Man charged over rape, burning death of five-year-old girl

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Give him an ANC necklace.

A 22-year-old Detroit man has been charged with the rape and murder of five-year-old Mariha Smith in 2011.

Darnell Cheatham is facing charges of first-degree premeditated murder, arson, torture, child abuse, dismemberment and mutilation of a body after allegedly raping the child before setting her on fire.

Cheatham was previously arrested and considered a suspect after failing a lie detector test with the child's aunt, Quanita Smith.

Investigators believe Cheatham spent early hours of July 24, 2011, at the house of Mariha's mother and aunt. This is where she was last seen, asleep in the front room of the house.

He is accused of then leaving the house with the five-year-old around 3:30am before sexually assaulting and killing her, then setting the mattress on fire.

When the Detroit Fire Department arrived to the scene of a fire at an abandoned home around 8am, Mariha's crushed skull and charred body were discovered.

"This very difficult case was solved due to the diligence and tenacity of Wayne County prosecutors and Wayne County Prosecutor's Office investigators," said Wayne County prosecutor Kym Worthy.

"Much of the work was done on their own time to finally bring justice to little Mariha."

Man charged over rape, burning death of five-year-old girl - Yahoo!7

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Ya, because killing him will definitely bring her back. :roll:

Nope, but it would save the taxpayer about $60,000-$125,000 a year depending on where he served his sentence. so lets average that to $90k/yr. He is 22. If he lives to 65 that is 43 years at an approximate cost of $3,870,000. I would rather save the $4 million and spend $4.95 on a good piece of rope.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You would rather spend a huge amount of money to not cure the sick Wolf? Very thoughtful.

Nope, but it would save the taxpayer about $60,000-$125,000 a year depending on where he served his sentence. so lets average that to $90k/yr. He is 22. If he lives to 65 that is 43 years at an approximate cost of $3,870,000. I would rather save the $4 million and spend $4.95 on a good piece of rope.

It's already been proven, time and time again, that with appeals and the execution, it's cheaper to keep them incarcerated for life. I know though, that would not satiate many's blood lust for revenge.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
It's already been proven, time and time again, that with appeals and the execution, it's cheaper to keep them incarcerated for life. I know though, that would not satiate many's blood lust for revenge.

Sounds like a story spread by lawyers. If there was definite proof i would enjoy killing that predator.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

Well that is another issue and a problem in the system. If they didn't get twelve appeals (each one costing exponentially more to the state) it would be over in a year or two and we would still save about $3.5 million and that math works for me. I don't even care about the deterrent to others. It saves society a boatload of cash and ensures he will never kill another child.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I have never been in favor of the death penalty without absolute certainty of guilt. Other than that i would spend the money quicker than our gov't has been to allow BC ferries to continue raising the salaries and benefits of the top dogs.

David Millgard was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. No one involved, aside from the defense and their supporters, felt that there was any doubt what so ever that he was guilty. They all would have had no problem pulling the lever if asked.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You realize it is idiots like you who are the reason they get 12 or 15 appeals? As far as I'm concerned you get convicted, you get 1 kick at the cat for an appeal and if that isn't successful you get a quick date with a noose or a firing squad.

David Millgard.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The problem we face as a society is we don't know if we want justice or
revenge. To be fair in some cases I am pondering that division myself.
I do believe there are some people who should never get out of prison
There are others who can come back to society and this guy is not one
of them. The crime he's accused of is nothing short of monstorous.
I have grand daughters and a great grand daughter and I sure as hell want
to make sure someone like this never saw the light of day again.
Should we kill him? If that happens he gets a pass on punishment. Putting
him in jail is a better alternative in my view.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
David Millgard was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. No one involved, aside from the defense and their supporters, felt that there was any doubt what so ever that he was guilty. They all would have had no problem pulling the lever if asked.

Beyond reasonable doubt should never be used against a life.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
David Millgard.

I'm sorry. Was I not clear enough for ya. Child rapists, child murderers, serial killers and serial rapists get a trial, one appeal and a quick date with the hangman or a firing squad. I can be pretty sure if that becomes the system and the process the incidents of these crimes will diminish rapidly. Some will fear getting caught enough to not do it, others will just not be around to do it.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm sorry. Was I not clear enough for ya. Child rapists, child murderers, serial killers and serial rapists get a trial, one appeal and a quick date with the hangman or a firing squad. I can be pretty sure if that becomes the system and the process the incidents of these crimes will diminish rapidly. Some will fear getting caught enough to not do it, others will just not be around to do it.

The woman whom Millgard was found guilty of murdering had been raped and murdered. The vast majority of people at the time felt that the death penalty should have been used for him.