Agency withdraws casting call for CBC show that specified ‘any race except Caucasian’

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
“We were asked to seek a cast of diversity. We mistakenly took that to mean that the production was not seeking Caucasian actors. This was a mistake that was made entirely by the casting company.
“Of course, it’s open to all ethnicities,” she said.

Isn't being caucasion a part of diversity? What a load of crap. The part should go to the person most qualified, regardless of the colour of their skin.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
“We were asked to seek a cast of diversity. We mistakenly took that to mean that the production was not seeking Caucasian actors. This was a mistake that was made entirely by the casting company.
“Of course, it’s open to all ethnicities,” she said.

Isn't being caucasion a part of diversity? What a load of crap. The part should go to the person most qualified, regardless of the colour of their skin.

Silly white boy. :D

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
When they screw up they really screw up. It is ignorance at best diversity would of
course screw everything up. Don't you know nothing? Them pesky white folds just
wouldn't fit in on that there show. Why are ya complainin'

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
When they screw up they really screw up. It is ignorance at best diversity would of
course screw everything up. Don't you know nothing? Them pesky white folds just
wouldn't fit in on that there show. Why are ya complainin'

White folds, grumpy? We're not talking about laundry, are we?;) LOL!

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
WTF is a Caucasian anyways? An asian with a c*ck? You know who calls me Caucasian--racist Asians. It's true. At the hotel I used to work at the Chinese owners said they had to hire "Caucasians" to work the desk to make it look good, but otherwisr they wouldn't hire any because they are not as smart or hard-working as Asians.

If natives/First Nations/indigenous/aboriginals can change their name every few years and negroes/blacks/Afrian-Americans/people of colour can too, then dammit, I demand to be called white. :lol:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Changing this after they were caught likely won't affect the final selection though. ;-)

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Job- Any race except Caucasian- CBC

Not sure if this also restricted the kids in this program to non white kids only as well !!

Leave it up to our tax supported broadcaster to be discriminatory!!

'Any Race Except Caucasian' Posting For CBC Job Raises Eyebrows

---------

The ad calls for audition submissions for a male host between 23-35 years of age and not white for the "Kids' CBC" programming block. Yahoo's Matthew Coutts tweeted that the new host is to appear with CBC puppet "Mamma Yamma" and personality Patty Sullivan.

The posting began making waves Monday afternoon after right-wing blogger and director at the National Citizens Coalition Stephen Taylor wrote about it on his website.

Larissa Mair told HuffPost Canada the post was made in error and that CBC did not send her the exact language. Mair said she was working with the network to change the post's wording, and that technical issues were preventing her from quickly changing it.

Soon after Mair spoke with HuffPost, the 'Caucasian' wording disappeared from the firm's website.

Reached for comment, CBC spokesman Angus McKinnon said the network was looking into the matter.
---------

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Re: Job- Any race except Caucasian- CBC

In other words this was implied, but it was supposed to be on the down low.

Hire anyone but whitey, wink, wink, nod, nod.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

This is not unusual for casting calls for actors. It's not a 'job', it's a role, acting, in a performance.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada

This was not a call for actors, it was for a Hosting Job!! Can't you read??

Once again CBC shows it's true colors!!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

This was not a call for actors, it was for a Hosting Job!! Can't you read??

Once again CBC shows it's true colors!!

lol!!! What do you think the hosts of MammaYamma are?

advocates for equality and fairness do their cause a disservice when they pick stupid instances of 'abuse'.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What other scripted shows do you guy think they should have to scrap their minority casting for? lol.

Sorry, but I don't find it surprising when a fictional show casts a role for a specific 'type'. That's the way tv/movies and acting work.

BTW, here's where I'm really gonna mess with you all..... kids' tv shows were the only place my kids ever saw minorities until we moved to Edmonton. I see nothing wrong with them casting minorities in an educational kids' show.

Further curiosity makes me wonder why people tolerate the gender bias, or the age restriction in the casting call. Too funny.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Good thing they didn't try to screen out blacks, asians, aboriginals or hispanics. :lol: