Supremes to hear 7-Up Case

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
he article
This point need clarification
The Official Languages Act requires Air Canada to communicate and provide services in both official languages in the National Capital Region and elsewhere in Canada, “where there is significant demand for those services in the minority language and where it is warranted by the nature of the office or facility.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
More of morons abusing the right at the detriment of the important reason behind it.

While you may have the right to be served in French, it's not for a ****ing soda. The reason you have a right to being served in French is so that government will maintain your access to government services.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I am confused... did they want to order in French and a alternate French word for 7-Up was unavailable?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I am confused... did they want to order in French and a alternate French word for 7-Up was unavailable?

No, their stewardess according to the article was unilingual. So when they went to order 7Up, she presumable spit in their faces and told them to stuff their frogspeak.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
No, their stewardess according to the article was unilingual. So when they went to order 7Up, she presumable spit in their faces and told them to stuff their frogspeak.

These 2 have made a career and money from these situations. As to the Stewardess - I doubt it.
Not in the main article??

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
They've done more of this sort of thing? got links, Goob?
7Up French case: Supreme Court to hear Air Canada lawsuit | World | News | National Post

Thibodeau filed suit in Federal Court for $525,000 in damages. The court upheld his complaint, ordered the airline to make a formal apology and pay him $5,375.95. Thibodeau was later honoured by the French-language rights group, Imperatif Francais.

In 2007, he filed a complaint against the City of Ottawa, accusing it of not providing sufficient bilingual services on its buses.

In the latest case, the Thibodeaus initially complained of eight instances in 2009 in which they did not receive services in French at airports in Atlanta, Toronto and Ottawa and aboard three related Air Canada Jazz flights between Canada and the United States

Air Canada granted hold on language monitoring court order | News | National Post

He won a similar fight in 2002 against Air Canada and then, in 2009, the couple were flying from Ottawa to Atlanta and back with a stop on each leg in Toronto. A few months later, they flew to the island of St. Maarten, with a stop in between.

Several times during their trips they were not addressed in French.

On two of the flights there was no bilingual flight attendant; a baggage announcement made was in English only; a check-in counter was staffed by non-French speakers; a boarding gate in Atlanta was English-only; and a pilot’s announcement on weather and arrival time was not translated, court heard.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
2013 and this was the important news of the day?

It is - AC has stringent rules to abide by - in one of the links- 47 million travelers and 12 complaints on this topic.
This couple are professional Peckerheads that make money doing it.

And I bottled 3 batches of beer yesterday and not a mention by any news agency. Who do I complain to?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Really??? This is what our top court deems an important issue? Give me a frickin' break.

7Up French case: Supreme Court to hear Air Canada lawsuit | World | News | National Post

You know, my family on my mother's side are French Canadian, from Northern Ontario. For some reason I'm reminded about a friend of my uncles who had very poor English skills but wanted to place his order in English when they were at a diner. He got the coffee ordered okay but having a sweet tooth, and a limited grasp of English translation, with a big smile he also ordered a generous helping of 'Citron' Pie. Why does this story remind me of that one? Well, I think we've come a long way from some poor french man trying his darnedest to order dessert (which my uncle still laughs at to this day) in English to the Supreme Court actually hearing a case over a bottle of 7-Up.

We've come a long way down.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

You know, my family on my mother's side are French Canadian, from Northern Ontario. For some reason I'm reminded about a friend of my uncles who had very poor English skills but wanted to place his order in English when they were at a diner. He got the coffee ordered okay but having a sweet tooth, and a limited grasp of English translation, with a big smile he also ordered a generous helping of 'Citron' Pie. Why does this story remind me of that one? Well, I think we've come a long way from some poor french man trying his darnedest to order dessert (which my uncle still laughs at to this day) in English to the Supreme Court actually hearing a case over a bottle of 7-Up.

We've come a long way down.

What really gets my goat, SLM is the amount of taxpayers money being spent over a couple of bottles of soda pop. There really is something wrong with a society that would see their highest court addressing such an ridiculous issue. I know that AC is duty bound to provide service in both official languages and if they didn't then changes should be made - but to take the case all the way to the top court? A lesser court could not have dealt with this?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

What really gets my goat, SLM is the amount of taxpayers money being spent over a couple of bottles of soda pop. There really is something wrong with a society that would see their highest court addressing such an ridiculous issue. I know that AC is duty bound to provide service in both official languages and if they didn't then changes should be made - but to take the case all the way to the top court? A lesser court could not have dealt with this?

Indeed.

I'm curious as to what cases the court has refused to hear. So far I've found the following:

Canada Line lawsuit turned down by Supreme Court - British Columbia - CBC News

Woman in Vancouver drug case loses bid to have Supreme Court hear appeal

Supreme Court Refuses to Hear Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation's Constitutional Challenge | DeSmog Canada

Now, without speaking to the merits in each case of course, the first one pertains to a civil matter which has resulted in hundreds of thousands in income losses; the second relates to searches without a warrant; the third is about treaty rights and consultations. But they were turned down to be heard.

But by all means, lets spend the time, the effort, the energy and the money to decide just how wildly violated some has been to not be able to order a soft drink.

[/FONT]

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Not just that but the airlines will not make these rulings hurt their bottom line. They'll just pass it on to the consumer.

French Canadians really have the nation but the short hairs with this language thing.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Not just that but the airlines will not make these rulings hurt their bottom line. They'll just pass it on to the consumer.

French Canadians really have the nation but the short hairs with this language thing.
[/FONT][/FONT]

This is not reflective of how things are for the whole nation, and they are not reflective of all French Canadians. Both my family, and the family I married into, are French Canadian. They loathe the Quebecois for the divisiveness they sow throughout the country.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
This is not reflective of how things are for the whole nation, and they are not reflective of all French Canadians. Both my family, and the family I married into, are French Canadian. They loathe the Quebecois for the divisiveness they sow throughout the country.

Mea Culpa... I should have said this law really has Canadians by the short hairs.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Mea Culpa... I should have said this law really has Canadians by the short hairs.

Well, they're suing under the Official Languages Act. It's an important Act. It grants French speaking people access to their government in their mother tongue. That's an important thing. The problem comes in when you have commercial profit driven subsidiaries of the government, like Air Canada. It's a loophole for them to abuse, and it twists the intention of the Act. The courts need to close said loophole.