Alberta coal mine spill heading to N.W.T.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Alberta coal mine spill heading to N.W.T.

The Northwest Territories’ Environment Minister says toxins from a massive coal mine spill in Alberta are making their way north.

On Oct. 31, Sherritt International's Obed Mountain coal mine spilled about 1 billion litres of contaminated water into the Athabasca River. The mine is no longer operating. The spill happened when a retaining wall collapsed, unleashing the equivalent of about 400 Olympic-sized swimming pools of contaminated water.

The Alberta government says the contaminated water is now making its way through the Athabasca River and the Peace River. It should reach the Slave River and Great Slave Lake close to the beginning of December.

MIltenberger says he wasn’t informed of the spill of toxic water until Nov. 4, four days after it happened.

CBC My Region - Alberta coal mine spill heading to N.W.T.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
... As they should be; but it is in the severity of those punitive actions that initial decisions are made for a corp to takes those risks in the first place
Why should we allow those companies to take risks that put our and all life at risk. Who cares if they don't want to invest in BC if they are not willing to guarantee the safety of the environment.

Why are we exporting our natural resources when we could be exporting the finished products f those resources? All you bozos who support this kind of insanity can only think of your own short term gain at the expense of everybody else and the environment.

Someone is getting all that free coal.... Totally unfair
Typical remark of a self centered capitalist who thinks nothing of the long term effects of their greedy activities.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Why should we allow those companies to take risks that put our and all life at risk. Who cares if they don't want to invest in BC if they are not willing to guarantee the safety of the environment.

Why are we exporting our natural resources when we could be exporting the finished products f those resources? All you bozos who support this kind of insanity can only think of your own short term gain at the expense of everybody else and the environment.

Do tell what finished products are made out of coal?
A bit is used for making steel and the rest for energy. Want to build a coal fired generator or three and export electricity? Then you can figure out how to transport that electricity to market.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Do tell what finished products are made out of coal?
A bit is used for making steel and the rest for energy. Want to build a coal fired generator or three and export electricity? Then you can figure out how to transport that electricity to market.
I was thinking of mining in general, not just coal. Corporations are only interested in the bottom line and, when forced, will only do the absolute minimum to safe guard the environment that is required by law. The government is complicit in maintaining that minimum.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

You really feel that way Cliffy?.. Good, it's high time that everyone walk the walk.

Next time your beater leaks a bit of oil - the gvt should haul your *** into the courts and 'demand' that you (personally) clean up the entirety of the contamination you created.... Remember, that oil has gotten into the air and water and the costs will high enough to bankrupt anyone whose name isn't Bill Gates.

Don't have the money?.. No problem.. We'll liquidate what you do have and then force you to work-off the difference.

... Lemme guess, you don't like this plan, do ya?

Great.. Start that business and see how you compete in the global landscape

Typical remark of a self centered capitalist who thinks nothing of the long term effects of their greedy activities.

Awww... Did I hurt your little eco-feelers?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I was thinking of mining in general, not just coal. Corporations are only interested in the bottom line and, when forced, will only do the absolute minimum to safe guard the environment that is required by law. The government is complicit in maintaining that minimum.

What's cheaper paying welfare or creating jobs?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Think of it this way. If this were a natural Fukashima would it matter if a holding pond wall collapsed from a long closed coal mine?

The environment all by it's lonesome made that watershed a nightmare long before man, animal plants or fish moved in.

It has never been a good place to live.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
... As they should be; but it is in the severity of those punitive actions that initial decisions are made for a corp to takes those risks in the first place
Contaminate a watershed, go to jail as far as I'm concerned.

You either build the necessary infrastructure right, and maintain it, or you don't. If you don't, it's criminal in my opinion.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Contaminate a watershed, go to jail as far as I'm concerned.

You either build the necessary infrastructure right, and maintain it, or you don't. If you don't, it's criminal in my opinion.

This has more to do with public opinion in my view.

When the Green peace fanatics gained (illegal) access to Suncor tailing ponds and messed with the infrastructure, there was no action taken by the authorities to have them held accountable for the potential damage they did to the watershed/ecosystem.

.. But let's not stop at corporate entities... Use the example I put to Cliffy about a car that leaks oil or worse, tranny fluid... Why is there no ramifications even remotely similar?

Hell, a fender-bender can impact the water systems - how come no recognition (financial or incarceration) in this case?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
This has more to do with public opinion in my view.

When the Green peace fanatics gained (illegal) access to Suncor tailing ponds and messed with the infrastructure, there was no action taken by the authorities to have them held accountable for the potential damage they did to the watershed/ecosystem.
Well that would be a travesty of justice in my opinion, but it certainly doesn't excuse poor planning or maintenance by company's.

.. But let's not stop at corporate entities... Use the example I put to Cliffy about a car that leaks oil or worse, tranny fluid... Why is there no ramifications even remotely similar?
I agree. It should be part of the bi annual emissions tests we have here.

Hell, a fender-bender can impact the water systems - how come no recognition (financial or incarceration) in this case?
If by some chance a company's containment system is impacted by forces beyond their control, obviously negligence wouldn't be on them.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Well that would be a travesty of justice in my opinion, but it certainly doesn't excuse poor planning or maintenance by company's.

You can expect Sheritt to be getting into high gear on this... The original comment I made had to do with the degree of responsibility that society demands of the 'wrong doer' (ie incarceration)

If by some chance a company's containment system is impacted by forces beyond their control, obviously negligence wouldn't be on them.

Slippery slope... Many of those containment systems require gvt approval prior to the project(s) being approved in the first place. In this case, we don't fully understand why the system failed

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Slippery slope... Many of those containment systems require gvt approval prior to the project(s) being approved in the first place. In this case, we don't fully understand why the system failed
I have no problem with incarcerating govt employees for failing to make sure the systems that protect the environment are sound.