded game farming.

Lots of natural gas under that BC prairie.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
There's a real question as to whether these pipelines produce any generally shared wealth.

They seem to consolidate the colonial economic model in Canada as an exporter of unprocessed natural resources.. creating economic benefits for owners (usually foreign)... while failing to produce the refining jobs at home, OR, the economic benefits that an inexpensive and available energy source could in manufacturing for Canada.

They usually manage to evade high Canadian taxes and wages by exporting product to low cost processers, leaving Canadians paying Global prices for energy, as its own energy is processed at Third World Rates and sold at First World Prices.

It's a rigged game, and the Harper government is a mere appendage and shill for this Global shell game.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Speaking for myself I'd say with 209 conditions imposed they are fairly serious!

Oh yes, they're very serious. :lol:

If the government is so serious about the environment, why did they dismantle their emergncy repsonse team in BC? Why have they gutted environmental legislation in Canada? Doesn't seem that serious to me.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There's a real question as to whether these pipelines produce any generally shared wealth.
They do. Look it up.

Oh yes, they're very serious. :lol:

If the government is so serious about the environment, why did they dismantle their emergncy repsonse team in BC? Why have they gutted environmental legislation in Canada? Doesn't seem that serious to me.
It was Federally gutted because it was redundant to Provincal which is better capable of handling Provincal issues which are better funded by the Feds now.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
They do. Look it up.

It was Federally gutted because it was redundant to Provincal which is better capable of handling Provincal issues which are better funded by the Feds now.

No.

There was a front page article here a month or two ago about a leaked memo from provinicial authoorities that were quite concerned that the feds had abandoned the field. Marine waters are not provinicial jurisdiction.