First Nations veteran arrested at Remembrance Day ceremony

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
First Nations veteran arrested at Remembrance Day ceremony

Three activists carrying aboriginal flags were arrested for breaching the peace at the Old City Hall ceremonies, which they said lacked native representation.

By:Stephanie MacLellan
Staff Reporter

Toronto Star
An aboriginal veteran and two other men carrying First Nations flags were arrested at Toronto’s Remembrance Day ceremony at Old City Hall on Monday.

Davyn Calfchild said he brought the three flags to the ceremony to honour the First Nations soldiers who fought for Canada. This was the third year he has gone to the ceremony with his flags, and the first time he was arrested, he said.

First Nations soldiers were not represented in the city’s Remembrance Day ceremony this year.

“I don’t go down there to protest,” said Calfchild, who says he served as a peacekeeper for five years in the former Yugoslavia. “I go down there to show solidarity with our native brothers and sisters.”

A police officer confronted Calfchild and his two friends in the crowd right after they got to Old City Hall on Monday, he said.
“He started telling me that our flags were illegal, that we weren’t welcome to stand there and let them fly,” he said.

Toronto Police say the men were arrested for breaching the peace, shortly before the ceremony started.

“It was disturbing to the others that were attending the event,” said police spokeswoman Const. Wendy Drummond.

“It had nothing to do with the type of flag or who the three people were. It had to do with the disruption of the Remembrance Day service itself.”

A video taken by one of the men, activist Miguel Avila-Velarde, shows Calfchild face-to-face with a police officer. The officer warns Calfchild that he will be removed if he continues to breach the peace; Calfchild repeatedly interrupts him, swearing.

He then yells at the crowd, “This guy says that our flags aren’t welcomed here on Iroquois land.”

I know Calfchild, and to say he's a goon is putting it rather lightly. Besides thinking the whole of southern Ontario is Haudenosaunee land, he thinks he has the right to harass everyday people just going about their business. He's racist, aggressive, unreasonable and a disruptive wherever he goes. Him and people like him are part of the element that fuels and fosters the very negative impression people have of Native protesters.

I haven't seen the video yet, but if true to form, I'll bet him and his friends weren't just standing their holding Native flags. I'm looking for the video now.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
No class.

But the cameraman made me laugh.

"Don't arrest me! What I did?"

Off to jail with you!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I know Calfchild, and to say he's a goon is putting it rather lightly. Besides thinking the whole of southern Ontario is Haudenosaunee land, he thinks he has the right to harass everyday people just going about their business. He's racist, aggressive, unreasonable and a disruptive wherever he goes. Him and people like him are part of the element that fuels and fosters the very negative impression people have of Native protesters.

I haven't seen the video yet, but if true to form, I'll bet him and his friends weren't just standing their holding Native flags. I'm looking for the video now.

What a shame. All buddy managed to accomplish was to belittle the value of his past service and cast a pall over those associated with him.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Seems to me Calfchild went there with every intention of being arrested. In fact it's difficult to see how this would have helped his cause. I suppose he was hoping the politically correct media would fall into line labelling as this an outrage to a Native veteran

It seems evident however that it is just the manifestation of a deeply frustrated and unhappy individual.. cloaking personal demons in some inane political cause.. and completely disrepectful of others who were there to honour ALL war dead and veterans.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
There are no Miranda Rights (similar to) in Canada?
You are under arrest for _________ (charge), do you understand?

You have the right to retain and instruct counsel without delay.

We will provide you with a toll-free telephone lawyer referral service,

if you do not have your own lawyer.

Anything you say can be used in court as evidence.

Do you understand? Would you like to speak to a lawyer?

Under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms a person has the right;
to be informed promptly of the reasons therefor;

to retain and instruct counsel without delay and be informed of that right;

to have the validity of the detention determined by way of habeas corpus and to be released if the detention is not lawful.

Police arrest caution in Canada “Miranda Rights” | Lighthouse Legal Affairs

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
You are under arrest for _________ (charge), do you understand?

You have the right to retain and instruct counsel without delay.

We will provide you with a toll-free telephone lawyer referral service,

if you do not have your own lawyer.

Anything you say can be used in court as evidence.

Do you understand? Would you like to speak to a lawyer?

Under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms a person has the right;
to be informed promptly of the reasons therefor;

to retain and instruct counsel without delay and be informed of that right;

to have the validity of the detention determined by way of habeas corpus and to be released if the detention is not lawful.

Police arrest caution in Canada “Miranda Rights” | Lighthouse Legal Affairs

OK, but they didn't read them their rights in that video, that's why I asked the question.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
OK, but they didn't read them their rights in that video, that's why I asked the question.
I don't think they actually intended to arrest them, as much as they intended to detain them, in an attempt to just let the services go on, uninterrupted.

They were released without arrest after the services.